HD650 with rock music ????
May 20, 2006 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

100+ Head-Fier
Hello,
I listen to mostly 80s and 90s rock music and some newer alternative. Would the HD650 be good for this type of music? I hear they are laid back, but does that = bad headphone for rock? Would I be better with a Grado (ms2i)? Or how about the k701? Thanks for your responses. They are appriecated.

Kevin

May 20, 2006 at 7:15 AM Post #3 of 49
I would say Grado (any), then 701, then 650

May 20, 2006 at 7:17 AM Post #5 of 49
despite my love for my sennheisers... i must say that the grados are better for basically all rock music... unless it's a live recording and you want to hear the audience, or have one killer balenced amp.

May 20, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #6 of 49
wow, quick responses! so i guess the ms2i would suit me? And I know this is the wrong forum, but would the Gilmore lite be a better amp than the micro for grados? Thanks.

May 20, 2006 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 49
I listen almost exclusively to rock (more current indie than 80s & 90s, though) and prefer HD650s to Grados. The Grado 225 were just too bright for my taste and I got a headache whenever I listened to them for more than half an hour. The HD650 offers better detail, sweeter mids, and much improved comfort. Their reputation for being laid back is overstated, IMO.

May 20, 2006 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 49
I considered Grados, but I was concerned that the sound was overly bright, and might not be comfortable to wear any length of time when wearing my glasses (which would be most of my listening time, in the evenings).

HeadRoom said this about Grado's former flagship cans the RS1: "...the high pricetag seems just a bit steep given the equal or even slightly superior performance by the AKG 701, the Sennheiser HD650 and maybe the BeyerDynamic DT880."

In my months of research in reviews and forums, a good 80% seem to agree, preferring one of the above or a couple others. Plenty of them likely listen to a lot of rock music.

May 20, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #9 of 49
hd650's are definitely very good for rock, they just aren't AS good grados. Its very much about the presentation, and some people might like that sort of presentation for rock. I personally sold off my hd650's in favor of another Grado.

May 20, 2006 at 3:55 PM Post #10 of 49
Personally I think the HD650 is a *great* can for rock, certainly better than the K701 in my opinion. The Grado sound is more aggressive to be sure, but the Senns hold their own.

It's all about preference. What sound coloration do YOU prefer. The only way to find the answer to that question is to listen to the headphones under consideration for yourself, preferably with your own gear. There are a number of Head-Fi sponsors who offer generous return policies that allow you to do just that, as long as you don't abuse the privilege. Use the opinions of others as general guidance only, and be particularly wary when someone speaks in absolutes. Unless they're bashing Bose. Then it's OK.
icon10.gif

May 20, 2006 at 4:14 PM Post #11 of 49
They're probably the worst cans for rock.

I had SA5000 and RS-2 for rock music (650 for something else). And now W5000 for everything.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2006 at 4:20 PM Post #12 of 49
Overall I prefer my 650's for rock than my 225's.

Do not rule out the 650's, well worth a listen. I find if partnered with a forward source/amp combo they can sing with rock. They may still not have the attack of Grado's but what is there is enough to get enjoyment from this genre.

I personally find, on my rigs at any rate, that 225's are too bright and bass shy with bowls, then a bit muddy with flats. There is always something not quite right for my tastes that really spoils my enjoyment.

I find overall, the 650's on the whole to be a more pleasing experience.

May 20, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #15 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fastnbulbous
I considered Grados, but I was concerned that the sound was overly bright, and might not be comfortable to wear any length of time when wearing my glasses (which would be most of my listening time, in the evenings).

HeadRoom said this about Grado's former flagship cans the RS1: "...the high pricetag seems just a bit steep given the equal or even slightly superior performance by the AKG 701, the Sennheiser HD650 and maybe the BeyerDynamic DT880."

In my months of research in reviews and forums, a good 80% seem to agree, preferring one of the above or a couple others. Plenty of them likely listen to a lot of rock music.

Yet people keep buying the RS-1. Headroom has their preference, but they don't dictate what is good and what is better to us (it's just their opinion). Not everyone has Headrooms taste.

Besides, it's about the wood vs plastic in my case. I hear the plastic in Senn/AKG (no matter how much foam they use to muffle it). The wood sounds better to me. It gives me a rich and organic sound for far less than the Sony R10. I'm willing to pay the price.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back