HD800's with software EQ - Sounds good man!
Feb 24, 2015 at 7:35 AM Post #31 of 45
Thinking about buying a pair of HD800s despite the need for EQ (by "system matching" or by digital/analog EQ)...

Related to the discussion about the wrong vs not-wrong of digitally EQ:in your headphones and/or hifi-systems.
Let me ask a rhetorical question: Do you think the studios EQ their hifi grade recordings (in digital domain)?

Feb 24, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #33 of 45
When you need to EQ a HD800, something along that sound chain is not working optimally.
It's not meant to be EQed. The way you want to hear how music is reproduced in it's original form.

Well, YMMV with your setup. You may fine-tune it further down the road.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #34 of 45
Ok, I honestly haven't tried it in my chain yet (Benchmark DAC1 HDR), I'm just anticipating based on reviews/comments. The comments are usually very positive on resolution and imaging, but mention that they are light on base and have some tremble peaks.
I'm just thinking that if I don't like the exact frequency response but love the resolution/imaging, I'm probably not gonna treat it as a deal breaker as it's possible to EQ.
Of course, if other headphones for similar price have all the positive sides of the HD800 but not the potential negative frequency curve, then the choose is of course another headphone. :)

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #35 of 45
Thinking about buying a pair of HD800s despite the need for EQ (by "system matching" or by digital/analog EQ)...

Related to the discussion about the wrong vs not-wrong of digitally EQ:in your headphones and/or hifi-systems.
Let me ask a rhetorical question: Do you think the studios EQ their hifi grade recordings (in digital domain)?

Of course studios use EQ. Digital or analog, it doesn't matter.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #36 of 45
Ok, I honestly haven't tried it in my chain yet (Benchmark DAC1 HDR), I'm just anticipating based on reviews/comments. The comments are usually very positive on resolution and imaging, but mention that they are light on base and have some tremble peaks.
I'm just thinking that if I don't like the exact frequency response but love the resolution/imaging, I'm probably not gonna treat it as a deal breaker as it's possible to EQ.
Of course, if other headphones for similar price have all the positive sides of the HD800 but not the potential negative frequency curve, then the choose is of course another headphone. :)

light on "bass", "treble" peaks

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #37 of 45
  So what do you think of big studios EQing their 50000 $ monitors?
smily_headphones1.gif

I don't think they EQ the monitors but the recorded sound.    It took a few listening sessions to get used to the HD800 sound but they sound perfect to my ears,the bass..treble..soundstage..just everything!   I actually afraid that the bass will get bigger with burn in :)   and I own only SS amps.    

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #39 of 45
Most monitors are neutral but unfortunately most listening environments aren't , so studios do EQ thier monitors, and most monitors have built in EQ and calibration system nowadays. Having said that, I'd rather not need to EQ my headphones if I don't have to.

They don't. EQ is used on the tracks themselves, monitors are meant to be completely neutral.

Mar 24, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #40 of 45
Bought the hd800s and loving them from first night. Using a small eq dip at 6khz and don't see any reason not to. It sounds better to me and I don't hear any other differences.
Im using the behringer deq2496 between my sonos and DAC1 HDR to do the eq.

BR,
Simon

Mar 5, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #41 of 45
I have a pair of HD800's since a few weeks now, I have had a pair of Audeze EL-8s (open back) before and do own a pair of iSINE20s. I have to say I love the HD800's and have done the superdupont mod to them. People finding them too bright I can totally understand, although it doesn't bother me too much with most music, everyone saying it has too little bass I don't understand at all. I have tried EQ with the settings of Tyll of Innerfidelity but didn't really like the outcome. I can see it is "easier" to listen to, but is that what you should want from your HD800's? When I listen to music I don't want it to be "relaxing" or in the background, in that case I could also perfectly buy a pair of cheap headphones, but I want the music to be in my face!

Wondering if anybody feels the same way.

I am listening to the HD800's through my iFi Micro iDSD btw.

Mar 5, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #42 of 45
I have a pair of HD800's since a few weeks now, I have had a pair of Audeze EL-8s (open back) before and do own a pair of iSINE20s. I have to say I love the HD800's and have done the superdupont mod to them. People finding them too bright I can totally understand, although it doesn't bother me too much with most music, everyone saying it has too little bass I don't understand at all. I have tried EQ with the settings of Tyll of Innerfidelity but didn't really like the outcome. I can see it is "easier" to listen to, but is that what you should want from your HD800's? When I listen to music I don't want it to be "relaxing" or in the background, in that case I could also perfectly buy a pair of cheap headphones, but I want the music to be in my face!

Wondering if anybody feels the same way.

I am listening to the HD800's through my iFi Micro iDSD btw.
I'm using Sonarworks for the HD800 (unmod) I also tried Tyll's EQ settings, but did not like th results...and I was not able to EQ on my own to my satisfaction. Sonarworks solved it for me.

Bern

Mar 5, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #44 of 45

Users who are viewing this thread

Back