HD800s
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:52 AM Post #96 of 113
Sennheiser has made there higher end stuff in Ireland for a long time.
The drivers, yes. But the assembly of whole HD 800 units only started there about two years ago.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:12 PM Post #97 of 113
Recently bought the 800S; was really shocked to hear how classicial music sounds through them, and classic jazz to a slightly lesser extent. The other music genres are 'good', but seems like my Focal Utopia and Clear are 'better' to my ear for these (rock, EDM, etc.)

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #98 of 113
regarding an aftermarket cable; i'm clueless about what would sound really good without spending a fortune? not sure how the copper/hybrids/silver etc. is meant to be on these headphones. Would appreciate anyone's input on this, thanks!

Apr 11, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #99 of 113
regarding an aftermarket cable; i'm clueless about what would sound really good without spending a fortune? not sure how the copper/hybrids/silver etc. is meant to be on these headphones. Would appreciate anyone's input on this, thanks!
Don't worry about it too much. If you go balanced it could be an improvement if the amplifier does it right, as then the return current are not shared but otherwise it is unlikely to make a difference. The current and signal type for high impedance headphones like these mean you are unlikely to find a real difference detectable blind testing. A slightly higher output impedance on teh amplifer could give a tiny bass boost, as the headphone impedance is higher at low frequencies. The Sennheiser amp has 22R output impedance, but but because of other reasons, but it works well. (The chosen amplifier needs it to remain stable.)

The main thing to worry about on the Sennheiser cable is it only lasts a few years before the insulation on the headphone end perishes. There is a discussion going on https://www.head-fi.org/threads/calling-all-hd-800-hd-800s-and-hd-8xx-owners.967325/page-12#post-17507200

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #100 of 113
I got Sonarworks EQ for my original 800's, and now I know I'll only ever use EQ for my headphones, from now on. Nobody will make headphones more accurate than Sonarworks will correct. I'm going to upgrade to the mic and speaker edition, too. My bass does indeed sound flat down to 20, they lie about it being until 10hz, though. The treble problem is gone, I hope it's not muffled. No, it would only get sparkly if there were more treble. You can adjust the curve from what they say is flat, if you like.

Jul 10, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #101 of 113
I got Sonarworks EQ for my original 800's, and now I know I'll only ever use EQ for my headphones, from now on. Nobody will make headphones more accurate than Sonarworks will correct. I'm going to upgrade to the mic and speaker edition, too. My bass does indeed sound flat down to 20, they lie about it being until 10hz, though. The treble problem is gone, I hope it's not muffled. No, it would only get sparkly if there were more treble. You can adjust the curve from what they say is flat, if you like.
I'll definitely be replacing these headphones with the same model when these go. I got them in 2007, and the headband is snapped, but holding it together with duct tape works fine. They wanted like $700 to replace it :frowning2: Not worth it, but it's actually not a problem like this, there's no chance I'll be reselling them, only buying someone else's used.

I got a Double Helix Clone cable for $600USD. Crazy expensive, but big and fat high purity with good shielding, and it sure does sound just like that, compared to the stock cable.

Jul 10, 2023 at 9:31 PM Post #102 of 113
I love vocals on the HD800S because of the clear presentation and huge sound stage. I also like the intimate sound from the HD650. They are both great. Just different.
Same. I still own both now. Don’t know what happened to my ears or my system but I think my 2022 hd800S to be a mids-centric headphone . And my hd650 is even more mids-centric. I often swap between the two headphones because sometimes I fell the hd800s a little shallow and too “light-hearted”. And sometimes I feel my hd650 too intense and homogenized. I am done with all planars due to their wall-of-sound compressed sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back