HD800s
Jan 15, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #62 of 113
The HD800S bass texture isn't the best. That's why I bought a pair of ZMFs.
I mean the texture is not so important for me, I already use the EMU Teak as subwoofer and HE-500 for the best mids in the game :D . I am now searching for a third more analytical headphone that is able to output a neutral and fast sub-bass as well. Because my two current headphones are more on the intimate and close sounding side, I also love a big soundstage. I am stuck between getting the HD800 on the 2nd hand market or the HD800s. As long as I can perfectly track the sub-bass within the mix then I can be happy.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #63 of 113
I do not get why people associate warmer sound with fun and musicality. Adding bass in replay equipment at best muddles the timing of the musicians due to imprecise timing, ansd at worst ruins the performance.

The description of HD800 range as being clinical is misleading when it comes to musical reproduction. I find them to be the best I have heard yet for accurately presenting the musicians intent, in timing and dynamics. The lighter bass (than Harman curve) means tighter bass. No overhang, bloat or masking. So it gives you everything, far from clinically. I think I have had the most emotionally rewarding playback on these cans ever.

That is because your thinking diverged from that group of people from the get go. I actually belong to that group, being a huge basshead myself. Personal enjoyment when listening to music (and really any hobby out there, whether it's music, gaming, art, cooking, or whatever) trumps original intent any day of the week. To put it less generously, I don't care at all what the original artistic intent is at all or how completely faithful the reproduction of sound is, if I am not enjoying what I am hearing. This is a big part of why I find the whole lumping everyone with high quality headphones together as audiophiles such a silly thing as the totally-not-real term "audiophile" is for people that pursue high fidelity sound reproduction. For the vast majority of people, that is only true to a certain extent. Once the sound reproduction reaches a certain level, personal preference completely takes over and the vast majority of customers move away from the high fidelity or "reference" goal towards something they like more.

Also, for the record, it's not necessarily warmer, just typically much more inflated bass. I know a lot of people that like Ultrasones for example and that's the most V-shaped headphones if I ever seen one.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #64 of 113
I mean the texture is not so important for me, I already use the EMU Teak as subwoofer and HE-500 for the best mids in the game :D . I am now searching for a third more analytical headphone that is able to output a neutral and fast sub-bass as well. Because my two current headphones are more on the intimate and close sounding side, I also love a big soundstage. I am stuck between getting the HD800 on the 2nd hand market or the HD800s. As long as I can perfectly track the sub-bass within the mix then I can be happy.
I would get the HD800S given your purchase criteria.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:14 AM Post #65 of 113
That is because your thinking diverged from that group of people from the get go. I actually belong to that group, being a huge basshead myself. Personal enjoyment when listening to music (and really any hobby out there, whether it's music, gaming, art, cooking, or whatever) trumps original intent any day of the week. To put it less generously, I don't care at all what the original artistic intent is at all or how completely faithful the reproduction of sound is, if I am not enjoying what I am hearing. This is a big part of why I find the whole lumping everyone with high quality headphones together as audiophiles such a silly thing as the totally-not-real term "audiophile" is for people that pursue high fidelity sound reproduction. For the vast majority of people, that is only true to a certain extent. Once the sound reproduction reaches a certain level, personal preference completely takes over and the vast majority of customers move away from the high fidelity or "reference" goal towards something they like more.

Also, for the record, it's not necessarily warmer, just typically much more inflated bass. I know a lot of people that like Ultrasones for example and that's the most V-shaped headphones if I ever seen one.
I finally have the right description. You prefer an analytical headphone if you want to hear the music as originally intended by the artist. You prefer a musical headphone if you want to hear your audiophile gear and the music is simply there to provide sound.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #67 of 113
Too bad it seems to be only for Windows.
Yeah. It's really good software, but it isn't being updated. It would be better if it were sold commercially, then it would be updated and extended to other platforms.

I don't want to run EQ on Windows for long. It just sounds way better than I thought it would. I purchased a Hiby R6 2020 to connect to my Chord Hugo 2 to provide streaming, player functions and EQ. I got this DAP specifically because it supports Android 9 which provides several different EQ options. There is an Android app called Wavelet that does autoEQ of headphones. It also runs Toneboosters and Morphit so you can simulate other headphones frequency responses. It has its own EQ like function called MSEB which alters the entire curve instead of just a frequency band. Also, many DAPs have either 10-band graphic equalizers or 6 band parametric equalizers. I just wish there was a DAP that supported 10-band parametric equalization. I have not found that yet.

iOS sucks. There aren't any good solutions for ios since Apple is so picky about what it will allow 3rd parties to do on their platform and I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone.

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #69 of 113
Yeah. It's really good software, but it isn't being updated. It would be better if it were sold commercially, then it would be updated and extended to other platforms.

I don't want to run EQ on Windows for long. It just sounds way better than I thought it would. I purchased a Hiby R6 2020 to connect to my Chord Hugo 2 to provide streaming, player functions and EQ. I got this DAP specifically because it supports Android 9 which provides several different EQ options. There is an Android app called Wavelet that does autoEQ of headphones. It also runs Toneboosters and Morphit so you can simulate other headphones frequency responses. It has its own EQ like function called MSEB which alters the entire curve instead of just a frequency band. Also, many DAPs have either 10-band graphic equalizers or 6 band parametric equalizers. I just wish there was a DAP that supported 10-band parametric equalization. I have not found that yet.

iOS sucks. There aren't any good solutions for ios since Apple is so picky about what it will allow 3rd parties to do on their platform and I don't want to jailbreak my iPhone.
I managed to install the beta for Sonarworks 4 that's compatible with Big Sur.
It sounds different, for sure. I'm not so sure I prefer the EQ'd HD800S, though. I disagree with those who consider the stock 800S unlisteneable.
My first contact with the HD800S was in a solid state system and it was love at first listen.
But it's pointless to remind the obvious: to each his own. :beerchug:

Jan 15, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #70 of 113
I managed to install the beta for Sonarworks 4 that's compatible with Big Sur.
It sounds different, for sure. I'm not so sure I prefer the EQ'd HD800S, though. I disagree with those who consider the stock 800S unlisteneable.
My first contact with the HD800S was in a solid state system and it was love at first listen.
But it's pointless to remind the obvious: to each his own. :beerchug:
Yeah, since there are so many people who like the Grado sound, it doesn't surprise me that people like the stock HD800S sound.

Jan 15, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #71 of 113
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #72 of 113
Way to be intentionally obtuse. Good job!
zp7hpu6vj7411.jpg

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #74 of 113
Jan 30, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #75 of 113
Does anyone have experience putting a custom paint job on these? Or know someone who does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back