HD800>He-6 comparisons?
Jan 11, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #76 of 88
Tnx-LugBug

I was one step ahead of you...got it from amazon

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #78 of 88
Quote:
Quote:
Just to add, my fave B'hoven cycle following Karajan's masterful 62 is the new Ricardo Chailly on Decca. Its a very good studio recording, fully dynamic and will provide your HP's with a glorious tester :)

LugBug,
Tnx,for your reply..

I will search for this recording
The one annoying part of the recording that I mentioned above,is,that on a few symphony's,the most critical part of the symphony ..cd STOPS-,and you have to go to the next cd,to continue .
Extremely annoying,your ears are anticapating what comes next in the symphony....then nothing.

Is it safe to buy this newer recording from amazon,or,should I go to cduniverse?

Tnx
Mike

ironic considering that the sotroy goes that head of sony chose the playing length of cds based on the criteria that a single cd should be able to contain Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #79 of 88
Quote:
Quote:
LugBug,
Tnx,for your reply..

I will search for this recording
The one annoying part of the recording that I mentioned above,is,that on a few symphony's,the most critical part of the symphony ..cd STOPS-,and you have to go to the next cd,to continue .
Extremely annoying,your ears are anticapating what comes next in the symphony....then nothing.

Is it safe to buy this newer recording from amazon,or,should I go to cduniverse?

Tnx
Mike

I've bought 100's of cd's from amazon and about 1% might be faulty. I'd just make sure that you check the feedback from whoever you are buying from.

just adding this, as my review is on here. It's the first one by DE Potts :)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beethoven-The-Symphonies-Limited-Edition/dp/B005CYLSW8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1357939573&sr=8-2

(sorry for the derailing guys but quality Beethoven is essential for quality headphones!!)

Chailly is as good as you've said, probably better. read your review and thought it was great. I hadn't thought about it but I guess it's become my favorite complete cycle since the 62/63 von k. also.there are many wonderful renditions from the last 10 years, but this one takes the cake on many levels.    derailing for Beethoven is sometimes simply unavoidable.

Jan 11, 2013 at 9:34 PM Post #80 of 88
Quote:
ironic considering that the sotroy goes that head of sony chose the playing length of cds based on the criteria that a single cd should be able to contain Beethoven's 9th symphony.

Sorry,I dont understand your reply
Please explain

Jan 11, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #81 of 88
Quote:
Quote:
Mike,

imo the best Von Karajin beethoven symp. remasters on digital source for 16 bit are the cd layer on the box set that is sacd/cd (there is newr sacd/cd of the 9th but the box is better!).  this is assuming you want the 1962/63 cycle. it also includes an extra cd of rehersals which is very very cool indeed. 
i have multiple original vinyl pressings of this (on Deutche Gramaphone) and surprising as it is the 16 bit layer from the box set is superior. assuming you have decent dac or killer cd player.

also, the sonics on many of the cylcles released in the last 10- 15 years are fantastic, but performances vary of course - the Vanska someone mentioned is wonderful though.

Analog,
Thanks for your reply..
ON the Beethoven box set,it says 1963,so,I'm assuming this is one of the "better" cd sets   is the Berlin Philharmoniker /Herbert Von Karajan.
I do not own a cd player..,using my desktop...computer.,which might be lacking is audio quality..???
I will have to research a better grade cd player..this will be my next purchase.

Any suggestions??

Tnx
Mike

this is the von k: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-The-Symphonies-Gundula-Janowitz/dp/B0000C03AH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357958088&sr=8-3&keywords=beethoven+symphonies+von+karajan+sacd+box

I recommend that you invest in a good DAC. even using your computer to spin the cds (ie using the pc as a transport), the signal as processed by a decent DAC will be far better than what's being produced by your pc's soundcard. i am using a dac with a tube driven output myself, and thereby also gain the benefit of a bit of tube 'warmth' and the varying sound signatures provided by different tubes. there are many threads regarding DACs with tons of info and suggestions, often titled by price point or range (i.e. "best DAC under $500"). I am using the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11 which I can highly recommend. It performs far beyond its price point of $350 and the tube that comes standard with it is actually quite good. It funtions as a USB DAC and also provides for direct digital i/o. It also serves as a preamp in that it has multiple inputs and outputs and a volume control. I am playing a lot of high resolution files from my pc's hard drives, and the sound is outrageously good. My cd player is a naim cd5 with outboard power ($3,000+) and sounds great when fed a decently mastered cd. The tubedac-11 can match it. That's saying something. The TD-11 also has a headphone out on it's front, but I find it to not perform at the level of my RSA HR2 dedicated solid state headphone amp. many people think it's great though. eh. I am able to drive high impedence headphones such as Sennheiser and beyerdynamics directly from what is labled as a "tube out" by using an rca to headphone adapter. The results from this compete easily with the HR2's output. When I use lower imp cans I take the signal from another the TD11 and feed it through the HR2 with fantastic results, thus using the TD11 as a DAC and a tube "processor". There is also solid state output, and passive output that simply passes along the DACs outputwithout effecting it at all. obviously this is not an amp with the juice for an HE-6. I will be driving my HE-6s with my david berning power amp when they arrive this coming week.

thread stolen again...sorry but i wanted to answer Mike's question.

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue58/tubedac11.htm
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=385504  this is a forum dedicated to Grant Fidelity gear  

Regards,
Jim

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #82 of 88
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry,I dont understand your reply
Please explain

you had stated that; "The one annoying part of the recording that I mentioned above,is,that on a few symphony's,the most critical part of the symphony ..cd STOPS-,and you have to go to the next cd,to continue ."

when the chairman of sony was asked what length he wanted the newly developed "compact discs" to be, his reply was that it must fit the longest of Beethoven's symphonies, to avoid doing exactly what you felt was annoying - splitting them up across multiple cds.  

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:28 PM Post #83 of 88
Quote:
this is the von k: http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-The-Symphonies-Gundula-Janowitz/dp/B0000C03AH/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1357958088&sr=8-3&keywords=beethoven+symphonies+von+karajan+sacd+box

I recommend that you invest in a good DAC. even using your computer to spin the cds (ie using the pc as a transport), the signal as processed by a decent DAC will be far better than what's being produced by your pc's soundcard. i am using a dac with a tube driven output myself, and thereby also gain the benefit of a bit of tube 'warmth' and the varying sound signatures provided by different tubes. there are many threads regarding DACs with tons of info and suggestions, often titled by price point or range (i.e. "best DAC under $500"). I am using the Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-11 which I can highly recommend. It performs far beyond its price point of $350 and the tube that comes standard with it is actually quite good. It funtions as a USB DAC and also provides for direct digital i/o. It also serves as a preamp in that it has multiple inputs and outputs and a volume control. I am playing a lot of high resolution files from my pc's hard drives, and the sound is outrageously good. My cd player is a naim cd5 with outboard power ($3,000+) and sounds great when fed a decently mastered cd. The tubedac-11 can match it. That's saying something. The TD-11 also has a headphone out on it's front, but I find it to not perform at the level of my RSA HR2 dedicated solid state headphone amp. many people think it's great though. eh. I am able to drive high impedence headphones such as Sennheiser and beyerdynamics directly from what is labled as a "tube out" by using an rca to headphone adapter. The results from this compete easily with the HR2's output. When I use lower imp cans I take the signal from another the TD11 and feed it through the HR2 with fantastic results, thus using the TD11 as a DAC and a tube "processor". There is also solid state output, and passive output that simply passes along the DACs outputwithout effecting it at all. obviously this is not an amp with the juice for an HE-6. I will be driving my HE-6s with my david berning power amp when they arrive this coming week.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=385504  this is a forum dedicated to Grant Fidelity gear  

Regards,
Jim

Jim,
I'm going to need some time to go over this.info.

I've just acquired the schiit Mjolnir & the Gungnir dac---Right now,I will not be upgrading my gear,until,after,the Schiit Signature gear is out-2014,and even then,I might??? just upgrade the dac.
That being said,I will go over the links,and suggestions you've supplied.,and study this closely
Right now,honestly have to say,I believe I've reached a peak in my audio pleasure
My two top headphones,he-6 & hd800 combined with the speaker amp for the he-6's,and Schiit amp/dac,SS,fully balanced gear,are giving me unbelievable audio pleasure.
I have been listening to Beethoven,Brahms,and a few others since the ago of 10,on some symphonies,I can almost anticipate ,what the next notes will be ,& what they SHOULD sound like.
On my new gear,I'm almost in audio heaven...a few more feet,and I'll be pushing threw the clouds,and bumping into St. Peter.
But,with these new headphones,I hear details ,that I've never heard ,or,thought was possible--It's almost like finding a new hobby.

This why,I'm interested in getting the Beethoven recordings that LugBug has suggested..I would like to hear what you guys feel is an almost perfect recording.,and no,after some thought ,will not be buying a CD player
I will post back after going over the dac info ,you've supplied.
Many thanks,
Mike

Quote:
you had stated that; "The one annoying part of the recording that I mentioned above,is,that on a few symphony's,the most critical part of the symphony ..cd STOPS-,and you have to go to the next cd,to continue ."

when the chairman of sony was asked what length he wanted the newly developed "compact discs" to be, his reply was that it must fit the longest of Beethoven's symphonies, to avoid doing exactly what you felt was annoying - splitting them up across multiple cds.  

Ah,OK..Now I got it
Tnx for your reply

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #84 of 88
Hi Mike,  

Many thanks for the comments. Yes, your understanding of my configs is correct. My Hifiman HM-801 (which I love) feeds into the SR71B (or the EF 6) amps and I get pretty good sound on my HE-6 and HD-800 (-I may not have golden ears).  The Ray Samuels SR71B does power the HE-6 fine, that's why I got it but I've recently been told that Headroom's BUDA is way better. BTW the EF5 amp also powers HE-6 ok, though you have to go almost max vol, but at that price point it is a nice mellowish and affordable sound. 

I am thinking of the BUDA amp for its portability (well, I'm Buddhist also) as I travel between US-Asia every other month, and would like a balanced amp to complement the balanced HD-800. I must look at Burson Balanced v BUDA for my headphones. I note David Mahler tests on BUDA.

Re. cables, I will explore your pointer, thanks alot. As preproman says, I guess my own sense of hearing will lead me to a "5%" [subjective] improvement in using the Dragons over the stock, very generally. As my HE-6 cable itself is oxidising within a year of use, I will probably need to upgrade soon but I am flabbergasted at the cost of $200+++ cables.

For those weighing the pros and cons of the HE-6 v HD-800 as per thread, I can offer no greater comparator than hearing, as I did today, one of my old favs : Barney Kessel (guitar) on his 1958 CD  Bizet's "Carmen", a gem in the vein of Hank Jones (piano) With the Meridian String Quartet (1997). The way the two headphones present this (BK) great jazz album can not be more black and white; each phone has utterly different soundstage and emphasis/tone treatments, and both are simply excellent for a mid-1k headphone - I simply can't swap either way! 

Nishy.

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #85 of 88
Quote:
Quote:

Regards,
Jim

Jim,
I'm going to need some time to go over this.info.

I've just acquired the schiit Mjolnir & the Gungnir dac---Right now,I will not be upgrading my gear,until,after,the Schiit Signature gear is out-2014,and even then,I might??? just upgrade the dac.
That being said,I will go over the links,and suggestions you've supplied.,and study this closely
Right now,honestly have to say,I believe I've reached a peak in my audio pleasure
My two top headphones,he-6 & hd800 combined with the speaker amp for the he-6's,and Schiit amp/dac,SS,fully balanced gear,are giving me unbelievable audio pleasure.
I have been listening to Beethoven,Brahms,and a few others since the ago of 10,on some symphonies,I can almost anticipate ,what the next notes will be ,& what they SHOULD sound like.
On my new gear,I'm almost in audio heaven...a few more feet,and I'll be pushing threw the clouds,and bumping into St. Peter.
But,with these new headphones,I hear details ,that I've never heard ,or,thought was possible--It's almost like finding a new hobby.

This why,I'm interested in getting the Beethoven recordings that LugBug has suggested..I would like to hear what you guys feel is an almost perfect recording.,and no,after some thought ,will not be buying a CD player
I will post back after going over the dac info ,you've supplied.
Many thanks,
Mike

Quote:

Ah,OK..Now I got it
Tnx for your reply

mike, sorry, i misunderstood. i thought you were just using a pc and no DAC, hence my rambling. It sounds to me like you are in heaven now! congrats and enjoy the music. you really should get a copy of that sacd/cd Van Karajan. you will not be let down.  

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #86 of 88
Hi Nishy,

You might wan to consider the Schiit gear,if your looking for a balanced system...dollar vs. SQ/build quality is very high-imho.Even my He-6's seemed to be well powered,but I have to say,I prefer the emotiva -100x
Travelling to SE Asia,every other month must be an exhausting ordeal--I have a small condo in Bangkok,which I might retire to with my wife{Thai woman},,for 3-4 months per year.
When it's winter here..I will go there..when I can't tolerate the heat in Bangkok,I'll come home..have to have a 7-11,& a good pizzeria near me ,at all times.

What kind of portable setup ,do you have??
This is an area ,I know nothing about,
Any suggestions?

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #87 of 88
Quote:
mike, sorry, i misunderstood. i thought you were just using a pc and no DAC, hence my rambling. It sounds to me like you are in heaven now! congrats and enjoy the music. you really should get a copy of that sacd/cd Van Karajan. you will not be let down.  

Its ok,I'm always open to suggestions..it does seem like one hell of a dac,though
Yes,I'am going to order that VK beethoven cd..
If you have time,can you explain to me the ,what exactly makes the difference,is it the recording studio,the conductor,or,all of the above?

Also,lately I've been on a Brahms kick...I also have Von karajan/berlin philamoniker set on this as well?
Any other suggestions?

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #88 of 88
Hello Mike,

Yes, its a 30 hour shuttle (I work for UN)... You got the best of 3 worlds!! I am seriously looking at the BUDA for balaced portability now that Headroom amps are on 30% discount! Re. Portable stuff, I totally endorse Hifiman 801 which is way ahead by a mile of all the many portables I've had. Even with or without ultralight SR71b necessary for HE6 at its lightest..it is just great portable gear at home, planes, and trains,...and plugged to better amps even better. N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back