HD800 Sennheiser - Top SOLID STATE headphone amps
Jun 21, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #16 of 36
RSA Apache via balanced? plus it's a pre-amp aswell.

also if you're interested in the Lehmann black cube, you could be dead-sneaky and check out the Matrix M-stage (almost identical + better caps)

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM Post #17 of 36
What about the RudiStors?

Jun 21, 2010 at 12:55 PM Post #18 of 36
If you are thinking going balanced I would go with the Rudistor RP010B MkII or the RSA Apache (have both). The Rudi is more musical and warmer sound. the Apache is more detailed that cam be interpreted as a littl ebit more in the lean side.

If you are going Single Ended I tak ethe Violectric V200 over the GS-1 (Have both). Another good option is the Phonitor (have listen to it).

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 22, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #19 of 36

Quote:
"Unless you're planning on going balanced, is there a reason you picked the GS-X over the GS-1"
I was thinking balanced, but I'm not tied to the idea. Is the GS-1 the better amp?

Perhaps the first decision ought to be SE or balanced. From my perspective, if you value the HD800's accuracy and musicality from quality recordings, the best SE is Phonitor and the best balanced is b22.

But as usual, so much depends on everything. Source is definitely a factor, too.

If you're primarily using a CD player as transport, you might still want to keep your computer-as-transport option open since USB is improving dramatically and high-res digital recordings are beginning to take off.

I guess the tough part in the decision is looking down the road. What can you imply or project from current developments and trends? Should you settle for the best that's available right now or base your decisions on what may be coming down the road? I think we all tend to have slightly different visions of how head-fi equipment will play out.

Thanks for allowing us to participate in your trip.

Jun 22, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #20 of 36

Quote:
If you are thinking going balanced I would go with the Rudistor RP010B MkII or the RSA Apache (have both). The Rudi is more musical and warmer sound. the Apache is more detailed that cam be interpreted as a littl ebit more in the lean side.

If you are going Single Ended I tak ethe Violectric V200 over the GS-1 (Have both). Another good option is the Phonitor (have listen to it).

I gather that you got your Apache back from Ray.  Are you saying that the Rudistor emphasizes bass a little more and the Apache treble?  Any comparisons welcome.

Jun 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #21 of 36
Yes, He found the problem in the umbilical cord connector of the Power Supply unit. He replaced it and did a 100% check.

Not really. What I am saying is that the Apache is more neutral and the Rudistor has a little coloration to the warm side. Kind of tube like sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 24, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 36

Quote:
RSA Apache via balanced? plus it's a pre-amp aswell.

also if you're interested in the Lehmann black cube, you could be dead-sneaky and check out the Matrix M-stage (almost identical + better caps)

Hi SK - I didn't want a preamp as part of the package. Nice tip on the Matrix, thanks! It might make a good stop-gap until I can afford a better one.

Quote:
What about the RudiStors?

These units look fantastic! Could be just the ticket. Any other posters with comments to make about these?

Quote:

I'm undecided about the balanced question. However, you are right. I should make a call on that before I go spending my money. Any others want to give feedback on the Violectric models - say in comparison to the Rudistors?

Quote:
Perhaps the first decision ought to be SE or balanced. From my perspective, if you value the HD800's accuracy and musicality from quality recordings, the best SE is Phonitor and the best balanced is b22.

But as usual, so much depends on everything. Source is definitely a factor, too.

If you're primarily using a CD player as transport, you might still want to keep your computer-as-transport option open since USB is improving dramatically and high-res digital recordings are beginning to take off.

I guess the tough part in the decision is looking down the road. What can you imply or project from current developments and trends? Should you settle for the best that's available right now or base your decisions on what may be coming down the road? I think we all tend to have slightly different visions of how head-fi equipment will play out.

Thanks for allowing us to participate in your trip.

And, it is a trip. Thanks for coming along for the ride! Yes, you right about the vexing balanced/single ended question. As for source, see my opening comments. You are right about trying to 'read' the trends. I suppose I am out-of-step as I don't do digital. However, we are all in-step when I see more high quality headphones and amps coming onto the market.

Quote:
Not really. What I am saying is that the Apache is more neutral and the Rudistor has a little coloration to the warm side. Kind of tube like sound.

So, the Rudistor amps sound a little coloured in comparison to other amps? Would anyone like to make a call on the most neutral sounding amp with the best 'grunt' to drive the HD800s effortlessly?

Jun 24, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #23 of 36
There's absolutely no digital processing done in the Phonitor, the crossfeed functions are all analogical, and if you don't need them, the Auditor is the same amp at a much lower price.
By the way, the phonitor doesn't use standard opamp, according to their website: Phonitor incorporates SPL’s proprietary “Supra OPs” 120-volt discrete op amp technology, yielding 150dB dynamic range and almost immeasurable THD".

And if you need impressions: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/428760/spl-phonitor-with-hd800-and-ram-dl3-impressions-and-reviews
Quote:
That Phonitor looks fantastic! Made in Germany, good finish. Could be a goer. However, how does it sound in a good hi-fi set-up? (I'll checkout the Head-Fi posts for more info on it too - I see you have one for one sale) Your unbiased opinion... is the Phonitor a great match for the HD800? Also, the SPL website states they use OP Amps. Gggrrr, not happy about that. AND, is all that pro-use, whizz-bang signal processing done digitally? If so, that's a no-no for gogo...

I looked at the Apache. Nice bit of kit, but I don't need a preamp. I would rather spend the extra coin on a better headphone amp. The other solid state offerings from Emmeline seem pitched at the desktop market. Shame, because their tube amps look pretty hot (no pun etc).

From the comments, I'll scratch the M902 and the King Rex from my list.
Thanks for the input.

Jun 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #24 of 36

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I should have added that DIY I am not. That's not saying that the two amps you mention are not some of the better amps on the market.

I can't speak for the other posters, but from their site, the Head Room offerings look like they are designed for the desktop market. I'm after something that fits between a turntable, preamp and a set of HD800s. That being said, there might be Head Room amps that could fit the bill. I'll look up the Buda model. Thanks.

I think that does kinda hit the Headroom niche.  Not that the amp is bad in any way, but the big advantage I think is in that it's a modular system that you can get in a package deal and comes with a lot of features (external power supply, cross-feed, gain selector, SE and balanced inputs, pre-amp).  They also have pretty damn good customer service.  I haven't gotten to try the HD800's balanced on the BUDA but there was a very slight improvement with going balanced with the HD650's.  I would say that if you want to get the absolute best out of the headphones and you are willing to spend the money then definitely consider balanced.  Otherwise, the improvement is not going to be commensurate with the added hundreds of dollars (let's be frank, gotta get new cables, pay the added premium for balanced) that it costs.

Anyway, I think that the BUDA should still be considered though if the advantages of the Headroom line is not something you really need then I would take advantage of the 30 day return to do a comparison with another amp.  You might be able to get a bit more bang for your buck if consider something like a Beta22.

Jun 26, 2010 at 1:09 PM Post #25 of 36
A well-built B22, even in SE config, sounds better than Phonitor/Auditor. Phonitor/Auditor is about the same sound quality as Corda Symphony or a well-built M^3.

In a DIY machine, the builder's skill matters.

Jun 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #26 of 36
A well-built β-22 do sound magnificent. I had a chance to audition one earlier this year, and it was great. I almost had one built, but ultimately decided that the difference between balance & SE is too small.

Jun 29, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #27 of 36
I'd also weigh in with the Beta22, as one of the finest SS amps available. Even in three channel configuration, it's wonderful. You might also want to look into having a M^3 or CK2III built with dual power supplies and balanced. They're excellent designs, too. Someone mentioned earlier the Gilmore Reference. That's a balanced Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (the DIY version is called a Dynamid) which used to be considered one of the finest amps available. Similarly, the Dynahi and Dynamight (balanced Dynahi) are also up there. The chips they use are OOP, so you don't see them as often today, but they're great if you can find one. Anyhow, look into the DIY SS amps; no hype, no marketing machine and designs that have been picked through by those who build them. There's a good reason the Beta22 is considered top-shelf.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #29 of 36

Quote:
I'd also weigh in with the Beta22, as one of the finest SS amps available. Even in three channel configuration, it's wonderful. You might also want to look into having a M^3 or CK2III built with dual power supplies and balanced. They're excellent designs, too. Someone mentioned earlier the Gilmore Reference. That's a balanced Gilmore Lite/Dynalo (the DIY version is called a Dynamid) which used to be considered one of the finest amps available. Similarly, the Dynahi and Dynamight (balanced Dynahi) are also up there. The chips they use are OOP, so you don't see them as often today, but they're great if you can find one. Anyhow, look into the DIY SS amps; no hype, no marketing machine and designs that have been picked through by those who build them. There's a good reason the Beta22 is considered top-shelf.

Hey, do you think that the added expense of a balanced Beta22 is worth it over a three channel build (for the 800)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back