HD800 modification thread
Sep 22, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 155
Hard to imagine that stuffing cotton fabric will make soundstage more focused... but if it works, thats amazing!! Should of gave it a try on my HD800 before selling though
frown.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #17 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another tweak is shortening the cable to half of the original length: It makes the sound smoother and clearer.

Ha ha ha. Good one....you ARE kidding, right?

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #19 of 155
Have anyone experimented with different types of cotton? Just the cheap plain, or egyptian cotton perhaps? Any clothing brands better than others? I am a bit torn about ripping my Levi's apart, or the Diesel for that matter. Well, maybe just a piece from the armpits of each arm, no one will notice anyway.
Maybe a mix of 80% cotton with 20% lycra would be nice. I heard the lycra might help balance out the warm characteristic of cotton.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 155
Quote:

I will try this mod later. Another tweak is shortening the cable to half of the original length: It makes the sound smoother and clearer.

You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

EDIT: And the fact that I need to confirm that this is a joke tells a sad tale about the boards these days.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #21 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently so. And those were my thoughts exactly. Why don't you try it yourself before jumping to skeptic conclusions? If you're happy with them the way they are, that's great. But you owe it to yourself to see that they can be improved with 5 minutes of your time.

I'm not being skeptical at all. Just laughing at the irony.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #23 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by luvdunhill /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you plan on reevaluating the need to upgrade your Phoenix to a beta22 in light of this modification?

WIN
duggehsmile.png

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #24 of 155
Quote:

I will try this mod later. Another tweak is shortening the cable to half of the original length: It makes the sound smoother and clearer.

I've noticed that as well. And then if you cut that in a half, the soundstage gets huge. But the most amazing transformation happens at the next halving -- the treble opens up, the bass has much more impact. The next one only makes a small difference, with the mids having a little more tenderness and emotion. The next two cuts actually make the headphones sound WORSE. I can't explain it, but the bass becomes muddy, the soundstage turns into 3-blobs, and the headphone sounds very diffuse.

I am now down to 13 millimeters. I haven't yet burned the new cable-length in yet (after every cut, an additional 1200 hours of burn-in are necessary), but I am liking what I hear. The sound is much better than the HE90, and the only complaint I have is that my face is jammed against the amplifier. But I would readily give up some comfort for the amazing sound I'm hearing.

Sep 22, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #26 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I would readily give up some comfort for the amazing sound I'm hearing.

just use an extension cord. The reflections are already optimized between the headphones and the plug by the shortening. The plug acts as a terminus for the transmission line. Adding the extension cable won't change the sound.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #28 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but then you have to remember to shorten the extension cable.

no that's my point. Think about the return current. If we apply Kirchoff's Law and treat the first cable as a transmission line, the first reflection is the the termination of the stock cable. Thus, adding the extra length of the extension cable actually does absolutely nothing, since there is a higher impedance present at the first termination.

Sep 22, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #29 of 155
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're joking, right? Please tell me you're joking.

EDIT: And the fact that I need to confirm that this is a joke tells a sad tale about the boards these days.

Actually, JaZZ has been saying this same thing for years regarding other Senn cables and aftermarket cables. Not sure why this one seems to be so outlandish in peoples' minds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back