HD800 modification thread
Sep 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #46 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My avatar should convince you otherwise.

LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Irrelevant. Creationists believe every animal has been created at the same time by god and that there is no link between monkeys and humans.

Wrong - That's not what theologians believe, and there's no talking about religion here noob

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:20 PM Post #47 of 155
Quote:

Wanna talk about this? Alright.

Copper electrical resistance is 16.78 nΩ·m at 20°C
Aluminum electrical resistance is 28.2 nΩ·m at 20°C

so halving the aluminum cable length, you can say it is like halving the resistance of aluminum by half (keeping the same length of course). Right? So why would you use a copper cable of 1m when an aluminum of 0.5m has less resistance? You logic is flawed.

Your ability to understand what I'm saying is flawed. The point of my argument is to say that using any length of wire is just about the same. Resistance at that level is a non-factor unless you're running kilometers of the wire at 30AWG. Either that or if you're trying to filter out a certain frequency in the range of GHz.

Thus, what I'm saying is that the length of the wire is a non-factor and those that seriously say that halving the length of the wire increases the sound quality are perceiving a difference, not physically experiencing one.

Copper is used because it is so ductile and malleable that working with it is much easier than working with aluminum, which is known for it's strength despite it's weight.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #48 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You really believe that science says that cutting a 10 foot cable in half makes a noticable difference in sound? Really? I know Wikipedia is right there next to Einstein and Hawking, but even that entry that you point to does not support that ridiculous claim.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL

Wrong - That's not what theologians believe, and there's no talking about religion here noob

Then you obviously don't get my point. I am talking about how some people can be this disrespectful about other people's opinion.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #49 of 155
Quote:

Then you obviously don't get my point. I am talking about how some people can be this disrespectful about other people's opinion.

Your point doesn't matter. The rules still apply.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #50 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your ability to understand what I'm saying is flawed. The point of my argument is to say that using any length of wire is just about the same. Resistance at that level is a non-factor unless you're running kilometers of the wire at 30AWG. Either that or if you're trying to filter out a certain frequency in the range of GHz.

Thus, what I'm saying is that the length of the wire is a non-factor and those that seriously say that halving the length of the wire increases the sound quality are perceiving a difference, not physically experiencing one.

Copper is used because it is so ductile and malleable that working with it is much easier than working with aluminum, which is known for it's strength despite it's weight.

I agree, that I don't know if it makes a real difference, but... Did you just say we don't use copper to improve sound quality? Or is my ability to understand you still flawed?

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:35 PM Post #51 of 155
«We» still don't understand which factors and parameters are to blame for the sonic differences caused by different cable geometries and materials, but many audiophiles and Head-Fier's hear them. Under the premise that they are real (which I'm sure of), it's clear that every cable has a sonic characteristic – or more precisely: a characteristic way of altering/corrupting the signal. So it seems logical that a shorter piece of the same cable causes a smaller signal corruption.

I wasn't basing my experience on logic or science, though, just on my perception. It's simply a cheap way of improving the sound of a headphone – for those who are sensitive to cable phenomena –, instead of going for an expensive aftermarket cable. I'm still toying with this idea nonetheless, but since the shortening I have the impression that the stock cable is quite good.

I will excuse the immatureness showing up in this thread with the loaded topic.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #53 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
«We» still don't understand which factors and parameters are to blame for the sonic differences caused by different cable geometries and materials, but many audiophiles and Head-Fier's hear them. Under the premise that they are real (which I'm sure of)......

See, you are off-hand ruling out two of the most likely causes: Psychoacoustics and Confirmation Bias.

Your view of my closed mindedness is my view of your gullibility.

Quote:

Opinions are only founded if you have something tangible to back them up. In the face of outstanding evidence to the contrary, opinions are often just plain wrong.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #55 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu

Opinions are only founded if you have something tangible to back them up. In the face of outstanding evidence to the contrary, opinions are often just plain wrong.

Oh, this is bad... It doesn't give you the right to be disrespectful and mean. It's just plain wrong too.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #56 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
See, you are off-hand ruling out two of the most likely causes: Psychoacoustics and Confirmation Bias.

Your view of my closed mindedness is my view of your gullibility.

So am I right in my suspicion that you don't hear and believe in sonic differences caused by cables?

Quote:

We don't back our opinions up here in the headphones section. We just report our experiences. Believe them or don't.

If you want backed-up opinions, please post in the science section and ask for DBT!

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #57 of 155
Quote:

So am I right in my suspicion that you don't hear and believe in sonic differences caused by cables?

If you want backed-up opinions, please post in the science section and ask for DBT!

You've hamstrung me quite well by the forum rules there, haven't you?

But what can I say...... the scientist in me prefers healthy skepticism, and also place the burden of proof on people making outlandish claims.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:55 PM Post #58 of 155
popcorn.gif
I gotta stop palming the popcorn, my forehead just keeps getting buttered here.

I really like how the shorten your cable mod overshadowed the already impressive attach pieces of old t-shirt in your headphones mod. Maybe its the fresh solder on the connection or the slight unwinding of the braid, just wait until the third party manufacturers pick up on this great secret. I give it a week.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #59 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like how the shorten your cable mod overshadowed the already impressive attach pieces of old t-shirt in your headphones mod. Maybe its the fresh solder on the connection or the slight unwinding of the braid, just wait until the third party manufacturers pick up on this great secret. I give it a week.

"Successful" ""companies"" have been started on much less.

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #60 of 155
Quote:

I will try this mod later. Another tweak is shortening the cable to half of the original length: It makes the sound smoother and clearer.

I never understood why people pay to have twice as good cable installed instead of halfing their 10 foot cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back