HD800>He-6 comparisons?
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #31 of 88
Quote:
You guys need to work on reading comprehension. 
wink.gif

I was describing the Gungnir when outlining the forward qualities I've found tiresome over time. Perhaps the Mjolnir has this quality too, though it was more restrained when I had the Bifrost plugged into it. The Gungnir has it too, and more imo, with a certain edge and dryness. The Mjolnir is less conspicuous, but it does not curtail these aspects originating from the source. I suspect the HD800 will shine when fed a signal as clean as what the M51 reportedly presents.

Also, please note these aspects I've outlined are incredibly subtle. It's taken months of ownership and a wide gamut of material to come to this conclusion. The Schiit stack with the HD800 at the end is a very good one. The HD800 just demands better, particularly in the source department.

Or maybe it's you that need to work on reading comprehension.

I was describing my experience with the MJ and my B22 with the PWD2 and all the headphones we tried.  And yes the Mj still has these forward qualities.   The amp is what's amplifying the signal not the DAC, the gun. only puts out about 2 or 3 VRMS.
blink.gif
  Other DACs we tried were the Buffalo III and the Anedio D2  Same results from the amp..

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:34 PM Post #32 of 88
Christ, you're clearly someone who requires everything spelt out in no uncertain terms. Read my posts again and how I've come to my conclusions. Note, I've also conceded that the Mjolnir has an energetic/forward quality. The Gungnir is more troublesome in my rig though, as not only does it have these qualities (amplified by the Mjolnir), but there are also aspects of the signature I find lacking in refinement (confirmed when heard through speakers, with the Mjolnir out of the chain).

I don't need my components to EQ the HD800. I just want the cleanest signal to get to the transducer. I suspect a change of dac will address the minor (but ultimately grating) issues I have with the SQ more effectively than a change of amp. The M51 should get me closer, and if it's still not quite there, then I'll address the amp.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #33 of 88
Quote:
Ears I trust has said the same thing about the m51.  They liked it over the Mytek by a very short margin.  Not many of the people ears I trust have tried the gun.

I had the Mj on the PWD2 and still I found it very forward, to much for my tastes and yes it did lack a ton of finesse compared to my B22.  In fact the only headphones is sounded good with IMO was both LCDs.  All other headphones I preferred on the B22.   The PWD2 + MJ + HD800 was not a good match IMO.  This amp is just to forward sounding for the HD800 IMO.

This is my post.  I was not address you or your post.  I simply gave my impressions of my findings.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:46 PM Post #34 of 88

Whoaaa guys, calm down here. There's no point being angry and fighting over something subjective - no one wins.
FACT - HD800s are bright.
FACT 2 - Tubes are not "clean".
FACT 3 - You will never convince someone that loves bose or beats headphones that your X type is better.

More reading below if anyone is bored and is interested in the flaws of subjective arguments.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM Post #36 of 88
Quote:
I wasn't even disagreeing.  I was just simply expressing my findings.  My post had nothing to do with his.

Alright, I apologise for the tone of my subsequent post. I figured the 
wink.gif
 was enough to suggest I was merely stressing that the Gungir is the cause of the issues in my chain. Yes the Mjolnir is energetic/forward, but not more so than the Gungnir imo. The Gungnir is a more pressing aspect to address for me, as it also feeds components other than the Mjolnir, where these inadequacies are also apparent.

Also, I'm not talking about inherent "brightness" here. Non of these components suffer from that imo.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #37 of 88
Quote:

Alright, I apologise for the tone of my subsequent post. I figured the 
wink.gif
 was enough to suggest I was merely stressing that the Gungir is the cause of the issues in my chain. Yes the Mjolnir is energetic/forward, but not more so than the Gungnir imo. The Gungnir is a more pressing aspect to address for me, as it also feeds components other than the Mjolnir, where these inadequacies are also apparent.

Also, I'm not talking about inherent "brightness" here. Non of these components suffer from that imo.

Gotcha...

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #38 of 88
Quote:
In what way did the M51 under-perform? Were you able to compare beside the Gungnir and conclude the Schiit sounded better? Or did your dissapointment stem from the price disparity and the M51 was actually the more impressive dac (compared to the Gungnir), if taking price out of the equation?
The price disparity is not a factor for me. I was able to purchase the M51 new for $1399, while the Gungnir sells for $1039 from Schiit's only distributer in Australia. These two components are in the same price bracket here, with the extra expense for M51 going towards features the Gungnir lacks.
The Gungnir was a significant upgrade from the Bifrost. Extended use though has revealed qualities I find irksome. While it's exciting on initial listen, I now find it too forward. Details are always spotlit, accentuated to unnutural levels at all times. There's grain and abrassiveness, an in your face, gritty presentation lacking finesse. The Gungnir is like a Grado.
And no, the HD800 and Mjolnir are not to blame. I'm convinced the Gungnir is the source. These qualities are also heard through other headphones, and also through actives fed directly by the Gungnir.
Unfortunately my M51 did not arrive yesterday as anticipated (hopefully it lands before the holiday shutdown). Ears I trust have tipped the hat in the M51's favor over the Gungnir and other "higher end" dacs. The M51 would have to be the biggest dissapointment if, against the praise it has garnered, it's still outgunned by the Gungnir. I'll find out soon enough.

I did compare the two. The M51 was better as it should be, however all things considered it wasn't as good as expected.
The Gungnir wasn't far enough behind M51 for me to justify its costs. 
Taking price out of the equation the M51 is a very nice DAC with a full feature set. 

The PWD2 is a class above DAC with a hefty price-tag. However there was a lot of buzz around the M51, which is why I said expectation bias may have played its part.

I also think the Gungnir is a significant upgrade from the Bifrost. I don't feel the same when jumping from Gungnir to the M51. 

The differences between DACs at this stage are much more subtle compared to differences between headphones, And I feel my thoughts reflect this,
between the Mytek, M51 and Gungnir there's more similarities between them, than compared to the PWD2, for example.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #39 of 88
I think most that have dabbled beyond the entry level understand that differences described are often quite subtle and jumps in SQ aren't as striking as that first exposure to decent gear. I'm sure you'd also understand, that when dealing with transducers as capable as the HD800, LCD-3, HE-6 etc, that these subtle differences can make or break the entire rig.

Dec 21, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #40 of 88
Quote:
I think most that have dabbled beyond the entry level understand that differences described are often quite subtle and jumps in SQ aren't as striking as that first exposure to decent gear. I'm sure you'd also understand, that when dealing with transducers as capable as the HD800, LCD-3, HE-6 etc, that these subtle differences can make or break the entire rig.

No argument there. But I don't agree with either M51, Gungnir or Mytek being make or break components.

Dec 21, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #41 of 88
OK guys
Nice the way this whole thread got sidetracked..anyway..got the HD 800's
First impressions-----WOW !!!!...Excellent.
You can put the gloves back on,punch each other out,whatever,I'm busy listening to  my music

This is unbelievable,beautiful...& I thought the he-6's were good-Jesus!
I'm totally immersed in the music.

Dec 23, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #42 of 88
After about 36 hours on the HD 800's,I'm really liking them
One question ..... on some of my classical cd's,I'm experiencing a definite hissing,that's going on in the backround.
Is this  due to the 800's ability , to pick up all details,or,just a poor recording,or,both?
Also,on these records ,I have to crank up the volume on the mjolnir

On all my newer recordings,especially those that were made in the last couple of years, come through crystal clear,with amazing detail..

A very Merry Chrismas,and hope all of us have, a peaceful & pleasant audio New Year.
Mike

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:24 AM Post #43 of 88
Quote:
After about 36 hours on the HD 800's,I'm really liking them
One question ..... on some of my classical cd's,I'm experiencing a definite hissing,that's going on in the backround.
Is this  due to the 800's ability , to pick up all details,or,just a poor recording,or,both?
Also,on these records ,I have to crank up the volume on the mjolnir

On all my newer recordings,especially those that were made in the last couple of years, come through crystal clear,with amazing detail..

A very Merry Chrismas,and hope all of us have, a peaceful & pleasant audio New Year.
Mike

Perhaps the master tapes of your older classical recordings have some analog tape hiss on them.  They can be great recordings  but the more revealing headphone can pick up these slight flaws easily.  That's the price you pay for having high end equipment.  But, you know this I'll bet.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:39 AM Post #44 of 88
bbop,
Tnx for your reply.

I should have paid more attention as to what,I was ordering, from amazon
I have been looking for a few cd's;one of all Brahms & Beethoven's symphonies..complete sets.
But,I only wanted Herbert Von Karajin & the Berlin Philharmonic--turns out they were copies of recording made in 1976.

Looks like I will have to start a new search?

Mike

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #45 of 88
Quote:
bbop,
Tnx for your reply.

I should have paid more attention as to what,I was ordering, from amazon
I have been looking for a few cd's;one of all Brahms & Beethoven's symphonies..complete sets.
But,I only wanted Herbert Von Karajin & the Berlin Philharmonic--turns out they were copies of recording made in 1976.

Looks like I will have to start a new search?

Mike

Don't know from Brahms but some new Beethoven sets prolly have real good sound, Vanska, etc., although maybe a far cry from that old jet setter.
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back