HD700 Listening.
Nov 27, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #16 of 35
  Ask and ye shall receive.  I'm simply trying to find out why you find it necessary to come in and bash the HD700s by saying that you'd pay no more than $200 for them, but offer no reason as to why.  I've listened to the HD700s rather extensively, so if we have a discussion about the pros and cons of them, I feel it could benefit others on the forum.  Have you had the chance the audition the HD700s?  I'm assuming you have, since you were able to form your own opinion of their value.

These are awesome and I love them. I picked them above the HD800s even though I could afford them. 

I'll explain why: 

1) Super Comfortable: Lighter, and to me more Comfortable than even the 800s. The two most comfortable Heads I've tried. I've tried
the best, including the Fostex 900. I can wear this for 12 hours straight. I actually have.  

2) Solid Vocals: I don't even need to say more. It's exciting. Strangely I really enjoy techno on it. It's exciting to listen to and doesn't get tiring. 

3) Decent Bass: Cannot compare with some of the other boys, but solid layering.

What's not so good about it: 

1) Treble Peak: Can be painful with the wrong amp on high frequency

2) Amp pairing: It's actually not that easy to get perfect sound on this. It's easy to get very good sound. But it took me 6 months to find the "Perfect Amp" 
one which surprised me...  

3) Bass: Miss stronger bass at times. 

It took me 8 hours of auditioning to pick this out amongst a lineup of leaders.It was for me the best fit for something I needed to wear for a long time
in the office. 

That being said, if you have 5 grand sitting around.... consider auditioning the Fostex 900 with the HP8AC amp. That one was brilliant (though perhaps
more tiring on an extended basis) 

Again these are my ears! 

May 26, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #17 of 35

2) Amp pairing: It's actually not that easy to get perfect sound on this. It's easy to get very good sound. But it took me 6 months to find the "Perfect Amp" 

one which surprised me...  

Ok I will bite, which amp surprised you on the HD700?

May 27, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #20 of 35
I've auditioned the HD700 and the HD800 a while ago. The HD700 doesn't do anything wrong expect the harsch and overly annoying treble peak(s). The HD800 was superior. Sennheiser did such a beautiful job on the HD600/HD650. I don't know why they had to add so much treble to their newer phones... hi-fi isn't just about microdetails. To me, and for this price, (sorry sennheiser, you know I love you) the HD700 is a fail.

Sep 8, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #21 of 35
I have owned HD800s and HD700s.  I sold the 800s and kept the 700s.  I also have the Dt880 250 ohm, balanced and LCD3 F balanced.  I use the 700s for general listening. (80% of all listening)  I am pleased with the sound and find that they are just slightly less revealing that the 800s.  For general listening I found this to be a plus. My amp situation is described below. In balanced mode with the amp below I have been very pleased with the 700s.  They also wear well for extended listening. I see a lot of negative commentary on the 700s but my experience has been positive.  I agree with HPiper in his qualitative assessment. On the quant side the freq response curves are in the public domain for the HD800, 700 and 650. I paid a net $500 for my 700s new so deals are out there. My advise would be try them all and buy the pair you like best.  If that is not an option you might consider buying used and reselling.  Using that approach I have been able to sample a lot of gear for little net cash. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #22 of 35
  I have owned HD800s and HD700s.  I sold the 800s and kept the 700s.  I also have the Dt880 250 ohm, balanced and LCD3 F balanced.  I use the 700s for general listening. (80% of all listening)  I am pleased with the sound and find that they are just slightly less revealing that the 800s.  For general listening I found this to be a plus. My amp situation is described below. In balanced mode with the amp below I have been very pleased with the 700s.  They also wear well for extended listening. I see a lot of negative commentary on the 700s but my experience has been positive.  I agree with HPiper in his qualitative assessment. On the quant side the freq response curves are in the public domain for the HD800, 700 and 650. I paid a net $500 for my 700s new so deals are out there. My advise would be try them all and buy the pair you like best.  If that is not an option you might consider buying used and reselling.  Using that approach I have been able to sample a lot of gear for little net cash. 

Hi Bellasperson,
in your profile it shows that you sold the HD700 in th end. Would you be so kind and elaborate why? Btw, I will get mine on Monday, got the used like mint for 381€.
Cheers

Peter

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 35
Really liked the 700s but in the end when I decide to reduce to 1 pair of phones I kept the Audeze LCD 3fs.  In part is was the pairing with the Inspire IHA-1. I am starting to put together an office system and the 700s will be a strong candidate.  They are still the most comfortable phones I have owned.

Jan 17, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #24 of 35
Hey fellas, not to offend lovers of the HD700, but I just spent considerable time today comparing the HD700 to the HD800 and what I heard....is two headphones that are worlds apart. The HD800 is magnitudes superior in clarity, soundstage, dynamics, even bass. That said the HD700 is not a bad headphone...it's just that I don't think I could justify spending more than $300 on them. I think the HD600 which I also listened to sounded better than the HD700. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #25 of 35
That is part of what makes the hobby interesting.  I owned the 650s and the 700s and found the 700s distinctly more enjoyable. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #26 of 35
I've found a lot of exaggerating like above on this board. While the HD800 is technically superior at imaging and micro detail. It lacks texture and layering and while the HD700 isn't a god, it is more musical, textured and has slightly better mids.

The HD700 is still a hifi headphone but the HD800 is technically superior, it isn't exactly like going from the M50 to the HE500. It's a bit better yes, again at this level the technical differences get smaller.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:14 PM Post #27 of 35
I've found a lot of exaggerating like above on this board. While the HD800 is technically superior at imaging and micro detail. It lacks texture and layering and while the HD700 isn't a god, it is more musical, textured and has slightly better mids.

The HD700 is still a hifi headphone but the HD800 is technically superior, it isn't exactly like going from the M50 to the HE500. It's a bit better yes, again at this level the technical differences get smaller.

I think some of it comes down to what people find pleasing and important to the sound. To me, I'm instantly put-off if a headphone sounds grainy, congested, or compressed. The clarity, detail, speed and smoothness of the  HD800 are reasons it has wow factor to me. The HD700 is fine, but it isn't anything special to me. In this same listening session I mentioned above, I listened to the entire Audeze line (except the new EL-8). And you know what? They were a massive disappointment. They all sound compressed, especially in the vocals. Yes, the bass was great, but the compression of vocals and lack of extension in the highs makes them sound like the headphone version of crummy boombox speakers. Audeze headphones sound like taking nice car sound system and removing the tweeters. I'm rambling now, but what I'm getting at is personal preference is a powerful thing. Some people would read what I wrote and think I'm insane, but maybe there is someone out there who appreciates the aspects of sound that I do who will read what I wrote and save themselves the headache of buying a headphone they don't like.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #28 of 35
I think a lot of it is just preference. I have a lot of respect for the HD800 as a technical achievement. I did not find them an easy pair of phones to enjoy.  My hypothesis is that the recording imperfections in the music I listen to tended to fall in the frequency range that is emphasized by the 800s.  What I experience was a level of imperfection that was distracting.  I moded the phones, changed cables, switched tubes.. I really wanted to like the phones but in the end they didnt work for me.  The Audeze LCD 3f has been my best match.  My second best match was the HD700s. Others would make the call differently.  As we can see from this thread many feel quite strongly that my choice is incorrect.  I can only say that my choices work best for me.

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:38 PM Post #29 of 35
I think a lot of it is just preference. I have a lot of respect for the HD800 as a technical achievement. I did not find them an easy pair of phones to enjoy.  My hypothesis is that the recording imperfections in the music I listen to tended to fall in the frequency range that is emphasized by the 800s.  What I experience was a level of imperfection that was distracting.  I moded the phones, changed cables, switched tubes.. I really wanted to like the phones but in the end they didnt work for me.  The Audeze LCD 3f has been my best match.  My second best match was the HD700s. Others would make the call differently.  As we can see from this thread many feel quite strongly that my choice is incorrect.  I can only say that my choices work best for me.

Well said!

Dec 16, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 35
I'm not sure how old this thread is but I am excited like a seven year old on Christmas morning who just received his first (shoot your eye out) BB gun.  My 700's will be here on Monday the week of Christmas.  I currently own an Oppo HA-2SE amp.  1. Does anyone else use this combo, the 700's and the HA-2SE?  I'm curious.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back