HD650 right side louder, or is it all in my head?
Jan 27, 2009 at 5:48 PM Post #16 of 57
Happened on my AD900 last week and it was just something in driver, probably hair. Wiped it with cloth and blew some air and was fixed.

Jan 27, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #17 of 57
I should actually read before I post, thanks Nick.

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #18 of 57
^ He already did that.
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #19 of 57
After the upper comments I have read I believe that your headphones work fine, your head doesn't work too good, as you focus on listening to your headphones more than your music (if you listen to your music, when you enjoy it, you forget about those things)

And finally that studios could do better with the positioning of the microphones. Some albums I have sound a bit "right sided", with the only exception Trivium, Shogun, that is quite "left-sided"

If you want to try it, just listen to one song of the album Shogun, and you will see they sound left-sided (if we can apply that term there)

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:39 PM Post #20 of 57
had same problem with my previous amp. - tubes weren't matched properly - same can aply to any amp. - somethimes pot. is to blame as well

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #21 of 57
Well some people (including me) are very sensitive for inbalance between left and right, and its a pain in the ass! I can't stand headphones with 2 volume controls, I just keep adjusting the left and right volume's..

Jan 28, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #23 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got ATH-M50 and they are balanced. I´m listening the same tracks as with the HD650.

So what do you guy say about that?

I guess maybe Zorander is right. ATH-50 are also low impedence headphones

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #24 of 57
Perhaps.

It´s the same thing when listening with iPhone 3G.

Anyways, what would be the correct way to use the HD650 headphones then?

What headphone amp should I buy into my setup?

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:10 AM Post #25 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Over a year ago I bought the HD650 and after few months I noticed, that the right side was louder. (This is very obvious when I turn the headphones the other way round on my head). The shop replaced the HD650 for me and at first I didn´t notice anything and kept on living...

But now I noticed this same exact thing, the right side is LOUDER again!
frown.gif

I´ve also noticed this same annoying thing with my HD600, that´s one of the reasons why I actually bought the HD650. What is it with these Sennheiser headphones? Do they just suck? Or am I just very very unlucky? Or is it just "all in my head"?

I suggest you do the following:

1. Double check your ears. Buy one of those cleaning kits for ears.

2. Check the connections on your amp and source. Make sure they are completely plugged in. Make sure the correct wires are plugged into the appropriate plugs.

3. Check the headphone input on your amp.

4. Use one of those stereo test recordings found on the internet to see if the balance is correct. It may be that your "pan" knob is slightly off center.

5. Listen to a monaural recording. Does this recording sound as though it is evenly balanced and for the most part, in the center of your head?

6. Try a different pair of headphones. When doing this is the result the same?

7. Try a different amp. Is the result the same?

8. If your answer is "yes" to the second question in each of questions 6 and 7, I suggest seeing an "Ear doctor".

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:15 AM Post #26 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotr z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had same problem with my previous amp. - tubes weren't matched properly - same can aply to any amp. - somethimes pot. is to blame as well

Yes, I agree. Pot can cause things to sound terribly out of balance.
wink_face.gif

Jan 28, 2009 at 9:47 AM Post #27 of 57
Instead of turning the headphones around, just switch the cable connection on the headphones. That way you can switch the channels without changing the way you wear the headphones. I would also listen to a mono source. Just hook the headphones up to a computer and use a mp3 player set to mono instead of stereo. I would try listening to them directly from the source and then with the amp. I had to send my HD650's in on warranty because of the imbalance but I have not noticed anything with my new pair (which I have had for years). Another thing to do would be to clean the headphone jack. I think on my Cardas cable, a little bit of corrosion or something builds up on the jack after a while and I need to wipe it clean to make sure I have a good clean contact.

Last thing would be to have an independent party verify the imbalance but if it is there I would just send them in again, hopefully under warranty.

Jan 29, 2009 at 4:46 AM Post #29 of 57
My left ear is slightly damaged I believe. I hear more out of my right ear than my left. I've had it for the past year.

Maybe I should buy some earwax candles and clean my ears? I haven't done that in ages..

Jan 29, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #30 of 57
Well I´m now 99,99% sure that my HD650 are AGAIN flawed with imbalance. What is it with these Sennheiser headphones? Hopefully the HD800 won´t have these sort of problems.

I tested my friends HD600 and instantly heard, that they were perfectly balanced. It was like breath of fresh air.

I have to take the HD650 back to the shop...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back