HD800 Amp match made in heaven.. what is it?
Dec 21, 2009 at 5:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

myk7000

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Currently I am using my beloved Headroom Ultra Micro DAC and AMP (Which have the same components as the headroom ultra desktop) as my primary headphone amp.

However, I have this sudden urge to upgrade. To be honest I'm on quite a budget and am probably looking for something along the same price line as my ultra amp and dac combined and maybe a little more.

Currently I am looking at returning to the pico dac (as I can't seem discern the differences as well with DACs) but wanting to pair an excellent amp to it.

The main things I look to get are an increase in soundstage and more lower end heft.

Some I've seen that match well with the HD800 are:

DNA Sonett
Audio-GD Phoenix
Zana Deux
SPL Auditor
RWA Signature 30.2
Beta22
GS-1
Woo Audio 2

Mind you many of these are out of my price range. Any other recommendations for top notch headphone amps?

Looking at single ended.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:31 AM Post #2 of 36
Hi, myk7000
I am quite happy with my Beta22 and HD800, can't give any comment on the rest of the amps though.
I just want to remind you that HD800 is very source depend, a good amp can't really guarantee anything.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #4 of 36
Headroom Ultra is very good with the HD800 in my experience.
If you are looking for something different, I'd go the tube route.
My favorite amp with the HD800 is DNA Sonett. WA6SE is also very good, but Sonett surpasses it in my opinion.
Honestly though, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the amps you listed...ideally you should try out the various amps and see which one floats your boat.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #5 of 36
SDS-XLR. Even single ended, it's glorious. Would love to hear a balanced pair of HD800 with it some day, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on a recable job.

Dec 21, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #6 of 36
The DNA Sonett is reasonably priced and I think the HD-800 sounds wonderful on it. You also get the benefit of only having two tubes to deal with. Retubing would be affordable compared to many amps.

If you're feeling adventurous, you could always pick up a soldering iron and a Beta22 kit. There's a good build thread here and lots of owners who could help you
through.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 36
Well I do hope there's a Los Angeles meet soon so that I can check out some of these amps with these headphones. I honestly need to try some to see how well this ultra stack does against some of these bigger amplifiers.

Uncle Erik and peanuthead do you know of any amps that are similar in price to the dna sonett that perform as well? And will something as simple as a pico dac suffice?

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 36
I like the Beta22 or the Zana Duex. But with the B22 you want to go balanced which rules out the Pico and with the Zana you will probably hear the drawback of the Pico, not that the Pico is not a great little dac, it is, but you will hear the difference with a Zana Duex or probably the B22, that is what happened to me when I did the amp upgrade. Then I had to do the dac upgrade to accommodate the more discernible amp. Good Luck, and listen up!

Dec 21, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #9 of 36
The balanced β22 I currently have is OK with HD800’s in my opinion it’s more suited to HD6XX’s whilst it’s transparent and dynamic it lacks a dimensionality or soul if you will I’ve heard from other gear (my taste).
I have high hopes for a balanced EHHA from cavalli audio Embedded Hybrid Headphone Amlifier for my HD800’s it’s a hybrid design which in theory will be the best of both worlds. The EHHA is also less costly than the β22, from all accounts I read thus far it’s seems to be well in β22 territory and maybe preferred if tubes are your bag.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SDS-XLR. Even single ended, it's glorious. Would love to hear a balanced pair of HD800 with it some day, but haven't yet pulled the trigger on a recable job.

Really? I thought the SDS-XLR sounded like garbage with the HD800. It shines with the R10 though. Maybe you have different tubes in yours than Blubliss had in his.

Dec 21, 2009 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by myk7000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currently I am using my beloved Headroom Ultra Micro DAC and AMP (Which have the same components as the headroom ultra desktop) as my primary headphone amp.

This claim in red may be misleading, giving folks the impression that the components in the HR Ultra Micro Amp and the HR Ultra Desktop are equal. As a cautionary measure, propective buyers should go to the HR site and read the info under the "What We Think" tab. Also, call or write HR and ask questions.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #13 of 36
Put Phonitor on your list. It is wonderfull comb with HD800. Not so good with HD650 though. Phonitor give this magical detail, body and bass to HD800 which is known for bright and lack of bass impact. But it also little less 3D sounding than tube amps. RWA Signature 30.2 is not very hot with HD800 from what I heard at Seattle mini meet, HD800 sounded lean, and less emotional.

Dec 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 36
The best I've heard the HD800 was balanced - this may be the route to take to truly maximize your 800 experience

Dec 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp11801 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well if you can track down a stacker ll that will sound great or the Zana would get my vote also the RSA Raptor sounded great with the HD800s at RMAF in Jude's set up

Do you know what tubes he was running in his Raptor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back