HD800 - Is sibilance an issue with your set-up?
Jun 23, 2009 at 2:38 PM Post #181 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by wnmnkh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say HD800's treble is between DT880/K701 and SA5000. Thanks god SA5000 are unlistenable due to too much treble.

Yes, that was my impression of the SA5000 as well, for what that's worth.

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #182 of 241
Quote:

Thanks god SA5000 are unlistenable due to too much treble.

What exactly does that mean? (...the «thanks god» part is what irritates me.)

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:44 PM Post #183 of 241
I say thanks god that HD800 do not have much treble as SA5000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #185 of 241
Quote:

I say thanks god that HD800 do not have much treble as SA5000.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oh, thank you! Yes, I agree.

Jun 23, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #186 of 241
Quote:

P.S : But here is one thing you guys want to consider : the HD800 do not have strong impact as some other phones. For me the sound is completely effortless and very warm, even for that strong treble.

DT880 and Grados may have less treble energy than HD800, but I just cannot listen to them for a long time because the treble is dry and it pierces my ears with great impact, while I can listen to HD800 for all day long.

Yes, this is exactly where I am with respect to the HD800's status as a putative treble-boosted headphone. I can't comfortably listen to Grados at all (at least the 60 and the entire lineup as it existed sometime around the early-mid 90's, which is what I've listened to), even for a few minutes, because of the irritating treble. The HD800 does not have this effect on me. I don't know the right technical, measurement-based explanation of this would look like. To me, it just sounds as though the HD800 is all there with respect to treble and details, but with "rounded edges" to the treble sound instead of sharp and tizzy ones. Like you, I do not find the HD800s fatiguing, despite a treble hardness-sensitivity so pronounced that even Magneplanars were too much for it.

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:04 AM Post #187 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by john53 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks feifan.
I just did not understand your last words(Your advice, BTW, is sound. (Pun intended.))what do you mean with that phrase?(sorry my english is not that good
redface.gif
)

john53, sorry, I should've left that "(Pun intended)" out. A "pun" is a play on words, for example, "sound" refers to what we hear, but it also means good or solid as in "sound judgment." I hope my explanation makes sense.

Jun 24, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #188 of 241
Apart from the issue with sibilance on some tracks, I do feel the HD-800s are fantastic. It was just particularly grating as some sibilant tracks are on frequent rotation for me.

Jun 24, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #189 of 241
I wonder if different people hear sibilance at slight different high frequencies(sorry if it's been discussed before)
I say that because i'm sensitive to sibilance(for example,my hd 600 on my sony A.V. reciever is sibilant,and my koss ksc 75 on my portable cd player is sibilant too,sometimes i can't stand these koss)
But out of my x can v8,none of these two cans(hd 600-hd 800)sounded sibilant.And that was with less than ideal source-interconnects-music.
I would go as far as to say that the hd 800 sometimes had just a very slight rounded treble(though it had a slight metalic feel which made it sound a little "edgier" compared to hd 600 but it was far from calling it sibilant)
So,is it possible that different people have a sensitivity to sibilance at different high frequencies?
(I forgot to mention,my hearing is just fine,i never listen to very high volumes and i'm just 27 years old)

Jun 24, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #190 of 241
Quote:

I wonder if different people hear sibilance at slight different high frequencies(sorry if it's been discussed before)
I say that because i'm sensitive to sibilance(for example,my hd 600 on my sony A.V. reciever is sibilant,and my koss ksc 75 on my portable cd player is sibilant too,sometimes i can't stand these koss)
But out of my x can v8,none of these two cans(hd 600-hd 800)sounded sibilant.And that was with less than ideal source-interconnects-music.
I would go as far as to say that the hd 800 sometimes had just a very slight rounded treble(though it had a slight metalic feel which made it sound a little "edgier" compared to hd 600 but it was far from calling it sibilant)
So,is it possible that different people have a sensitivity to sibilance at different high frequencies?
(I forgot to mention,my hearing is just fine,i never listen to very high volumes and i'm just 27 years old)

yes, sibilant can occur to different frequency with different individual definitely, just that my guess it can't be too far like 1K and 10K, as suggested in many websites, frequency that responsible for sibilant is between 5K - 8K, sometimes up to 10K.

generally, male sibilant is 6K, female sibilant is at 7K

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:50 AM Post #191 of 241
I'm in the group that never did take issue with my HD800 having an exaggerated sibilance. After reading the posts, I talked myself into hearing a bit on some tracks. Going back and A/B ing with my K1000 and HD650, they both reveal it in the same places, more (K1000) or less (HD650). I don't hear the HD800 manufacturing nor blowing it up beyond what's on the recording. There are definitely recordings with excessive sibilance but I don't believe that I'd pay big bucks for a can that obscures that fact.

Anyway, whatever sibilance anomalies I heard when hunting for them are now gone, so I guess my head is "burning in" to the HD800. I'm pretty firmly habituated to the HD800 sound now after about 40 hours total head time without more than a few minutes with other cans. My old reliable HD650 and K1000 now sound a little different to my HD800-centric ears.

By the way, an excellent track to listen for sibilance that is intentionally part of the music is Diane Krall - 'S Wonderful. Nicely recorded song that demonstrates sibilance as part of the music and something that would definitely be detrimental to go overboard voicing out.

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM Post #192 of 241
So how are you liking your HD800 when compared to your K1000,do you feel they are in the same leauge?
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm in the group that never did take issue with my HD800 having an exaggerated sibilance. After reading the posts, I talked myself into hearing a bit on some tracks. Going back and A/B ing with my K1000 and HD650, they both reveal it in the same places, more (K1000) or less (HD650). I don't hear the HD800 manufacturing nor blowing it up beyond what's on the recording. There are definitely recordings with excessive sibilance but I don't believe that I'd pay big bucks for a can that obscures that fact.

Anyway, whatever sibilance anomalies I heard when hunting for them are now gone, so I guess my head is "burning in" to the HD800. I'm pretty firmly habituated to the HD800 sound now after about 40 hours total head time without more than a few minutes with other cans. My old reliable HD650 and K1000 now sound a little different to my HD800-centric ears.

By the way, an excellent track to listen for sibilance that is intentionally part of the music is Diane Krall - 'S Wonderful. Nicely recorded song that demonstrates sibilance as part of the music and something that would definitely be detrimental to go overboard suppressing.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #193 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, an excellent track to listen for sibilance that is intentionally part of the music is Diane Krall - 'S Wonderful. Nicely recorded song that demonstrates sibilance as part of the music and something that would definitely be detrimental to go overboard voicing out.

This track was one of the tracks i used(sacd)when i tested hd 800 with my x can v8.It sounded really nice without harshness in the treble.

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:27 AM Post #194 of 241
Quote:

This track was one of the tracks i used(sacd)when i tested hd 800 with my x can v8.It sounded really nice without harshness in the treble.

Anybody want to try Eva Cassidy's Fields of Gold and comment?

Jun 24, 2009 at 11:11 AM Post #195 of 241
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody want to try Eva Cassidy's Fields of Gold and comment?

from "Live at Blues Alley" -or- "Songbird" ?

Both are pretty hot tracks. The lack of a strong bass line tends at accentuate the treble as well. I don't get the feeling that the HD800 presents either as unrealistically hot though. I imagine that sitting at the front table at a live performance of Eva would have some pretty powerful treble notes. She has a set of pipes and can belt it out in the upper registers. or so it sounds, I've never had the opportunity to see her live, but would really like to some day. "Live at Blues Alley" is a pretty amazing performance and well mastered for a live recording from a very small venue. The HD800 does a pretty good job of representing the physical dimensions of the venue and the relative position of the very well behaved audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back