HD800 vs HE500
Jan 2, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #481 of 1,025
It's a flawed argument though, because there are many headphones above HE500's price range that have looser / less defined bass still. Hi-fi isn't just about supreme "top 5" bass definition otherwise a big chunk of threads would have to be removed from summit-fi.

Edit: but I do concur that stock HE500s have some lacklustre traits that in my opinion prevent them from giving a truly high-fidelity delivery of performance. It was a big reason why I dipped so much into modding them in the first place, to get them to a state where they sound very hi-fi, and I think I got pretty close.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #482 of 1,025
  It's a flawed argument though, because there are many headphones above HE500's price range that have looser / less defined bass still. Hi-fi isn't just about supreme "top 5" bass definition otherwise a big chunk of threads would have to be removed from summit-fi.

Edit: but I do concur that stock HE500s have some lacklustre traits that in my opinion prevent them from giving a truly high-fidelity delivery of performance. It was a big reason why I dipped so much into modding them in the first place, to get them to a state where they sound very hi-fi, and I think I got pretty close.

Huh?  

Not talking about many headphones here.  Just talking in relative terms as far as comparing two or three specific headphones to each other.  Regardless of the price rage.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #483 of 1,025
  Don't be confused.  I'm not saying it has sloppy bass.  I'm saying if you compared it to more refined bass, it's relatively sloppy only in comparison.

The statement comes across as plain sloppy. Perhaps you might consider phrasing this differently in the future.

Jan 2, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #484 of 1,025
  The statement comes across as plain sloppy. Perhaps you might consider phrasing this differently in the future.

Quote:
  I use a heavily upgraded McIntosh MC225 with both my HE6 and HD800. It's absolutely fantastic.

For the record, the HE500 sound a bit sloppy in comparison on it.

Quote:
  +1

When it comes down to it.  That's where the HE-500 take a back seat to the other TOTL cans.  The bass can be sloppy at times and the treble area can be off at times.  While the bass and the treble of the HE-6 is more refined.  Why else would it be the companies Flagship headphone?

The mids on the HE-500s are to die for with some music.  

Please point out where that statement comes off as being "plain sloppy"  In all was said,it was said in comparisons.  Not in an absolute sense of just being sloppy.  Again, point out where it comes off as "plain sloppy" 

Perhaps you should consider reading more carefully in the future
cool.gif

Here is another interesting thread with comparisons to other Hifiman headphones.  Again, "IN COMPARISON"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #485 of 1,025

Please point out where that statement comes off as being "plain sloppy"  In all was said,it was said in comparisons.  Not in an absolute sense of just being sloppy.  Again, point out where it comes off as "plain sloppy" 

Perhaps you should consider reading more carefully in the future
cool.gif

Here is another interesting thread with comparisons to other Hifiman headphones.  Again, "IN COMPARISON"

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692229/he-400-vs-he-500-vs-he-4-comparison

If someone said that one dressed sloppy, it means more than leaving one button open on their collar. Comparison also involves magnitude. "A little bit loose" or just plain "Sloppy?"

Jan 2, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #487 of 1,025
  If someone said that one dressed sloppy, it means more than leaving one button open on their collar. Comparison also involves magnitude. "A little bit loose" or just plain "Sloppy?"

lol.. I asked you to point out in my post.  I see you couldn't do that lol..  Instead you talk about dresses lol.. We're not talking about what some one hypothetically said, we're talking about what I specifically said. lol...

No, the context here is what count.  

Plus did you or did you not see what I replied to?  If not here it is again.  

Quote:
  I use a heavily upgraded McIntosh MC225 with both my HE6 and HD800. It's absolutely fantastic.

This post set the context and I just followed suit.  Oh and isn't this thread a comparison thread?  It's good to know how to keep conversations in it's proper context. 

Don't worry about it man.  I will be more clear next time for those who have a hard time staying in context.
blink.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #488 of 1,025
  lol.. I asked you to point out in my post.  I see you couldn't do that lol..  Instead you talk about dresses lol.. We're not talking about what some one hypothetically said, we're talking about what I specifically said. lol...

No, the context here is what count.  

Plus did you or did you not see what I replied to?  If not here it is again.  

Quote:

This post set the context and I just followed suit.  Oh and isn't this thread a comparison thread?  It's good to know how to keep conversations in it's proper context. 

Don't worry about it man.  I will be more clear next time for those who have a hard time staying in context.
blink.gif

OK, you did say a "bit" sloppy. Sorry, my memory must have slipped, just a bit
biggrin.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #489 of 1,025
This thread is one of the more entertaining ones on Head-Fi. For the record, it is a bit sloppy though 
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #493 of 1,025
For the record, the HE-500 is way better than the HD800 (as a self defense weapon to throw at an intruder due to its superior weight and density)

Jan 2, 2014 at 6:16 PM Post #494 of 1,025
For the record, the HE-500 is way better than the HD800 (as a self defense weapon to throw at an intruder due to its superior weight and density)

LMAO, I just pictured an intruder getting a faceful of Hifiman. Ouch! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back