HDCD list
Feb 13, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #452 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bulbous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, picked up another HDCD.
It's from Coldplay, a 2-CD box with 'A rush of blood to the head' and 'Parachutes'. Asian Edition. Pop/Alternative.
It's labeled HDCD.
Excellent sound!

Does anybody know more info on this release? The UPC and/or where to buy it?

Feb 15, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #453 of 597
Two old albums that I noticed aren't listed here, are Dishwalla's Opaline (alternative rock), and the soundtrack to Disney's Tarzan (soundtrack/rock/pop). Both the backs of those CDs' cases have the HDCD logo on them.

Feb 23, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #455 of 597
Genre: New Age / Chant / Rock
Album: The Dark Side [Japanese Edition]
Artist: Gregorian
Year: 2004
HDCD Logo: Yes, on cover!
HDCD Encoding: HDCD light confirms HDCD encoding.

This Gregorian album is difficult to categorize. While it fits New Age and Chant, it also fits Pop and Rock. A lot of heavy electric guitar and tracks reminiscent of Evanescence.

I don't see The General's Daughter [page 29 of this thread] on the list yet. Has it been missed? It is definitely HDCD with a logo on the back and lighting up the HDCD light.

Feb 24, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #456 of 597
Genre: World / New Age
Album: Guitar Odyssey
Artist: Govi
Year: 1997
HDCD Logo: Yes, on back cover.
HDCD Encoding: HDCD light confirms HDCD encoding.

NOTE:
A couple of links in the main list on page one (this thread) under "Other" are no longer working.
For Vivante Productions try: http://www.vivante.co.uk/
For HDCD Katalogen try: http://www.hifimusic.se/hdcd/?p=home&lang=en

Apr 6, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #457 of 597
I have collected a rather large number of the Grateful Dead HDCD remasters, but I have a question about my latest acquisition, Hundred Year Hall. I just bought the 2004 Rhino remaster, and there is no mention anywhere on the packaging or the discs about HDCD. I've checked dead.net, and there is no mention of HDCD. However, other sites such as cduniverse.com and the first customer review listed on amazon.com (where I bought it from) suggest that it's an HDCD.

I don't have an HDCD-compatible player, and as far as I can figure out, Windows Media Player 11 doesn't offer any way to verify that a disc is indeed an HDCD. I hope I'm wrong about this, because I've read that WMP 9 displayed some obvious information about HDCD decoding, and I'd like to check this somehow with the tools I've got at my disposal before returning the CDs. Going by my ears alone, I would say that this is not an HDCD. To me, it doesn't sound much different at all than the original 1995 CD set I've replaced, and not nearly as good as the rest of my Grateful Dead HDCDs.

Can anyone confirm (or help me find some way to confirm) whether or not this is an HDCD?

Thanks!

Apr 10, 2009 at 12:05 PM Post #458 of 597
Update on the 2004 Rhino Hundred Year Hall remaster: It is NOT an HDCD. I was finally able to verify this using Windows Media Player 9 on my XP desktop, which shows the HDCD logo for all of my other HDCDs, but not this one. With Windows Media Player 11 on my ThinkPad, no amount of messing around with settings will reveal in any way whether an HDCD is being decoded or not.

The sound quality of HDCD vs. non-HDCD live Grateful Dead recordings is rather striking, so I suppose my initial listening test confirmed this anyway. It is odd that so many online music retailers list this album as an HDCD...

Apr 13, 2009 at 12:02 PM Post #460 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheezmo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jewel: Spirit *

Confirmed. Nice catch. Also works as an AccurateRip key disc
biggrin.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #461 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update on the 2004 Rhino Hundred Year Hall remaster: It is NOT an HDCD. I was finally able to verify this using Windows Media Player 9 on my XP desktop, which shows the HDCD logo for all of my other HDCDs, but not this one. With Windows Media Player 11 on my ThinkPad, no amount of messing around with settings will reveal in any way whether an HDCD is being decoded or not.

The sound quality of HDCD vs. non-HDCD live Grateful Dead recordings is rather striking, so I suppose my initial listening test confirmed this anyway. It is odd that so many online music retailers list this album as an HDCD...

Yeah I popped mine into the player, and the HDCD light doesn't come on. This was released in '95 (my copy is the original GDM release) and that predates HDCD I'm pretty sure. As a matter of fact, the entire restoration process has changed quite a bit since then. I can't remember when they started using HDCD, but once they started, they have used it ever since, unlike Neil Young who didn't use it on his new release.
confused.gif
So even though they say it is a remaster, maybe it really isn't. My copy says it was mastered by Jeffrey Norman. What does the 2004 release say?

I just got the two newest Dead releases (2/14/68 & 5/28/77) and they are both HDCD. The bonus material with the '68 show includes lost tapes from the '68 Northwest tour - Crystal Ballroom in Portland and the Eagles Auditorium in Seattle, etc... 22 minute Viola Lee Blues.
tongue.gif
Sounds amazing.

Apr 13, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #462 of 597
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimJo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My copy says it was mastered by Jeffrey Norman. What does the 2004 release say?

From the spine of the jewel case: R2 78940, Grateful Dead/Hundred Year Hall, Rhino.

From the CDs themselves: 1972, 1995 & 2004 Grateful Dead Productions, Inc. Manufactured and Marketed by Warner Strategic Marketing, a Warner Music Group Company. All Rights Reserved. Made in U.S.A.

From the inside of the back jewel case insert: Mastered by Jeffrey Norman.

Based on this information, as well as on what the Rhino CDs sound like, I honestly would say that there has been no remastering done at all. It seems just like a reissue of the same 1995 set.

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #463 of 597
Ok, I have a PC with Vista and WMP11 connected to a Sony STR-DG720 A/V receiver via HDMI with a ATI Radeon 4870. The only HDCD I have is NWA - Straight Outta Compton (just found out it was an HDCD so I decided to give it a try). When I first put the disc in my PC the HDCD logo showed up on the bottom left corner of the player, but after going to the options menu and changing my speakers to 24-bit the logo turned into a play logo.

Now I'm no real audiphile, but there seems to be less distortion now. However it's just weird that the logo would be there, then disappear by simply changing the speaker setting to what they should be to actually take advantage on an HDCD, so I just want to make sure that everything is working as it should...

Apr 17, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #464 of 597
SlaughterX,

If I'm understanding your situation correctly, because your computer is passing along a digital signal to your A/V receiver, you won't be able to take advantage of HDCD decoding unless your A/V receiver has this capability. If the A/V receiver lacks an HDCD decoder, then it won't matter whether or not your computer is decoding the extra information from an HDCD or not.

About WMP 11, I have read here and there that once you enable 24 bit playback, the HDCD logo doesn't show up anymore. As long as it does when this option is not enabled, and you don't experience problems on playback when it is enabled, the decoding should be working normally.

Apr 17, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #465 of 597
Thank you for your timely response. I think my PC is supposed to do all the decoding and send the signal to my receiver as PCM. I know when playing Blu-Rays or anything else from my PC it stays as PCM. Right now listening to this NWA CD my receiver says PCM 96khz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back