HD650 right side louder, or is it all in my head?
Jan 27, 2009 at 8:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 57

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
Over a year ago I bought the HD650 and after few months I noticed, that the right side was louder. (This is very obvious when I turn the headphones the other way round on my head). The shop replaced the HD650 for me and at first I didn´t notice anything and kept on living...

But now I noticed this same exact thing, the right side is LOUDER again!
frown.gif

I´ve also noticed this same annoying thing with my HD600, that´s one of the reasons why I actually bought the HD650. What is it with these Sennheiser headphones? Do they just suck? Or am I just very very unlucky? Or is it just "all in my head"?

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 57
Hahah one of these thread's was just up recently
smily_headphones1.gif
Maybe you need to clean out your right ear... You can buy a few different kits to do this.

Jan 27, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 57
No no, my ears are fine, think about it. The right side is louder, when headphones are the correct way on my head, but If I turn the headphones the other way round the left side will be much louder.

Besides if my right ear was dirty, the left side would be louder (headphones correct way on my head), which it isn´t.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #4 of 57
Townyj is right. Every once in a while a thread pops up with a question about imbalance problems. And always it's the right side being louder. It just can't be that all those headphones have a flaw.
I'm not saying it's your ear. I actually don't know what it is.
Probably the way music is recorded, or the way music is perceived through headphones.........
Try to ignore it, that's the best advice I can give.

Jan 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 57
Quote:

It just can't be that all those headphones have a flaw.

Well they all don´t have it. My PX100 that I just bought, are just fine. My friend says his HD600 are fine.

My previous HD600 had this problem, new ones are ok I guess, maybe littlebit still right side louder.

My first HD650 had this bad and now the new ones also. It´s hard to ignore.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #7 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well they all don´t have it. My PX100 that I just bought, are just fine. My friend says his HD600 are fine.

My previous HD600 had this problem, new ones are ok I guess, maybe littlebit still right side louder.

My first HD650 had this bad and now the new ones also. It´s hard to ignore.
frown.gif

Try your friends HD600 with your gear....

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Townyj is right. Every once in a while a thread pops up with a question about imbalance problems. And always it's the right side being louder. It just can't be that all those headphones have a flaw.
I'm not saying it's your ear. I actually don't know what it is.
Probably the way music is recorded, or the way music is perceived through headphones.........
Try to ignore it, that's the best advice I can give.

hmm I am an extreme lefty left footed, left handed to the extreme... I always find the left ear cup to be louder
wink.gif
. I haven´t checked my hearing though so don´t know if I have better hearing on that lol

Jan 27, 2009 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 57
Well my setup is:

Mac Pro --->Fireface 800 --->with Vovox cables to ---> Presonus Central Station´s headphone amp ---> HD650

Is that good enough setup and especially the Presonus CS? Or would I need a separate headphone amp?

OR SHOULD I JUST TOSS THE HD650 OUT THE WINDOW AND BUY THE HD800???
o2smile.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:10 PM Post #10 of 57
I think it is all in your head. I had the same problem when i bought the shure se-210. All my recordings sounded "right-sided" However i found one that was the exact opposite, the Trivium Shogun album one (didn't like it, though /sidenote). I heard everything more pronounced on the left ear. It was quite strange, because that meant the headphones worked good. (I put those headphones almost every day)

That is when i decided maybe IEMs weren't for me, however i didn't want to sell them yet, as for night listening they were/are awesome. I bought comfy tips for them.

I bought on january the grado sr225s and I haven't experienced that (still sound perfectly matched)

With the grados i started listening to the music, and not to the headphones. When I went back to the shures, they sounded good again.

Well if you are gonna toss your hd650, tell me first, so I can catch them before the crush in the ground
biggrin.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #11 of 57
Connect the headphones the a source were you can switch the channels around (basicly any computer soundcard can do this). Think you can rule out the phones if the focus of the sound swings to the left without a loss of loudness.

Jan 27, 2009 at 3:37 PM Post #12 of 57
I know it has been mentioned that the cans were on right, but when I notice this I try moving the cup over the ear that is lower slightly (usually forward on my head) and it clears up... of course it could be anything, but for me a small adjustment to where the driver is "pointing" helps.

edited to add that I've noticed my senns are much more sensitive to this than my Beyers, FWIW.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #14 of 57
I feel the same sometimes. The sound is not exactly in the middle but let's say at 1 o'clock. I am clueless on what it is but try to ignore it.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #15 of 57
it could be your source/amp. BUT, ime, these things almost always turn out to be a by-product of the recording. it's just how some songs are recorded. it wasn't until i got a graphic channel visualizer (on foobar2000) that i realized this. you can see one side of a recording is louder (this happens more than you'd expect). look for "switches", ie. the left side being louder sometimes and the right side other times. if you notice this, it's most likely the recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back