HD800>He-6 comparisons?
Dec 21, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #16 of 88
Quote:
I'm interested in what olor1n said.  Just how good is the gun as a DAC outside the Shciit stack compared to the PWD2, m51, Mytek, A D2?

Think? ,he might have been referring to the M51 ,which is."incoming"

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #18 of 88
Quote:
Yeah - I was also thinking about picking up the m51 or the Mytek.  Both has a really nice feature set. 

Are you still needing AES? 

I have a heavy wallet for the Invicta, but I need to demo one before hand.
The M51 and D2 both underperformed for me. Expectation bias may have been present, 
but I just think there's better value out there.

That said, dude, you got the PWD2. You don't need nothin' else! 

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #19 of 88
On this one I really don't need the AES.  The next DAC is for a different room altogether.  Yeah the PWD2 is something special.  The m51 and the D2 didn't do well?  That's surprising.  I guess it's best to hear from those who don't have it instead from those who do.

I did hear the D2 - it was pretty good.  I haven't heard the m51 or the Mytek..  

How much is that invicta?

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #20 of 88
Quote:
On this one I really don't need the AES.  The next DAC is for a different room altogether.  Yeah the PWD2 is something special.  The m51 and the D2 didn't do well?  That's surprising.  I guess it's best to hear from those who don't have it instead from those who do.

I did hear the D2 - it was pretty good.  I haven't heard the m51 or the Mytek..  

How much is that invicta?

It's not that they didn't do well. But when taking into account price disparity I did expect more. This is comparatively to some of the much higher end gear.

The Invicta is $3995.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #21 of 88
Quote:
It's not that they didn't do well. But when taking into account price disparity I did expect more. This is comparatively to some of the much higher end gear.

The Invicta is $3995.

OK  gotcha.  My Buffalo III sounded identical to the D2 to my ears.  However, my Buffalo III got Some Audio Note caps in it.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #22 of 88
Quote:

OK  gotcha.  My Buffalo III sounded identical to the D2 to my ears.  However, my Buffalo III got Some Audio Note caps in it.

Yea. DIY is always the way to go, even though you don't do any of it yourself. Still good value.

Dec 21, 2012 at 2:36 PM Post #24 of 88
Quote:

What do you mean - I can turn the screw..  

The value would be even more tremendous if done by yourself. That said, turning a screw is enough work.

Dec 21, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #26 of 88
Yeah - I was also thinking about picking up the m51 or the Mytek. Both has a really nice feature set.

Are you still needing AES?

I have a heavy wallet for the Invicta, but I need to demo one before hand.
The M51 and D2 both underperformed for me. Expectation bias may have been present,
but I just think there's better value out there.

That said, dude, you got the PWD2. You don't need nothin' else!

In what way did the M51 under-perform? Were you able to compare beside the Gungnir and conclude the Schiit sounded better? Or did your dissapointment stem from the price disparity and the M51 was actually the more impressive dac (compared to the Gungnir), if taking price out of the equation?

The price disparity is not a factor for me. I was able to purchase the M51 new for $1399, while the Gungnir sells for $1039 from Schiit's only distributer in Australia. These two components are in the same price bracket here, with the extra expense for M51 going towards features the Gungnir lacks.

The Gungnir was a significant upgrade from the Bifrost. Extended use though has revealed qualities I find irksome. While it's exciting on initial listen, I now find it too forward. Details are always spotlit, accentuated to unnutural levels at all times. There's grain and abrassiveness, an in your face, gritty presentation lacking finesse. The Gungnir is like a Grado.

And no, the HD800 and Mjolnir are not to blame. I'm convinced the Gungnir is the source. These qualities are also heard through other headphones, and also through actives fed directly by the Gungnir.

Unfortunately my M51 did not arrive yesterday as anticipated (hopefully it lands before the holiday shutdown). Ears I trust have tipped the hat in the M51's favor over the Gungnir and other "higher end" dacs. The M51 would have to be the biggest dissapointment if, against the praise it has garnered, it's still outgunned by the Gungnir. I'll find out soon enough.

Dec 21, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #27 of 88
Ears I trust has said the same thing about the m51.  They liked it over the Mytek by a very short margin.  Not many of the people ears I trust have tried the gun.

I had the Mj on the PWD2 and still I found it very forward, to much for my tastes and yes it did lack a ton of finesse compared to my B22.  In fact the only headphones is sounded good with IMO was both LCDs.  All other headphones I preferred on the B22.   The PWD2 + MJ + HD800 was not a good match IMO.  This amp is just to forward sounding for the HD800 IMO.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #28 of 88
You guys need to work on reading comprehension. 
wink.gif

I was describing the Gungnir when outlining the forward qualities I've found tiresome over time. Perhaps the Mjolnir has this quality too, though it was more restrained when I had the Bifrost plugged into it. The Gungnir has it too, and more imo, with a certain edge and dryness. The Mjolnir is less conspicuous, but it does not curtail these aspects originating from the source. I suspect the HD800 will shine when fed a signal as clean as what the M51 reportedly presents.

Also, please note these aspects I've outlined are incredibly subtle. It's taken months of ownership and a wide gamut of material to come to this conclusion. The Schiit stack with the HD800 at the end is a very good one. The HD800 just demands better, particularly in the source department.

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #29 of 88
Also, please note these aspects I've outlined are incredibly subtle. It's taken months of ownership and a wide gamut of material to come to this conclusion. The Schiit stack with the HD800 at the end is a very good one. The HD800 just demands better, particularly in the source department."

Thanks olor,

Excellent,
This is just the info I was waiting for

Supposed to pick up the 800's later tonght

Tnx
Mike

Dec 21, 2012 at 6:17 PM Post #30 of 88
Or maybe it's you that need to work on reading comprehension.

I was describing my experience with the MJ and my B22 with the PWD2 and all the headphones we tried.  And yes the Mj still has these forward qualities.   The amp is what's amplifying the signal not the DAC, the gun. only puts out about 2 or 3 VRMS.
blink.gif
  Other DACs we tried were the Buffalo III and the Anedio D2  Same results from the amp..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back