HD800 vs HE500
Dec 22, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #166 of 1,025
This is what Tom Martin said in the AVguide review of the HE500 (which sounds about right to me) [link: avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-47].

1. The HE-500 sounds more harmonically coherent and all-of-one-piece on both human and instrument voices. Good though the HD800 is, it occasionally exhibits very small yet audible discontinuities that the HE-500 doesn’t have to the same degree.
  2. The HE-500 offers noticeably better low frequency extension and pitch definition than the HD800, which is saying something because bass performance is a relative strength of the HD800 compared to most competing headphones.

Jun 4, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #167 of 1,025
A question to those who listened to both the HD800's and the HE-500's. How much smaller is the soundstage of the HE-500's in comparison to the HD800's? Give me a percent haha.

Jun 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #168 of 1,025
Quote:
A question to those who listened to both the HD800's and the HE-500's. How much smaller is the soundstage of the HE-500's in comparison to the HD800's? Give me a percent haha.

Having owned the HE500 and owning the HD800 currently; 35-40% less.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #171 of 1,025
Quote:
This is what Tom Martin said in the AVguide review of the HE500 (which sounds about right to me) [link: avguide.com/review/hifiman-he-500-planar-magnetic-headphones-playback-47].

1. The HE-500 sounds more harmonically coherent and all-of-one-piece on both human and instrument voices. Good though the HD800 is, it occasionally exhibits very small yet audible discontinuities that the HE-500 doesn’t have to the same degree.
  2. The HE-500 offers noticeably better low frequency extension and pitch definition than the HD800, which is saying something because bass performance is a relative strength of the HD800 compared to most competing headphones.

I don't agree with either of these things and I've owned 2 different sets of HE500s (old and new).

Replace the HE500 with the HE6 and perhaps you can make an argument, but even then I don't think all of that's true.

Jun 4, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #172 of 1,025
Quote:

Not on your life...

Jun 4, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #173 of 1,025
Just comparing both now (for the second time), The HD800's are simply better at almost everything, IMHO.

Sep 22, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #176 of 1,025
"Originally Posted by rgs9200m 

2. The HE-500 offers noticeably better low frequency extension and pitch definition than the HD800, which is saying something because bass performance is a relative strength of the HD800 compared to most competing headphones."

Cannot agree with any of the above.  I own two versions of each headphone, HD800 with ALO copper and silver, HE500s with Silverdragons and Cardas.  The HE 500 is not "more harmonically coherent", if anything it lacks depth and harmonic definition compared to the HD800s (comparisons through the same listening rig and material, at the same time).  The HD 800s "...exibits very small yet audible discontinuities..."???  What does that mean?
confused_face(1).gif

The HE500 certainly does not offer "better" low frequency extension and pitch definition- certainly not even close through a Lyr, Vioelectric, Grace m903, or Asgard. They are noticeably more forgiving and less resolving in every level of detail, including the extended low end. 

HE 500s are "warmer" and more "involving" in the mid-range, where they will undoubtedly suck you in through a single play of Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.  At half the asking price, the HE 500s deserve a standing ovation. However, the HD800 are incomparable in terms of sheer stage depth and breadth, dynamic range, color range, micro details, and impeccable fidelity in reproducing the source, warts and all.

Sep 22, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #178 of 1,025
  "Originally Posted by rgs9200m 

2. The HE-500 offers noticeably better low frequency extension and pitch definition than the HD800, which is saying something because bass performance is a relative strength of the HD800 compared to most competing headphones."

Cannot agree with any of the above.  I own two versions of each headphone, HD800 with ALO copper and silver, HE500s with Silverdragons and Cardas.  The HE 500 is not "more harmonically coherent", if anything it lacks depth and harmonic definition compared to the HD800s (comparisons through the same listening rig and material, at the same time).  The HD 800s "...exibits very small yet audible discontinuities..."???  What does that mean?
confused_face(1).gif

The HE500 certainly does not offer "better" low frequency extension and pitch definition- certainly not even close through a Lyr, Vioelectric, Grace m903, or Asgard. They are noticeably more forgiving and less resolving in every level of detail, including the extended low end. 

HE 500s are "warmer" and more "involving" in the mid-range, where they will undoubtedly suck you in through a single play of Vaughn Williams' Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis.  At half the asking price, the HE 500s deserve a standing ovation. However, the HD800 are incomparable in terms of sheer stage depth and breadth, dynamic range, color range, micro details, and impeccable fidelity in reproducing the source, warts and all.

+1

HD 800 is a much much better headphone

Sep 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #179 of 1,025
Hi, last month I bought the 800's with a Nuforce DAC-100 as DAC and amp. Before that I spent a lot of time comparing HE500 (burned), HE-5LE(burned), HD800(unburned), and LCD2 rev2(burned). I was really impressed with the 5LE, I think these are a very good headphones for everything (for me, better than 500's). But, as many people says, the soundstage and the resolution of the 800 are superior, and it's very addictive for me. On other hand, the dark sound and the lack of treble extension of the LCD2 are things which I'll never enjoy.
Last week I listened HE-400 and HD800 a lot. My final though 800 is a much better headphone than 400, but for some music I prefer the 400 for fun. Simple.

(sorry about my english)

good day,
diego

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #180 of 1,025
I just don't buy alot of this "power" stuff. You guys realize that you have meters of 14AWG stapled to 2x4s on the inside of your walls right? I should sell "Audiophile Breakers" could be rich.......
The 800s have a massive impedance swing (from 650 to 350 ohms), and have a very sharp leading edge of a square wave. They are just a bright headphone... even with a nice linear amp.

Ups power supply. Takes the dirty outlet power supply and smooths it to a perfect 60 or 120hz depending on your country minus a very small tick when the capacitors cycle. A computer, dac, amp converts ac to dc and the capacitors help smooth the signal after the bridge rectifier but its the components generally are not large enough to handle the load entirely. The ups feeds a better signal and reduces system stress. "Audiophile breaker" haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back