HD650 uses HD580 drivers??
Sep 24, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #241 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drag0n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I translate that as, " Stop being a bunch of babies!

Yeah, I can go with that. Are you guys saying your phones don't sound like 650s? If they don't, send them back. If they do, stop whining, already.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #242 of 509
Hi!

I can say there's no brass ring on the magnet on my 2006 purchased HD-580. They have the new white metal damper, not the old black one. But in the Sennheiser shop, I demoed old pair of the 580's and they had black damper AND brass ring in them. Still, the differences in sound were minor, smoother sound on the older pair, thanks to the long broken-in time IMO. Still,no evidence of numbers on driver diaphragm on my new pair...
Moonwalker

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #243 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you've nothing helpful to add, don't pollute this thread. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdarnton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you guys saying your phones don't sound like 650s? If they don't, send them back. If they do, stop whining, already.

You fail to see. How exactly are people who have never had 650s or 580/600s to compare them too supposed to know what they sound like?

It may well be the 580s sounding great.

Please explain to me how complaining about a potential error is whining? Also it might be involve paying more.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #244 of 509
Supplementing my post above, here's an additional thought:

With the understanding that the HD580 was born BEFORE the HD600 and HD650, the part was assigned its unique part number as "hd580". Then new products are developed. In this case, the HD600 and HD650. These products have some new, unique parts which get new part numbers. A good design team will use as many existing parts as possible to maximize efficiency (translation: control cost). Therefore, any parts currently available from inventory also become part of a new bill of material. So, if a driver is labeled "hd580" but is now being used in the HD600/650 do you change the part number or just use it as is. In my company, you use it as is because to re-name it you need to change manufacturing requirements to reflect the new part number(s). If you do this, you now need to forecast and inventory three parts instead of one. Not very efficient.

This is a very plausible explanation except for one fact: The Senn rep says they use different drivers...

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #245 of 509
I've never known a company to use the same exact part number/name for a constituent component as they do for the finished assembly. Makes no sense from any rational perspective.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:43 PM Post #246 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never known a company to use the same exact part number/name for a constituent component as they do for the finished assembly. Makes no sense from any rational perspective.

Indeed it doesn't.

Maybe they stamped hd580 mistakenly on a hd650 driver. It wouldn't make sense to use hd580 drivers for the hd650, since everybody knows they are completely different, unless some productionline mistakenly used these drivers for the hd650.

As usual, no company will scream it off the roofs that they made a mistake.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #247 of 509
I think, even if it is a part common to the 3 headphones, which seems increasingly likely...

It is still undeniably slack for Sennheiser to keep an 'HD 580' label on a part destined for 650s.
Its not even only going to be seen by inquisitive Audiophiles, its in plain view for anyone who wishes to clean their earpads.

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #248 of 509
I have it from a reliable source that the next batch of HD650 drivers will read: "HE90, Hail Head-Fi!"

And why is it I have the feeling people will start to complain their HD650 sound like a plain old ordinary HD650....

Sep 24, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #249 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. But the markings don't get put on the part unless its specified on a drawing. Which brings us full circle: Why is it marked hd580? Furthermore, what's it doing in an HD650?

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:31 PM Post #250 of 509
I got curious about this issue about the drivers. I opened my HD 650 that is made in Ireland this morning. Much to my trepidation that I may find out that its drivers are stamped with "hd580" labels..... lo and behold.. It has none!!! yes.. just the driver and a red ring around the driver. I am sure relieved of this finding. Maybe some of those that has "hd580" markings on their drivers are fake or just bad copies...

Mine is perfectly good. I bought it august 2005.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #251 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by arion7273 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got curious about this issue about the drivers. I opened my HD 650 that is made in Ireland this morning. Much to my trepidation that I may find out that its drivers are stamped with "hd580" labels..... lo and behold.. It has none!!! yes.. just the driver and a red ring around the driver. I am sure relieved of this finding. Maybe some of those that has "hd580" markings on their drivers are fake or just bad copies...

Mine is perfectly good. I bought it august 2005.

It should, it's a new run. And ireland is the offical plant of senneheiser to make the hd650. Maybe the chinese version is a fake. I know that at least every european version is made in Ireland.

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:49 PM Post #252 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It should, it's a new run. And ireland is the offical plant of senneheiser to make the hd650. Maybe the chinese version is a fake. I know that at least every european version is made in Ireland.

Every HD650 is made in Ireland. My 10 month old HD650s, bought from a US online retailer, is made in Ireland. So if there's a Chinese version.....then chances are it's one of those knockoffs. But don't the Chinese knockoffs usually change the name or something? "Sin-Hizer"
icon10.gif

Sep 25, 2007 at 2:58 PM Post #253 of 509
Are the 2 black bars saying 'Made In Ireland' on all 650s? I just thought it was a generic piece.

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #254 of 509
So are these counterfit 650s that they're putting 580 drivers in to?

Sep 25, 2007 at 3:15 PM Post #255 of 509
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are these counterfit 650s that they're putting 580 drivers in to?

Who knows.....we don't even know if these drivers are actual HD580 drivers. But there's a whole lotta speculation and temper tantrums going on in this thread
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back