HD650 vs HE-4
Jan 11, 2011 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

dub Beatz

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys. I would like some feedback from those of you who have listened to the HD650 and HE-4. I'm going to upgrade, and was hoping I could get some impressions. By the way, if those of you who have listened to either or both cans could also list your musical preferences it would be very helpful.

Jan 12, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #3 of 56
Thanks for the bump Alakalaka. I've done all the searching I can on the HE-4. I believe that's the problem, is the fact that the HE-4 are still brand new headphones. I've only read two reviews on them here on head-fi.

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 56
I'm also pretty interested in the HE-4, although I've decided to live with my setup for the time being (iMac->HRT MSII+->E9).

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #5 of 56

Quote:
I'm also pretty interested in the HE-4, although I've decided to live with my setup for the time being (iMac->HRT MSII+->E9).

upgraditis setting in brother

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #7 of 56

Quote:
Lol, come on. Someone has to have heard the HE-4!

Not many i'm afraid. Hifiman could easily have ridden the momentum generated by the HE-6 to promote this product at a later stage,and then have the HE-4 become it's own FOTM. Instead, they release them at the same time. The result: HE-4 is completely dwarfed by the flagship.

Not to be over critical, but their marketing strategy has me scratching my head.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 56
Jan 12, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #11 of 56
Same here disaster. I was about to snipe some LCD-2s but due to a lack of funds and the release of the HE-4 I'm reconsidering. Right now I can't afford the LCD-2.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #12 of 56
[size=10pt]Don't know whether this will be of any help but from reading about the HE-5LE it seemed that their signature was a balanced sound somewhere between the HD650 and the K70x but improved upon the two by being basically better at everything. For the price, it’s no surprise that the 5LE would do most things better...[/size]

[size=10pt]Now with the HE-4, I have a hunch that the HE-5LE / HE-5 wasn't as popular as HiFiMan had hoped because of its pricing, so they've directly set the HE-4 as a competitor to the HD650s price range.[/size]

[size=10pt]Taken from the head-direct site that the HE-4 has a "very similar sound signature" to the HE-5LE, therefore it would make sense that they have directly placed it in between the HD650 and the K70x in a pretty empty niche. Hence, I imagine the HE-4 to be similar in sound-character to the 5LE but quite simply with less quality. The HE-4 being a less-detailed, less-refined piece of gear, compared to the 5LE but more on-par with the HD650 and K70x in terms of limits and levels.[/size]

[size=10pt]That said I have yet to hear the HE-4 or 5LE for that matter and my ideas are purely subjective. Also the HE-4 is an extremely stubborn phone and has to be driven hard to reach its full potential; a possible set back if the end sound is only as good as others in its price range that can be run off cheaper amplifiers. Anyway enough from me now and on with the bump! Has anyone heard the HE-4 and HD650?
biggrin.gif
[/size]

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 56
Will, thanks for the input buddy. I had read this, but never thought much of it. I'm just wondering, have you heard the HD650 of K70x or even the 5le or HE-6? Haha, that's quite the range. Also, I would most likely be purchasing the HE-4 / EF5 combo.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #14 of 56
I have heard the HD650 and K701 at the Melbourne meet just last weekend, I did not particularly focus on listening to either as I was some what distracted by the T1, HD800, LCD-2 goodness surrounding me. Haven't heard anything from HiFiMan but am possibly purchasing a pair of the HE-5LE if everything works out, am very interested!

If you do go ahead and buy the HE-4 I would love to hear your impressions, particularly since your name would indicate a different listening genre than what most people on here use their headphones for.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:31 PM Post #15 of 56
Yeah, that was one of my primary concerns. I'm not exactly a classical, neutral, ultimately accurate audiophile kind of guy. I love my clarity and accuracy, don't get me wrong. I just prefer cans with a slight "fun" sound sig to them. I don't listen to analyze, I listen to enjoy myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back