hd650 or hd800
Sep 4, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #76 of 279
I have discovered the Sennhesier veil on the HD650 but it actually helps with digital recordings.  When I listen to Pink Floyd with my Sennheisers HD555 I hear the phone ringing due to quantisation errors. The HD650 corrrects the problem with treble in the digital realm.  I am planning on upgrading the amp as the Fubar III just doesnt cut it.

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #77 of 279

Quote:
I have discovered the Sennhesier veil on the HD650 but it actually helps with digital recordings.  When I listen to Pink Floyd with my Sennheisers HD555 I hear the phone ringing due to quantisation errors. The HD650 corrrects the problem with treble in the digital realm.  I am planning on upgrading the amp as the Fubar III just doesnt cut it.

A veil corrects issues with your source/amp? Perhaps we can label the 650 forgiving then?

I'm confused what you mean by this. I can tell when my cell phone is transferring data in our around an area by my amp so I keep it far away... what exactly do you mean by this?

Sep 5, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #78 of 279
Nice thread on two great cans.  I have both, as well as the HD600's.  All are fabulous cans IMO.

At home I listened to the HD800's exclusively for the last 3 or so months.  What a wonderful pair of cans!

A few days back I resurrected my HD650's and boxed away the HD800's for a rest.  For those who may think it's important, I use them with a Silver Dragon cable. 
wink.gif
  Anyway, the main problem I had transitioning from the HD800's to the HD650's was the bass.  The HD800's bass reproduction is so much better.  It's effortless, full and extended.  With the HD650's, I was very conscious of the shortcomings in bass reproduction (less depth and space leading to a sort artificiality), but after a few hours this became less distracting and I could easily think the bass to be truly fine without having spent a lot of time with the HD800's.  The HD650 is the 'darker' sounding of the two, but the word 'darker' tends to come with a negative connotation and this is not what I intend.  They sound different in some ways, but very similar in some ways.

The point here is that I have no particular desire to go back to the HD800's at this time because I am very much enjoying the HD650 sound.  I'll work with them for a while and then give the Ed8's their head time.

I'm having great fun switching between these three.  Their differences are much appreciated since none are perfect and they each have their strengths.

The HD800's for me are strong in all areas and they're my hands down favourites.  They're the ones I'd not wish to part with among the three.  They're the only cans I've had that continue to amaze me even after an extended period of listening.  Their spaciousness and ambiance are also grand traits of these cans.

Second comes the Ed8's, for their very interesting balance. The bass is so well represented with these cans and remarkably, without affecting the mids and highs as one would expect.  They're also very clear and detailed.  Their weakness for me goes with spaciousness of sound (not enough there).  They're intimate because of their closed nature and the closeness of the drivers.  Unfortunately, not all the time, such intimacy is what I'm looking for.

A close third comes the HD650's and for so much less in price.  An incredible bang for the buck.  A wonderful purchase IMO.

My HD600's are at work, taking away all listening time from my Grados.  This one is special too and I keep changing my mind on whether or not I prefer them to the HD650's.

BTW, my K702's are collecting dust.  I haven't given them a listen in over 6 months and feel no desire whatever to do so.  The last time I listened was some time after getting the HD800's.  It was then that some annoying flaws, especially in bass reproduction reared their head.  Though the K702's are great cans, the HD800's eclipse and nullified their usefulness for me.

I guess you could call me a Senn fan? 
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #79 of 279

Quote:
Nice thread on two great cans.  I have both, as well as the HD600's.  All are fabulous cans IMO.

At home I listened to the HD800's exclusively for the last 3 or so months.  What a wonderful pair of cans!

A few days back I resurrected my HD650's and boxed away the HD800's for a rest.  For those who may think it's important, I use them with a Silver Dragon cable. 
wink.gif
  Anyway, the main problem I had transitioning from the HD800's to the HD650's was the bass.  The HD800's bass reproduction is so much better.  It's effortless, full and extended.  With the HD650's, I was very conscious of the shortcomings in bass reproduction (less depth and space leading to a sort artificiality), but after a few hours this became less distracting and I could easily think the bass to be truly fine without having spent a lot of time with the HD800's.  The HD650 is the 'darker' sounding of the two, but the word 'darker' tends to come with a negative connotation and this is not what I intend.  They sound different in some ways, but very similar in some ways.

The point here is that I have no particular desire to go back to the HD800's at this time because I am very much enjoying the HD650 sound.  I'll work with them for a while and then give the Ed8's their head time.

I'm having great fun switching between these three.  Their differences are much appreciated since none are perfect and they each have their strengths.

The HD800's for me are strong in all areas and they're my hands down favourites.  They're the ones I'd not wish to part with among the three.  They're the only cans I've had that continue to amaze me even after an extended period of listening.  Their spaciousness and ambiance are also grand traits of these cans.

Second comes the Ed8's, for their very interesting balance. The bass is so well represented with these cans and remarkably, without affecting the mids and highs as one would expect.  They're also very clear and detailed.  Their weakness for me goes with spaciousness of sound (not enough there).  They're intimate because of their closed nature and the closeness of the drivers.  Unfortunately, not all the time, such intimacy is what I'm looking for.

A close third comes the HD650's and for so much less in price.  An incredible bang for the buck.  A wonderful purchase IMO.

My HD600's are at work, taking away all listening time from my Grados.  This one is special too and I keep changing my mind on whether or not I prefer them to the HD650's.

BTW, my K702's are collecting dust.  I haven't given them a listen in over 6 months and feel no desire whatever to do so.  The last time I listened was some time after getting the HD800's.  It was then that some annoying flaws, especially in bass reproduction reared their head.  Though the K702's are great cans, the HD800's eclipse and nullified their usefulness for me.

I guess you could call me a Senn fan? 
cool.gif

Great write up Aimlink and I do agree with you on all of your major points! I preferred a friends HD600s to my (now sold) HD650s, but agree that while they are both great cans, they (including the K701s) have been surpassed in pretty much every way by the HD800s. And I'm in no way going to call you a Sennheiser fanboy.
smile.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #80 of 279
the hd800 are the coolest headphones i have ever seen.  i still can't justify paying 1400 for them.  im sure they sound good but how "good" do you need everything to sound.  i am more than happy with my hd-555 with my soundstage mod.  i wish the hd-555 looked like the hd800 with the same price tag.

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #81 of 279

Quote:
the hd800 are the coolest headphones i have ever seen.  i still can't justify paying 1400 for them.  im sure they sound good but how "good" do you need everything to sound.  i am more than happy with my hd-555 with my soundstage mod.  i wish the hd-555 looked like the hd800 with the same price tag.

A couple years back, buying the HD650 was a serious venture into the exorbitant.  Back then, a $100 can was expensive. 
evil_smiley.gif

Right now, I realize that I simply didn't have the experience, hence my sig. 
wink.gif
  We spend a lot more on other things.  It's just a matter of sensitization vs desensitization. 

Sep 6, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #82 of 279

Quote:

You want the 555 to cost $1400? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #87 of 279
i wish someone would help me rewire my hd555 on this forum.

Just go with the HD650 with some custom cables and be done with it.

L3000.gif

Sep 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #88 of 279
I tried the HD 800 several times, with a BCL and a Lake People amp (don't remember which one).
The best description I can give is that they put me into a large room that sounds as if its walls are covered with thick black velvet. Besides other performances, I listened to Arias sung by Anna Netrebko. It was amazing, because within this dark room, somewhere, two or three meters into the direction of 2 o' clock, she seemed to sing, while a violin played a few steps left from her. A real Wow effect.

When I compared to my HD 650, indeed, in the first moment the HD 650 sounded much darker, with less clarity and a soundstage not nearly as wide as the HD 800s. But!!! With the HD 650 I feel much closer to the music. I also have a pair of Grado RS1. They too have this slightly enhanced brightness - like the HD 800 (look at the frequency response: the HD 650 is dead linear up to 11.000 Hz, the RS1 and the HD800 are enhanced!). The RS1, like the HD650, make me feel, as if I had my ear near the strings or as if I were sitting right in front of the orchestra. No way to achieve this with the HD 800. The HD800 opens this huge soundstage and moves the music away from the listener.

I like the feeling of being right were the music is made. That is one of the reasons I use headphones. And although I think the HD800 is a really great instrument, currently I prefer others. Mainly the HD 650.  

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #89 of 279

Quote:
When I compared to my HD 650, indeed, in the first moment the HD 650 sounded much darker, with less clarity and a soundstage not nearly as wide as the HD 800s. But!!! With the HD 650 I feel much closer to the music. I also have a pair of Grado RS1. They too have this slightly enhanced brightness - like the HD 800 (look at the frequency response: the HD 650 is dead linear up to 19.000 Hz, the RS1 and the HD800 are enhanced!). The RS1, like the HD650, make me feel, as if I had my ear near the strings or as if I were sitting right in front of the orchestra. No way to achieve this with the HD 800. The HD800 opens this huge soundstage and moves the music away from the listener.

I like the feeling of being right were the music is made. That is one of the reasons I use headphones. And although I think the HD800 is a really great instrument, currently I prefer others. Mainly the HD 650.  

This is a very good description of what I feel is the main difference in presentation between the HD800 and HD650. The HD800 always sounds more distant than the HD650, regardless of the recording. This produces a wonderful soundstage, but sometimes one prefers the closeness to the music achieved by the HD650.

Sep 7, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #90 of 279
This produces a wonderful soundstage, but sometimes one prefers the closeness to the music achieved by the HD650.

I listen to HD650's using the ASUS, STX DSP.  I find what setting is used depends on the recorded material.  Sometimes I use the reference or small room setting and sometimes the recording needs the large venue setting to open the voice or the instruments up.  Don't know what that means other than I go with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back