HD800 vs HE500
Jan 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #466 of 1,025
  No it will not get closed now because the misunderstanding has been corrected by Woo, and my eyesight. 
tongue.gif

Back on topic....
Has anyone tried the HD-800 off speaker taps?
popcorn.gif

I have with the Emotiva MiniX and so has koiloco. Though to be honest, my time spent was almost entirely done with the Quickie as the preamp. I did try briefly just the Emotiva, but it didn't sound as good, so I didn't keep that setup going for long. The Quickie + Emotiva sounded better than the Crack for the HD800 to me, which was surprising. However, I was recently encouraged to try Quickie + Crack by people from the Bottlehead forums. At first I had my reservations since I've never heard of preamping a headphone amp, but once I plugged it in, it sounded even better than Quickie + Emotiva. So ultimately, the Emotiva was not as good as the Crack. It was just the Quickie doing all the job in both setups, imo. You can see a far more in-depth post on this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/7140#post_10121352

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #467 of 1,025
PICK ME PICK ME.

No, but seriously. It doesn't sound all that great, worse actually. And it's ear splitting.

Yeah, I found the same results too. Boo!

We ar win the process of updating the website and its been a little slower than we want but we will update all the specifications when the new site is done.

OK, thank you for taking the time to explain, and acknowledging the specs need a better clarification.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #468 of 1,025
I wouldn't recommend it but I have heard the HD800 off speaker taps. However that was on a First Watt F3 clone which isn't exactly the most powerful amp. It sounded very good however. When I had the emotiva mini X amp I didn't want to try it with the HD800.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #469 of 1,025
  I have with the Emotiva MiniX and so has koiloco. Though to be honest, my time spent was almost entirely done with the Quickie as the preamp. I did try briefly just the Emotiva, but it didn't sound as good, so I didn't keep that setup going for long. The Quickie + Emotiva sounded better than the Crack for the HD800 to me, which was surprising. However, I was recently encouraged to try Quickie + Crack by people from the Bottlehead forums. At first I had my reservations since I've never heard of preamping a headphone amp, but once I plugged it in, it sounded even better than Quickie + Emotiva. So ultimately, the Emotiva was not as good as the Crack. It was just the Quickie doing all the job in both setups, imo. You can see a far more in-depth post on this here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/650510/the-new-hd800-appreciation-thread/7140#post_10121352

I used a LDR-based preamp with my Crack and it was great! Keep in mind though that my Crack is pretty much a cost-no-object concept (not stock).

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #470 of 1,025

Awesome! I would trade my HE-500 with your HD800. 
wink.gif

I have both HE500 and HD800 and know exactly how they are stacking up against each other.  But thx for the offer though.  It's very generous of you! 
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:52 AM Post #471 of 1,025
This thread is not going anywhere productively in my book.  
All I will say is that personally I have both HE500 and HD800 and the amps I am driving these 2 HPs with could be considered pretty optimal. The HD800 and HE500 are quite close together in SQ to not be considered to be in the same league.  HD800 is a touch better in details/soundstage/imaging, but not really by much.  For me, the HE500 is the all rounder cuz of its forgiving nature while the HD800 is brutally accurate and unforgiving.  They each have equal purpose/usage in my stable.

I officially bow out from the thread.  Too much smoke and $ related thinking/reasoning/imagination for me.  Peace out.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #472 of 1,025
Haha, I would never trade my HE-500 for an HD800 or an HE-6. I would trade it for an LCD-3, so I could buy another HE-500 and use the extra money on something else...heh.

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #474 of 1,025
  No it will not get closed now because the misunderstanding has been corrected by Woo (still confusing on their website though), and my eyesight. 
tongue.gif

Back on topic....
Has anyone tried the HD-800 off speaker taps?
popcorn.gif

I use a heavily upgraded McIntosh MC225 with both my HE6 and HD800. It's absolutely fantastic.

For the record, the HE500 sound a bit sloppy in comparison on it.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 2, 2014 at 3:20 AM Post #475 of 1,025
  I have both HE500 and HD800 and know exactly how they are stacking up against each other.  But thx for the offer though.  It's very generous of you! 
tongue.gif

I also have an HD580, if you want to consider for trade. 
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #477 of 1,025
  I use a heavily upgraded McIntosh MC225 with both my HE6 and HD800. It's absolutely fantastic.

For the record, the HE500 sound a bit sloppy in comparison on it.

+1

When it comes down to it.  That's where the HE-500 take a back seat to the other TOTL cans.  The bass can be sloppy at times and the treble area can be off at times.  While the bass and the treble of the HE-6 is more refined.  Why else would it be the companies Flagship headphone?

The mids on the HE-500s are to die for with some music.  

Jan 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #478 of 1,025
  +1

When it comes down to it.  That's where the HE-500 take a back seat to the other TOTL cans.  The bass can be sloppy at times and the treble area can be off at times.  While the bass and the treble of the HE-6 is more refined.  Why else would it be the companies Flagship headphone?

The mids on the HE-500s are to die for with some music.  

I'd never use the word "Sloppy" to ever describe the HE-500's bass, on a speaker amplifier or headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back