HD650 vs HD598 vs HD600?
Jan 11, 2013 at 12:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

MISTERWIGGLES

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody Im a total noob when it comes to high end headphones seeing as how I've only ever used my m50's ampless but recently I decided to upgrade. I actually purchased both a fiio e17 and q701 but I returned the q701 because I felt that the vocals were too distant maybe too thin? Im not sure if thats the right word but anyway to me they didn't sound as good as my m50s. Ive heard that the hd598 have a smaller soundstage than the q701 so maybe more intimate vocals as well? Ive also heard really good things about the hd600 and the hd650 too. I mainly listen to rock music but Im looking for something with the best vocals possible, preferably warm and full not thin and distant like the AKG's. I also have the ability to purchase an e9 to go along with my e17 if I need more power. does anybody know which out of the hd650, hd600, or the hd598 would best suit my needs? heres a few songs to give an idea of the style of music I listen to 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yam5uK6e-bQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2GBoxdee52A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DSVDcw6iW8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEqawnBsQBw

any help would really be appreciated, thanks!

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 19
Why aren't you satisfied with your m50s? Just a case of upgraditis?

If you go the route of HD650 (and maybe HD600 as well) then you'll probably need to purchase a better amp to really do them justice.
I didn't really enjoy the HD650s until I upgraded the cable as well, so you're probably spending more than you want to for those.
The HD598 shouldn't have any issues with your current amp, but bass might be a little bit lacking for your tastes.

You haven't specified a budget either.

Edit: Also, you probably should've posted this in the recommendations thread - http://www.head-fi.org/t/529144/rec...new-thread-ask-for-advice-here-please-read-op

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM Post #3 of 19
If you liked the sound signature of the M50's, the A900X does everything about 10X better then the M50's.

Grado's of course are also renowned for rock music. 

I'm personally not a big Sennheiser fan, but the HD650 in my opinion is the best headphone between the 598,600, 650. Opinions are really split over the 598 on here, some people like them and some people don't, I personally thought they were decent with nice sound stage, but everything else mediocre. The 650 I felt did everything just a little bit better then the 600 for a similar price.

It's kind of strange to be looking for a more warm sound but favor rock music as rock generally doesn't come across as warm.

Jan 11, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 19
yeah i guess maybe rock was the wrong word. When I listen to metallica, rage against the machine, or any harder rock band I pretty much only use speakers but when I listen to music like nirvana, cranberries, i guess smoother music with more vocals then I like to use headphones.  Im not a basshead at all so bass impact isnt a big deal for and I really dont need an excessive amount of detail, half of my music is cd's but half is itunes downloads or youtube. I guess good mids and highs would be my priority, I like the m50 alot but I think I could probably do better in those categories. If I got the 650's would a e17 / e9 combo be enough to drive them? I feel like maybe even the q701 was being under amped with the e17 alone

Jan 11, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 19
BUMP  please I need more input!
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #6 of 19
I'm currently using the E09K with the E7 and yes that setup is more than OK to drive the HD650s, but the 650s they really do scale with a good AMP (tube) and DAC. If you want good mids the HD650 will be perfect as vocals are brilliant but the highs are rolled of slightly, it's a very warm and laid back sound which personally I love.

I haven't auditioned the 598 or the 600 for that matter, looking at reviews the 598 offers better soundstage and the 600 will have less mid bass. Although the imaging on the 650 is better than the 598.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #7 of 19
By the way, I just listened to your youtube links through spotify premium (320kbs). They all sound amazing, especially The Cranberries - Dreams, vocals sound very lifelike on the HD650.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 19
I know this is said often, but the 598 is a dream with female vocals, forward treble and mids. I love them. As for the hd600 and hd650, the hd600 is more neutral while thr 650 is bassy in comparison with less emphasis on upper mids and treble. Both are laid back and relaxed.

I feel that the hd598 will best suit you. Plus its easier to drive than the 600 and 650. They run fine out of an ipod without an amp.

Also, i highly recommend you put all your music to at least 320 mp3. With higher end headphones: bad quality in=bad quality out.

Jan 11, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:
yeah i guess maybe rock was the wrong word. When I listen to metallica, rage against the machine, or any harder rock band I pretty much only use speakers but when I listen to music like nirvana, cranberries, i guess smoother music with more vocals then I like to use headphones.  Im not a basshead at all so bass impact isnt a big deal for and I really dont need an excessive amount of detail, half of my music is cd's but half is itunes downloads or youtube. I guess good mids and highs would be my priority, I like the m50 alot but I think I could probably do better in those categories. If I got the 650's would a e17 / e9 combo be enough to drive them? I feel like maybe even the q701 was being under amped with the e17 alone

Heya,

I would put you on the following probably:

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880
Hifiman HE-400

Very best,

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 19
hey everybody thanks for the recommendations I think I'm actually gonna get the 650's just because right now I can get a really good deal on them. In addition I think ill probably buy a used Asgard. Does anybody know if I could the use the Asgard as an amp with the e17 functioning as the DAC? Would it not work because they both technically function as an amp?

Jan 12, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:
hey everybody thanks for the recommendations I think I'm actually gonna get the 650's just because right now I can get a really good deal on them. In addition I think ill probably buy a used Asgard. Does anybody know if I could the use the Asgard as an amp with the e17 functioning as the DAC? Would it not work because they both technically function as an amp?

Heya,

That will work fine and yes the E17 as a DAC alone works.

Very best,

Jan 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #15 of 19

Users who are viewing this thread

Back