HD800 modification thread
Sep 22, 2009 at 8:27 PM Post #31 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That makes my head hurt.

Maybe it would sound better if you roll up some old t-shirt scraps and stick them behind your ears.
icon10.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #33 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've noticed that as well. And then if you cut that in a half, the soundstage gets huge. But the most amazing transformation happens at the next halving -- the treble opens up, the bass has much more impact. The next one only makes a small difference, with the mids having a little more tenderness and emotion. The next two cuts actually make the headphones sound WORSE. I can't explain it, but the bass becomes muddy, the soundstage turns into 3-blobs, and the headphone sounds very diffuse.

I am now down to 13 millimeters. I haven't yet burned the new cable-length in yet (after every cut, an additional 1200 hours of burn-in are necessary), but I am liking what I hear. The sound is much better than the HE90, and the only complaint I have is that my face is jammed against the amplifier. But I would readily give up some comfort for the amazing sound I'm hearing.

I've just recieved 1st degree burns to my face from the Phoenix, I don't recommend this mod with that amp.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #34 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just recieved 1st degree burns to my face from the Phoenix, I don't recommend this mod with that amp.

Rookie mistake, you forgot to wear your tin foil mask.

Sep 22, 2009 at 9:18 PM Post #35 of 155
Quote:

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

EDIT: And the fact that I need to confirm that this is a joke tells a sad tale about the boards these days.

I'm not sure what you're talking about and lamenting. Of course I was being serious.

Quote:

I've noticed that as well. And then if you cut that in a half, the soundstage gets huge. But the most amazing transformation happens at the next halving -- the treble opens up, the bass has much more impact. The next one only makes a small difference, with the mids having a little more tenderness and emotion. The next two cuts actually make the headphones sound WORSE. I can't explain it, but the bass becomes muddy, the soundstage turns into 3-blobs, and the headphone sounds very diffuse.

I am now down to 13 millimeters. I haven't yet burned the new cable-length in yet (after every cut, an additional 1200 hours of burn-in are necessary), but I am liking what I hear. The sound is much better than the HE90, and the only complaint I have is that my face is jammed against the amplifier. But I would readily give up some comfort for the amazing sound I'm hearing.

900 sarcasm-loaded letters for demonstrating that your mind is too small for acknowledging the possiblity of a sonic impact from shorter cables.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #36 of 155
I do agree that basic physics shows that halving the cable shows that it halves the power loss due to resistance. Now, does it make a real difference, I don't know. But I guess it does, as people try different material for their cables that have different properties. Resistance is the most important property and that is usually why we use copper or silver instead aluminium or whatever else. So halving the length of a cable makes sense, instead of buying a copper/silver cable of the same length.

So yeah, Seacard and the others that show no respect to the shortning of the cable and Jazz should just go back to school before making themselves ridiculous. If they did that on purpose, it was then hilarious how stupid it was! I love this kind of humor!
Though I'm pretty sure it was not on purpose, so educate yourself with this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speaker_wire
It should be simple enough for you to understand.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #39 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So yeah, Seacard and the others that show no respect to the shortning of the cable and Jazz should just go back to school before making themselves ridiculous. If they did that on purpose, it was then hilarious how stupid it was! I love this kind of humor!
Though I'm pretty sure it was not on purpose, so educate yourself with this: Speaker wire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It should be easy enough to understand.

There's good chance that they're aware that the length of the wire makes a minute difference. And you can say (just about) exactly how much this changes the sound. Resistance (using a simplified formula) = ((pl)/A). At room temperature (~20C), the difference in shortening the wire is ~(1.5)(1.72×10−8)ohms. That's 2.58*10^-8 ohms. In other words, shortening the cable makes no significant physical difference. Any differences are perceived.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #42 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by jageur272 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's good chance that they're aware that the length of the wire makes a minute difference. And you can say (just about) exactly how much this changes the sound. Resistance (using a simplified formula) = ((pl)/A). At room temperature (~20C), the difference in shortening the wire is ~(1.5)(1.72×10−8)ohms. That's 2.58*10^-8 ohms. In other words, shortening the cable makes no significant physical difference. Any differences are perceived.

Wanna talk about this? Alright.

Copper electrical resistance is 16.78 nΩ·m at 20°C
Aluminum electrical resistance is 28.2 nΩ·m at 20°C

so halving the aluminum cable length, you can say it is like halving the resistance of aluminum by half (keeping the same length of course). Right? So why would you use a copper cable of 1m when an aluminum of 0.5m has less resistance? You logic is flawed.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #43 of 155
Quote:

My avatar should convince you otherwise.

Irrelevant. Creationists believe every animal has been created at the same time by god and that there is no link between monkeys and humans.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #44 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can you deny science... I'm sure you're a creationist.

You really believe that science says that cutting a 10 foot cable in half makes a noticable difference in sound? Really? I know Wikipedia is right there next to Einstein and Hawking, but even that entry that you point to does not support that ridiculous claim.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #45 of 155
Quote:

You really believe that science says that cutting a 10 foot cable in half makes a noticable difference in sound? Really? I know Wikipedia is right there next to Einstein and Hawking, but even that entry that you point to does not support that ridiculous claim.

You're hopeless. See my reply to jageur272 and ask yourself why we use copper/silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back