HD800 and T1 musings...
Dec 29, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #556 of 1,024
I took me a few days to become fed up completely with the 120 ohm adapter sound. I installed the resistors in my amp but several listening comparisons led me to the conclusion that it was making things worse. Whether you "need" it or not is a matter of taste and the amp used. Disconnect the shields inside of the jack and isolate them from each other and the ground pin. There is a thread explaining this. Makes more sense than using resistors.

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #557 of 1,024
Dec 30, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #558 of 1,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is a picture of the adapter, along with my old DT990s, halfway down this page: 
http://www.moon-audio.com/Modified_Headphones.htm

Thanks.

Quote:
I took me a few days to become fed up completely with the 120 ohm adapter sound. I installed the resistors in my amp but several listening comparisons led me to the conclusion that it was making things worse. Whether you "need" it or not is a matter of taste and the amp used. Disconnect the shields inside of the jack and isolate them from each other and the ground pin. There is a thread explaining this. Makes more sense than using resistors.

Oh ok, so I don't have any mod to do with my FP-704 plug if I'm correct.

Jan 3, 2011 at 2:57 AM Post #560 of 1,024
I have a 120 ohm resistor and it did not change the sound of the HD800 nearly as noticeably as with my other, lower impedance headphones although it certainly did change.

With the low impedance ones it is rather drastic.

Jan 3, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #561 of 1,024
This is because of proportion and resulting damping factor decrease. 300 ohms divided by 120 is 2.5 while 32 divided by 120 is 0.267. Almost ten times less. You also sacrifice a lot of available power for low impedance headphones this way.

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #562 of 1,024
I finally had the opportunity to try both of these headphones at a local meet. My initial impression is that the T1 sounded brighter than the HD800. I also detected a "steely" quality in its presentation that I think Innerspace has commented upon. It was very clean and coherent but it didn't really engage me. 

I found the HD800 almost reticent in comparison. I was ambivalent about its distant presentation upon the first listen and didn't quite know what to make of it. However, it intrigued me enough to go back for another try, which I enjoyed more.

I would like to spend some more time with the HD800 but I can't say the same for the T1 at the moment. The HD800 was also noticeably more comfortable. Obviously short listens under meet conditions are far from ideal but at least it has satisfied my curiosity. 

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #563 of 1,024

Quote:
I finally had the opportunity to try both of these headphones at a local meet. My initial impression is that the T1 sounded brighter than the HD800. I also detected a "steely" quality in its presentation that I think Innerspace has commented upon. It was very clean and coherent but it didn't really engage me. 

I found the HD800 almost reticent in comparison. I was ambivalent about its distant presentation upon the first listen and didn't quite know what to make of it. However, it intrigued me enough to go back for another try, which I enjoyed more.

I would like to spend some more time with the HD800 but I can't say the same for the T1 at the moment. The HD800 was also noticeably more comfortable. Obviously short listens under meet conditions are far from ideal but at least it has satisfied my curiosity. 

I'm glad you were able to audition these mighty fine cans for yourself.  I had borrowed both a T1 and a HD800...the T1 I let go, because I felt it didn't do anything for me also.  As you observed, although the HD800 didn't sound perfect, there were combinations of qualities that I found very intriguing and pleasant, so I held onto the HD800 for longer.  I do feel that the HD800 and T1 were polar opposites in the way uppermids were presented.

However, after a few months I realise that I could never live with the treble presentation of the HD800 and I now think that if I had to chose either the T1 or the HD800 for keeps, I would go with the T1, even though I still rate the HD800 as the more "realistic" (in some ways) and technically more capable can, the T1 never offended me with its treble presentation (I felt they were entirely non-fatigueing), and unfortunately, it was like I eventually developed an almost sickening reaction to my treble sensitivity and how it interacted with the HD800s presentation of treble.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:42 PM Post #564 of 1,024
I had the same experience. Originally auditioned the HD 800 and found them far superior to the T1 (or anything else I tried). As I started living with them the treble started to offend me more and more until I didn´t really look forward to listening to music with them anymore. I guess the old classic audiophile advice that if something sounds unremarkable, it might be a good thing in the end. At least if I´d make the choice again today I´d definately go for the T1 instead. The HD 800 ended up sold eventually, and was replaced by an LCD-2...

And then the LCD-2 was sold too :wink: 

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #565 of 1,024

Quote:
I had the same experience. Originally auditioned the HD 800 and found them far superior to the T1 (or anything else I tried). As I started living with them the treble started to offend me more and more until I didn´t really look forward to listening to music with them anymore. I guess the old classic audiophile advice that if something sounds unremarkable, it might be a good thing in the end. At least if I´d make the choice again today I´d definately go for the T1 instead. The HD 800 ended up sold eventually, and was replaced by an LCD-2...

And then the LCD-2 was sold too :wink: 

Some of us audiophiles are just never happy :wink:

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #566 of 1,024
It is the road traveled, not the destinations.
wink_face.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #569 of 1,024

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
 It is the road traveled, not the destinations 

The trouble is that blisters still feel the same whether they are developing, or fully developed......

In my teens I felt the same way about breasts......oopps, did i really say that!
tongue.gif

I guess you meant to post that on the breastophile boards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back