HD800 vs HE500
Dec 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM Post #196 of 1,025

Amazon, not even third party. http://www.head-fi.org/t/692119/the-deals-discussion-thread-read-the-first-post/1320#post_10081987

It was posted on the deals thread the other day, and the stock lasted all of 30 minutes lol. People speculated it was a mispricing or they were just trying to move inventory near the end of the year. Either way, it shipped today so they've honored the price.
biggrin.gif

I figure at worst I could make a few hundred bucks if I really didn't like it.

If you don't like it, send me a PM.  We'll talk.

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #198 of 1,025
Dec 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #201 of 1,025
Dec 21, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #202 of 1,025
  ^ This is turning towards a direction I'll decline to take part in.

Roflmao.  This is too funny.

Not enough butter. Looks like the price of entry just went back up to $1349.95. And Sennheiser calls that a Christmas sale price. 
angry_face.gif

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #204 of 1,025
  I think the HD800 have far better scaling than HE-500. While I have not heard the HD800 through anything other than a Bottlehead Crack, the fact it's quite agreed upon to be one of the best headphones ever must mean it becomes a completely different beast with a better amp. The same is true for the HE-500, but in different metrics. The HE-500 benefits from power, at least 2 watts of power. When I first got my HE-500, I was underdriving it with a WA7, which is a decent headphone amp in general. It sounded very mediocre and could become harsh and thin at times. I found out about using a speaker amp to driven the HE-500, so I got an Emotiva MiniX for a less than a fifth the price of the WA7, and it was a completely different beast. I think this fact is overlooked by a lot of brief HE-500 owners. They simply plug it into their existing gear, which is likely underpowered, and then claim the sound isn't impressive and return it before exploring proper amping options. You wouldn't try to plug a Stax SR-009 into a normal headphone amp, now would you? (Assuming it used a TRS jack. Just making point on different headphone technologies needing different things.)

I recently was able to compare with my friend's HD800 for a week, though I only had a Crack to drive it. The HE-500 was on par with the HD800 with this setup, with the HE-500 winning in some genres such as rock or pop due to its impactful bass, and HD800 winning in genres like classical or orchestral due its soundstage. A week after I returned the HD800 to my friend, I added a tube preamp (Bottlehead Quickie) to my HE-500 chain, and to me it deepened the soundstage, and provided more tactility and realism to vocals and instruments. Comparing my current HE-500 setup with the HD800+Crack from memory, I have to say, for everything except genres that absolutely requires the widest soundstage, my HE-500 sounds better. My friend also only uses the Crack to drive his HD800, and I've told him since that he's not close to getting the full potential out of the HD800. I think if it comes down to having only $1500-2000 to spend on both headphone and amp, there are better options than the HD800 as your headphones. Now if you are going to get the HD800 with the intention on getting a really good amp in the future, then it's fine buying it as a stepping stone, and getting by for the time being on something like the Crack. My friend believes the HD800+Crack is the endgame for him, but to me there are better options for that price, and it's a waste of the HD800 if he's just going to stop there. My HE-500 setup is only about $1000 with everything at full price.

Even I have realized that I cannot justify spending a lot more to squeeze a bit more out of the HE-500. At less than $300 for the Quickie and Emotiva, it would be hard to justify spending over $1000 for a slight improvement. I'm satisfied with my setup for the HE-500, and it's likely my end setup for the HE-500. With all that said, I went ahead and bought the HD800 the other day when it was on sale for $890 on Amazon. I'm treating it as a stepping stone. I don't plan to get a better amp for the time being, nor have the funds to do so, but it's a long term project to work towards getting better equipment to do the HD800 justice. I'll make the following metaphor since I found many people on these forums to also be gamers. In RPGs in particular, a lot of times there are weapons that do great base damage, but doesn't scale well to stats or upgrades. These weapons are usually great during the time they are found, but become less effective as you progress through the game. Then there are weapons that have mediocre base stats when first obtained, but become the best weapons at the endgame because it has better upgrades and scales better with the character stats. These weapons also take a lot more in game money and effort to upgrade, with its full potential locked until the endgame. I think the HE-500 is like the former, and the HD800 to be the latter.

To sum up, the HE-500 has less scalability than the HD800, but you can get close to the HE-500's full potential for a lot cheaper than the HD800. To me comparing a near full potential HE-500 to an average HD800 setup, the HE-500 wins. Bringing out the full potential of the HD800 will cost many times more than the HD800 itself.

Mirrors a lot of my impressions. I used to not think that the HE-500's scaled very well, and then I heard them pushed to the max on the Manley Stingray, rivaling the HE-6.

When I had the rare opporunity to do a comparitive article of the flagships (I had the LCD-2, LCD-3, T1, HE-6, HE-500, and the HD800), it was a lot different than I expeted. Like, a lot different. I still need to transfer the ink review over to my website, Audio Excursions, but for starters, it's realy surprising to me just how much more sonics you are able to push out of the HE-500 on a speaker amp. I was listening to everything through the Rein Audio X-DAC and the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire, and while I hate to admit this, I thought the HD800 destroyed the HE-500 in terms of resolution, soundstage, imaging, and a few other elements, and there were even sometimes when the HE-6 lagged behind the HE-500. Then I put the HE-6 on the Manley Stingray (still being sourced by the X-DAC), and was blown away. Easily on par with HD800 in terms of resolution and detail extraction, and easily besting the HD800 when it came to PRaT. And that bass, oh, the bass was so tight, articulated, and some of the fastest attack and decay times. The HE-500 reached about 70% of the HE-6's performance when on the Burson HA-160DS and about 80% on the Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire. And then came an even bigger surprise when I put the HE-500 on speaker taps. So much more fluid sound, extremely detailed, not quite on par with the HD800 and the HE-6 when it came to resolution and imaging, but very, very close. Slightly less bass, but just as fast as the HE-6, the HE-500 was pushing 90-95% of what the HE-6 is at it's maximum. You really need a high-end speaker amp to drive BOTH the HE-500 and the HE-6 to their maximum. Sure, the HE-500 is more effecient, and is loud with regular headphone amplifiers, but it's like the HE-6's twin when it comes to driving neccessities. HE-500 on the Stingray was about 9.5/10 of the HD800's performance sans detail extraction and the HE-6 matched the HD800. The HD800 should be the exact same price as the HE-6, and the HE-500 maybe $100-$200 less, ideally.

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:25 AM Post #205 of 1,025
the HE-500 is smoother and i think more refined in several ways over the HE-6 (mostly tonally and having a sweeter midrange and a cleaner treble)

but the HE-6 has transparency, detail, speed, decay, and bass over the HE-500. the HE-6 for me has the best bass i've ever heard. tight, deep, balanced with just the right amount of decay, good punch and great extension. 

Dec 22, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #206 of 1,025
  the HE-500 is smoother and i think more refined in several ways over the HE-6 (mostly tonally and having a sweeter midrange and a cleaner treble)

but the HE-6 has transparency, detail, speed, decay, and bass over the HE-500. the HE-6 for me has the best bass i've ever heard. tight, deep, balanced with just the right amount of decay, good punch and great extension. 

I agree with all of the above to an extent. I think people take the above bolded way out of proportion when they say, "IT'S A MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN THE HE-500."

And yes, the HE-6 has the best bass I've ever heard. It's so coherent, so lightning quick, the fastest transeint reponse time, and my god, it is tight. But the HE-500 is close...very close. 
wink.gif

The original reason I got the HE-500 over the HE-6 was because I liked the smoother, and slightly more relaxing midrange of the HE-500. Slightly more forgiving, but not nearly to the point of making any recording sound good. Out of the Stingray, the HE-500 will rip apart music that's not recorded with quality in mind or has little to no dynamic range.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #207 of 1,025
the HE-500 sucks in the sub-bass though, its loose and wooly as well, it extendeds deep but it doesn't really sound like it. the rest of the bass is pretty good on the HE-500, just the sub-bass depth and control where the HE-6 is much better.

the He-500 scales up very good. the best i've heard so far is the Allnic HPA-5000. second would be the GSX MK2 followed by everything else.

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #208 of 1,025
  the HE-500 sucks in the sub-bass though, its loose and wooly as well, it extendeds deep but it doesn't really sound like it. the rest of the bass is pretty good on the HE-500, just the sub-bass depth and control where the HE-6 is much better.

the He-500 scales up very good. the best i've heard so far is the Allnic HPA-5000. second would be the GSX MK2 followed by everything else.

You need to hear it on either a Stingray or something of similar performance and those impressions will become completely reversed. I agree, when not on a proper speaker amp.

Dec 22, 2013 at 7:09 AM Post #209 of 1,025

We obviously hear things very similarly, HE-6 for me has the best bass I've ever heard also.

Really do need to hear the HE-500 sometime though.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #210 of 1,025
HE-500 is good most of the time and anybody plugging it into anything will get it's "proper" sound.

HE-6 can put the hurtin' on you if you don't give it enough current, dem treble spikes.

Taming something difficult is fun though, and thats why it has something of a cult following. I personally believe it's in my top 3 headphones, along with HD-800, and LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back