HD800 vs HE500
Dec 21, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #181 of 1,025

+1

HD 800 is a much much better headphone

I'm using both at this very moment, and I wouldn't say that the HD800 is a much, much better headphone. Yes, the HD800 is unphased by the HE-500 with it's detail extraction, soundstage and imaging capabilities, and it's unforgiving ability to show the tiniest nuances of a recording. But I find that the HE-500 beats out the HD800 when it comes to naturalness, a slightly sweeter midrange, and non tizzy highs. The HD800 is a better headphone when it comes to technicalaties, but it's two totally different flavors.

Also, I think the HD800 is slightly overpriced at $1,499, and the HE-500 is a absolutely sonic baragin at $699, as it's a part of Summit-Fi. If I could price them, the HD800 would be about $1099, and the HE-500, at the original price of $899.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #182 of 1,025
The title of this thread is as absurd as reading of a football game between the New England Patriots vs. the Flying Walendas' Institute of Wire Walking.

HD-800 vs. HE-500: really? HE-6, understandable.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #183 of 1,025
The title of this thread is as absurd as reading of a football game between the New England Patriots vs. the Flying Walendas' Institute of Wire Walking.

How in the world is it absurd? The HE-500 and HD800 are very comparable.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #185 of 1,025

How in the world is it absurd? The HE-500 and HD800 are very comparable.
Yes they are...when cows bark.

Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets:
"Spread crazy somewhere else, we are all full here."

Gotta say I agree with Mambosenior here. The HE-500 and HD-800 are really not comparable. The HE-6 is more in line with it because of the greater imaging, stage and treble. Not to mention the HE-6 has far superior bass to the HD-800, both in quantity and quality. FR graphs don't mean squat when playing full range music.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #186 of 1,025
Interesting. I really don't agree in the slightest both ways, but I guess YMMV.

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM Post #187 of 1,025

Well, I have all 3 HE-500 HE-6 and HD-800 here at my disposal. I guess we will agree to disagree.

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #188 of 1,025

Based on my experience and intensive comparison between HE500 and HD800, HD800 is the better one but not really by much to justify the price tag.  That's the only reason HD800 is not in my stable at home yet.  I personally find HE500 much more enjoyable overall.

Remember when people pay $1400 for something, they don't want to hear that it's only as good as something that cost $700.  
biggrin.gif
 It got to be better by as much as possible, always!

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #189 of 1,025
  Based on my experience and intensive comparison between HE500 and HD800, HD800 is the better one but not really by much to justify the price tag.  That's the only reason HD800 is not in my stable at home yet.  I personally find HE500 much more enjoyable overall.

Remember when people pay $1400 for something, they don't want to hear that it's only as good as something that cost $700.  
biggrin.gif
 It got to be better by as much as possible, always!

I certainly hope you're not misconstruing that last statement with me. I think the HE-500 is a great value, and the HD-800 a little overpriced. The HE-6 however is spot on for its price. No justification here, I am not a HD-800 fanboy that considers it God's gift to headphone listeners 
tongue.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #190 of 1,025
Ups power supply. Takes the dirty outlet power supply and smooths it to a perfect 60 or 120hz depending on your country minus a very small tick when the capacitors cycle. A computer, dac, amp converts ac to dc and the capacitors help smooth the signal after the bridge rectifier but its the components generally are not large enough to handle the load entirely. The ups feeds a better signal and reduces system stress. "Audiophile breaker" haha

The signal is what we listen to and it definitely does not pass through the bridge rectifier or get smoothed by the capacitors after that or anywhere near that. A UPS will not affect the sound, only keep it going if the power fails. In most designs it shouldn't kick in unless the power fails or goes below a threshold. Some provide continuous power. In any case this should not affect one's sound. If one's powerline is that noisy as to impose noise or interference in their audio chain then perhaps one needs a powerline filter/conditioner. This would not be a common condition to most folks, by far.
Edit: A UPS has nothing directly to do with the signal, it is directly involved with the power. The closest it comes to the signal is that if the power and UPS fails, one has no signal. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #191 of 1,025
I think the HD800 have far better scaling than HE-500. While I have not heard the HD800 through anything other than a Bottlehead Crack, the fact it's quite agreed upon to be one of the best headphones ever must mean it becomes a completely different beast with a better amp. The same is true for the HE-500, but in different metrics. The HE-500 benefits from power, at least 2 watts of power. When I first got my HE-500, I was underdriving it with a WA7, which is a decent headphone amp in general. It sounded very mediocre and could become harsh and thin at times. I found out about using a speaker amp to driven the HE-500, so I got an Emotiva MiniX for a less than a fifth the price of the WA7, and it was a completely different beast. I think this fact is overlooked by a lot of brief HE-500 owners. They simply plug it into their existing gear, which is likely underpowered, and then claim the sound isn't impressive and return it before exploring proper amping options. You wouldn't try to plug a Stax SR-009 into a normal headphone amp, now would you? (Assuming it used a TRS jack. Just making point on different headphone technologies needing different things.)

I recently was able to compare with my friend's HD800 for a week, though I only had a Crack to drive it. The HE-500 was on par with the HD800 with this setup, with the HE-500 winning in some genres such as rock or pop due to its impactful bass, and HD800 winning in genres like classical or orchestral due its soundstage. A week after I returned the HD800 to my friend, I added a tube preamp (Bottlehead Quickie) to my HE-500 chain, and to me it deepened the soundstage, and provided more tactility and realism to vocals and instruments. Comparing my current HE-500 setup with the HD800+Crack from memory, I have to say, for everything except genres that absolutely requires the widest soundstage, my HE-500 sounds better. My friend also only uses the Crack to drive his HD800, and I've told him since that he's not close to getting the full potential out of the HD800. I think if it comes down to having only $1500-2000 to spend on both headphone and amp, there are better options than the HD800 as your headphones. Now if you are going to get the HD800 with the intention on getting a really good amp in the future, then it's fine buying it as a stepping stone, and getting by for the time being on something like the Crack. My friend believes the HD800+Crack is the endgame for him, but to me there are better options for that price, and it's a waste of the HD800 if he's just going to stop there. My HE-500 setup is only about $1000 with everything at full price.

Even I have realized that I cannot justify spending a lot more to squeeze a bit more out of the HE-500. At less than $300 for the Quickie and Emotiva, it would be hard to justify spending over $1000 for a slight improvement. I'm satisfied with my setup for the HE-500, and it's likely my end setup for the HE-500. With all that said, I went ahead and bought the HD800 the other day when it was on sale for $890 on Amazon. I'm treating it as a stepping stone. I don't plan to get a better amp for the time being, nor have the funds to do so, but it's a long term project to work towards getting better equipment to do the HD800 justice. I'll make the following metaphor since I found many people on these forums to also be gamers. In RPGs in particular, a lot of times there are weapons that do great base damage, but doesn't scale well to stats or upgrades. These weapons are usually great during the time they are found, but become less effective as you progress through the game. Then there are weapons that have mediocre base stats when first obtained, but become the best weapons at the endgame because it has better upgrades and scales better with the character stats. These weapons also take a lot more in game money and effort to upgrade, with its full potential locked until the endgame. I think the HE-500 is like the former, and the HD800 to be the latter.

To sum up, the HE-500 has less scalability than the HD800, but you can get close to the HE-500's full potential for a lot cheaper than the HD800. To me comparing a near full potential HE-500 to an average HD800 setup, the HE-500 wins. Bringing out the full potential of the HD800 will cost many times more than the HD800 itself.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #193 of 1,025
  Wow, who was selling the HD800 on Amazon for $890. You lucky dog.

Amazon, not even third party. http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/1320#post_10081987

It was posted on the deals thread the other day, and the stock lasted all of 30 minutes lol. People speculated it was a mispricing or they were just trying to move inventory near the end of the year. Either way, it shipped today so they've honored the price.
biggrin.gif

I figure at worst I could make a few hundred bucks if I really didn't like it.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #194 of 1,025
  Wow, who was selling the HD800 on Amazon for $890. You lucky dog.

Amazon, not even third party. http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/1320#post_10081987

It was posted on the deals thread the other day, and the stock lasted all of 30 minutes lol. People speculated it was a mispricing or they were just trying to move inventory near the end of the year. Either way, it shipped today so they've honored the price.
biggrin.gif

I figure at worst I could make a few hundred bucks if I really didn't like it.

I suspect that you'll be keeping them, Like I said, "You lucky dog." Damn it, I missed that window.

Dec 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #195 of 1,025
  I certainly hope you're not misconstruing that last statement with me. I think the HE-500 is a great value, and the HD-800 a little overpriced. The HE-6 however is spot on for its price. No justification here, I am not a HD-800 fanboy that considers it God's gift to headphone listeners 
tongue.gif

+1 on all points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back