HD700 Listening.
Jul 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

vicjohn

Member of the Trade: Vicjohn Audio
I tried HD700 for one hour and I want to buy for three reasons:

.cheaper than hd800...(but not much.)

.smaller than hd800...(can make more smaller?)

.easier to drive than hd800(good for my portable amps)

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #2 of 35
Again, For same reasons mentioned by "vicjohn" above . . .

I'm also buying HD700 and currently on the way, they are going to be my first premium quality headphones
I think it's the time for me to upgrade from HD595 which I owned four years ago
I'll pair them with CI Audio VHP-2+VAC-1 Amp through my USB X-Fi HD

I hope to hear a considerable improvements via my current set-up
etysmile.gif

Jul 5, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #3 of 35
Well perhaps what matters the most is ....  SOUND.
Have you listened seriously to both  hd700, hd800 ?
One of the reason to get the hd800, it's it ability to render micro details.
The hd700 doesn't do this.
Also it's exceptional, for a sennheiser product, the hd700  have lot of treble peaks, and there are lot of people disappointed, and rather have even a hd598.
The hd700 shouldn't really be considered as something between the hd650 and hd800, but something different.
Also the hd800 are not so hard to drive, I found they run fine from a xonar stx.

Lot of feedback on this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/589738

Regarding premium headphone, purrin suggester better headphones for the price here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012/3135#post_8438661

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 35
Quote:
Well perhaps what matters the most is ....  SOUND.
Have you listened seriously to both  hd700, hd800 ?
One of the reason to get the hd800, it's it ability to render micro details.
The hd700 doesn't do this.
Also it's exceptional, for a sennheiser product, the hd700  have lot of treble peaks, and there are lot of people disappointed, and rather have even a hd598.
The hd700 shouldn't really be considered as something between the hd650 and hd800, but something different.
Also the hd800 are not so hard to drive, I found they run fine from a xonar stx.

Lot of feedback on this thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/589738

Regarding premium headphone, purrin suggester better headphones for the price here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/589738/sennheiser-hd-700-officially-unveiled-at-ces-2012/3135#post_8438661

Have you personally listened to the HD700s?

Sep 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 35
I have. Though it sounded good and can create a good sound stage, I felt like it's should be priced lower than it is.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:02 AM Post #6 of 35
Quote:
I have. Though it sounded good and can create a good sound stage, I felt like it's should be priced lower than it is.

I agree with this.  I think they overshot the MSRP on the HD700s.  I'd probably put them around $800.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #8 of 35
Quote:
I'd pay no more than 200.

And some people wouldn't pay more than $200 for the LCD-3 if they don't like the sound signature.  That's not really what we're talking about here.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:
But I'm not talking about sound signature alone.

You don't seem to be talking about very much at all.  Care to elaborate? 

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:
You're not talking about it very much at all either.  

Ask and ye shall receive.  I'm simply trying to find out why you find it necessary to come in and bash the HD700s by saying that you'd pay no more than $200 for them, but offer no reason as to why.  I've listened to the HD700s rather extensively, so if we have a discussion about the pros and cons of them, I feel it could benefit others on the forum.  Have you had the chance the audition the HD700s?  I'm assuming you have, since you were able to form your own opinion of their value.

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #13 of 35
Yes, unfortunately the local hi-fi shop has a contract with Sennheiser or something, so I've gotten to hear nearly every phone in their premium lineup, ranging from 555 to 800.  

I'm not trying to bash the HD700 per say, but I'd go so far as to say I'd pay way less for every headphone on the market, as it's a sick game of price gouging, because they know the people they're targeting would just as easily pay another couple hundred dollars than something cheaper-- most of the time.

The HD700 doesn't sound anything special to me, it just sounds like another average open dynamic headphone with little resonance problems-- typical of the rest of the 500 and 600 series Sennhesiers, and some from other companies.  They just threw in upper midrange and treble emphasis to make it sound more detailed.  The same trick was done with the lean sounding HD800, but that in comparison sounds more balanced, and I actually consider it very fast, even though I do not like it.  I'd only buy an HD800 if it was under 500.  Beyond those technicalities, the frequency response is highly irritating to me.  I think it's beyond the point of a person picking and choosing based on their desired coloration, because the upper midrange of the HD700 is far too intrusive and insulting to be considered high fidelity.  

Sep 3, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:
Yes, unfortunately the local hi-fi shop has a contract with Sennheiser or something, so I've gotten to hear nearly every phone in their premium lineup, ranging from 555 to 800.  

I'm not trying to bash the HD700 per say, but I'd go so far as to say I'd pay way less for every headphone on the market, as it's a sick game of price gouging, because they know the people they're targeting would just as easily pay another couple hundred dollars than something cheaper-- most of the time.

The HD700 doesn't sound anything special to me, it just sounds like another average open dynamic headphone with little resonance problems-- typical of the rest of the 500 and 600 series Sennhesiers, and some from other companies.  They just threw in upper midrange and treble emphasis to make it sound more detailed.  The same trick was done with the lean sounding HD800, but that in comparison sounds more balanced, and I actually consider it very fast, even though I do not like it.  I'd only buy an HD800 if it was under 500.  Beyond those technicalities, the frequency response is highly irritating to me.  I think it's beyond the point of a person picking and choosing based on their desired coloration, because the upper midrange of the HD700 is far too intrusive and insulting to be considered high fidelity.  

I do agree with what you're saying about the overall price trend in headphones.  It seems like "diminishing returns" has become very strong with all the new high end phones that have come out in the last 5 years.  I haven't auditioned the HD800s in my home; I only heard them at shows.  I auditioned a bunch of higher-end headphones from my dealer before quickly settling on the LCD-2s.  I was considering demoing the HD800s, but I knew that I wasn't going to spend $1500 on them.  

I do see what you're saying about the HD700s.  I could never have them as my all-rounder headphones, but as a set of analytical headphones used for acoustic and classical, I think they are a nice, cheaper alternative to the HD800s.  Unfortunately, there are a lot of tricks used when tweaking the sound of headphones.  I recently learned that almost all headphones have a dip around 1000k due to the way the ears perceive sound coming from headphones.  I will have to try and dig up the link for this, because it was interesting.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #15 of 35
Headroom had some very good literature about the ripple-like frequency response of over-ear headphones.

I personally find the HD700 great with electronica- despite the fact that I'm thinking of selling mine to upgrade to the LCD-X or 3 (neither of which I've heard yet), but I will miss their synergy with electronic music.

I auditioned the HD700, T1 and 650 in my home.  Everything went back except the HD700s.  Although the T1s were extremely resolving, the fact that they pulled soooo much micro-detail just began to annoy me.  I felt like the HD700 kept the Sennheiser signature but with much better instrument separation and sound staging then the comparatively lower end models (like the 650).  They also didn't quite overwhelm my puny head like I was afraid the 800s would.

Clearly I've changed my tune on that since I'm now considering the massive Audezes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back