HD800 - Pink Floyd Time - Very Shrill Bells
Feb 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #17 of 28
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pink-Floyd-Wish-You-Were-Here-Blu-ray/23976/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Pink-Floyd-The-Dark-Side-of-the-Moon-Blu-ray/23971/

Oh, it's in the Immersion set. Too bad you have to pay $150 for all that other stuff. I thought the blu-ray was for the 5.1. I didn't realize it was also for better quality stereo. It's tempting, but after just spending so much for the HD800, the O2+ODAC and C5D, I think I better cool it for a while.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #18 of 28
  Never been a fan of Pink Floyd's music , so I couldn't tell you anything about the bells. 

Thanks for letting us know. Most people who have nothing to say don't even have the decency to respond!  
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #19 of 28

Thanks for letting us know. Most people who have nothing to say don't even have the decency to respond!  
biggrin.gif

That's a great line...
I just threw DSOM on for the first time in years and yes, the bells in the right ear are shrill on my HD600.

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #20 of 28
If you were in a room with these bells going off, you would probably think them shrill and cover your ears. I know I would. Accurate reproduction given negative comment, huh?

Feb 16, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #21 of 28
Haven't heard dark side in a long time... just warmed up the Earmax Tubes and plugged in my brightest cans (Koss A250)... YES those bells definitely do ZING the eardrums a bit.  Even through an amp with a lot of even order tube harmonics.

Have you fiddled with headphone positioning much?  With bigger "ear-speaker" phones you can fine tune the sound by positioning them high/low over your ears.  I just remembered how much more I prefer the A250 positioned up high so the earpads touch my earlobes.

Feb 16, 2014 at 5:23 PM Post #22 of 28
If you were in a room with these bells going off, you would probably think them shrill and cover your ears. I know I would. Accurate reproduction given negative comment, huh?

That's what I was asking.

Haven't heard dark side in a long time... just warmed up the Earmax Tubes and plugged in my brightest cans (Koss A250)... YES those bells definitely do ZING the eardrums a bit.  Even through an amp with a lot of even order tube harmonics.

Have you fiddled with headphone positioning much?  With bigger "ear-speaker" phones you can fine tune the sound by positioning them high/low over your ears.  I just remembered how much more I prefer the A250 positioned up high so the earpads touch my earlobes.

They only move a little, but I'm now convinced that that's how they're supposed to sound and that this is the first time I've listened with such accurate headphones.

Feb 16, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #23 of 28

That's what I was asking.

They only move a little, but I'm now convinced that that's how they're supposed to sound and that this is the first time I've listened with such accurate headphones.

According to the dummy, the HD800 has a broad trough from 1500~4k and a (relatively) big spike from 6~9k.  Not sure how this compares to the HD700, but the upper frequencies in those bell tones sound to me right in range with the HD800 upper frequency boost.  (I threw in the K701 graph for comparison just because thats a can I am very familiar with).

Feb 17, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #24 of 28
  According to the dummy, the HD800 has a broad trough from 1500~4k and a (relatively) big spike from 6~9k.  Not sure how this compares to the HD700, but the upper frequencies in those bell tones sound to me right in range with the HD800 upper frequency boost.  (I threw in the K701 graph for comparison just because thats a can I am very familiar with).

Thanks for the graph. I'm waiting for my personal FR graph from Sennheiser. It does look like there would be emphasis on those bells. So maybe the HD800 does make them more shrill than they're supposed to be. I don't know the FR for the HD700, but those bells were more mellow on the HD700. Even if there is a treble spike, I still love the HD800.

Feb 19, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #26 of 28
You should seek out an audiophile copy of DSOTM. I have a regular CD release and an SACD audiophile release. 

Other than a tonal balance shift between these two copies, they sound the same to me.  So the SACD version should sound better on bright equipment.

Feb 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #28 of 28

I don't trust the dummy! :) At least not compared to the official certificate I just got from Sennheiser.

Yeah you can't use the dummys data plots to compare against the results of another measurement/calibrated system.  It doesn't work that way.  What mister dummy CAN be good for is relative comparisons against other cans also measured on the dummy.  Thats why I threw in the K701 dummy plot... just as a reference point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back