HD650 right side louder, or is it all in my head?
Jan 29, 2009 at 7:39 AM Post #33 of 57
maybe the tester is going deaf
wink.gif

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #34 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I´m now 99,99% sure that my HD650 are AGAIN flawed with imbalance. What is it with these Sennheiser headphones? Hopefully the HD800 won´t have these sort of problems.

I tested my friends HD600 and instantly heard, that they were perfectly balanced. It was like breath of fresh air.

I have to take the HD650 back to the shop...

Do you leave the headphones plugged into the equipment when you turn it on and off?

Switch-on (and switch-off) surge can damage headphones.

The HD 650 have aluminium ribbon voice-coils. This makes them light and responsive, but aluminium has a lower melting point than copper and a switching surge may partially melt the voice-coil.

It could be this is happening and your amp. has a higher surge on one channel than the other?? Just a thought.

It's always best to have headphones unplugged when switching on and off - or at least make sure the volume control is at minimum.

I hope this helps.

Jan 29, 2009 at 8:08 AM Post #35 of 57
To have repeated trouble with the same kit would indicate problem down the line; something is affecting the rhs driver and reducing the sensitivity. Might try swapping the cable r-l, so your now powering the right driver through the left amp channel, then use your sc to swap r-l also, so the stereo is correct, then see the the drivers remain the same loundess, or will the 'new' rhs driver become quieter !

Jan 29, 2009 at 10:41 AM Post #36 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To have repeated trouble with the same kit would indicate problem down the line; something is affecting the rhs driver and reducing the sensitivity. Might try swapping the cable r-l, so your now powering the right driver through the left amp channel, then use your sc to swap r-l also, so the stereo is correct, then see the the drivers remain the same loundess, or will the 'new' rhs driver become quieter !

Good suggestion

Jan 29, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #37 of 57
I have a Vincent KHV-111 that has two volume controls I use HD-600 with it and find that at first two nobs is kinda of a bother but I have had the amp now for several years and with the right tube in it and well broken in for Senns you wont get much better. What I have found out is it is suprising how many recordings are a little off or for what ever reason little hearing inbalance sometimes with the senns even your head being a little diffrent one ear higher then the other and you have the cups set at the same height. You might need to make one cup higher then the other.Most of the time I have one volume nob just the tinest bit more then the other this works for me kinda nice having a way to do this. Oh well just a thought might not work for everbody.

Jan 29, 2009 at 12:51 PM Post #38 of 57
I have a 5-10dB hearing imbalance (left ear is louder), though it sounds like this is hardware. Maybe the volume pot in your amp is imbalanced at the point where you drive hard-to-drive headphones but not lower down (where your PX100 would be driven from).

Jan 29, 2009 at 1:34 PM Post #39 of 57
I also notice sometimes that some of my albums have more of a focus on the right hand side of my headphones also.... But sifting through different bands and genres it changes a fair bit. I have an old old recording from the Beatles and it's so wierd because its mostly on the right channel. Wierd stuff
smily_headphones1.gif
I think alot of things come into play etc.

Jan 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #40 of 57
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/dt-...phasis-405197/
smily_headphones1.gif

Have the same problem.
I thought it's my unclean ear but really, static sound from one speaker at a time makes it very obvious. No matter if I turn them around or not, the right is louder. My girlfriend also, clueless about which side was the left phone, could easily tell the left speaker was making less noise.

Feb 28, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #41 of 57
I have the HD600 and the right side has this louder electrical bass you can sense and clearer vocal compared to the left side that doesn't have much of this kind of bass and the vocals less clear that I tested with the oxygen hd audio control panel with left and right headphone test. I see why, by removing the foams, I can see there is a slight cut on one of those thin soft fabric surrounding the right speaker. I see now why people are saying to use nylon stockings instead of the foams inside because the nylon stockings probably looks like the thin soft fabric used housing the speaker.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:02 PM Post #42 of 57
I had the same problem but switching the left/right HD650 cable connectors fixed it. In fact it's now slightly biased to the left a bit but still have better channel balance. Might be because of my left ear is damaged so the left bias is less noticeable.

Feb 28, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #43 of 57
Tilt your head to right while listening, this will cause sounds in the 80Khz and above to follow the natural slope of gravitational fields within your listening environment; thereby filling in the perceived discrepancy of channel imbalance.

Mar 1, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #45 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by riverlethe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you checked that the driver housing is in right? Sometimes it pops out if you drop the headphones.

x2, also try disconnecting and reconnecting the cables.
smily_headphones1.gif
The pads could also have soemthing to do with this. I personally haven't had any problems with my HD600's, but my understanding was most headphones favour the left channel slightly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back