HD650 HD650 HD650!
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:40 AM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by Connectz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love my HD650's too. Now wait until you burn them in and decide to take the "veil" (foam pad) out and listen too them that way. All I can say too that is WOW!!! They open up quite a bit!

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=179122

xp797o.jpg

pick one song, a song you know very well, listen with the pads off then with the pads on, concentrate on the soundstage and the mids, you will put the pads back. I thought that was the cure for the so called VEIL but i realized it did all sorts of funky things to the soundstage and there was definatley some waves bouncing aroundin there, which the foam helps pevent.

If you are going to mod the foam i suggest cutting out a hole right in the cnte but leaing the rest of the foam in. This way you get a little more high end and the damping effect of the foam - its there for a reason.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #32 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by OceanEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
uh yeah, right....

biggrin.gif

Getting engaged in a few months and married the next year. So my head-fi journey will be delayed for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

I can pretend to be done though :p

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #33 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pick one song, a song you know very well, listen with the pads off then with the pads on, concentrate on the soundstage and the mids, you will put the pads back.

I totally agree. I experimented extensively, taking the pads on and off, and came to the same conclusion. For me there's something 'missing' with the pads off, that just becomes 'right' again with them on.

IMHO if you want a brighter, less 'veiled' sound, work on the signal path, not the pads... of course YMMV.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #34 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by schapman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting engaged in a few months and married the next year. So my head-fi journey will be delayed for a while
smily_headphones1.gif

I can pretend to be done though :p

i understand. i got engaged last summer, wedding next summer. she's very appreciative of me and gives me space for my interests, but i'm imagining that the new budget will be focused on buying a home instead of more toys for me.

oh well, it was good while it lasted.
blink.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:50 AM Post #35 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by vai-777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought that was the cure for the so called VEIL but i realized it did all sorts of funky things to the soundstage and there was definatley some waves bouncing aroundin there, which the foam helps pevent.

this is one complaint i have about headphones in general, and senns in particular. the cups do tend to chamber sound a little bit, and not in a good way.

Jul 30, 2010 at 8:16 PM Post #37 of 71
Let me just say that I've been married 5 years and have been living in a new house for just over 2 years, and you can definitely still indulge in this hobby. In fact I started down the path just last year.

Sep 3, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #39 of 71
Hi , i dont wanna steal a thread , but just want one advice from you , for me hd650 dont have any soundstage , i have emu 1212m and cheap sony headphone amp with hd650 , emu is great with my pathos classic one mk III and kef 205 with great soundstage , but with hd650 and sony amp i like everything except there is no soundstage  , all sound are coming 10 cm around my head
or from inside head , i really like how they sound so there must be something maybe new cable or amp to wide up the soundstage , thank you. 

Sep 3, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #40 of 71
Depends what you mean by no soundstage. This is a headphone, after all, so it's never going to sound like speakers. But if you mean you're not able to place the instruments in space because of a lack of "air" or something like that...well, you'll have to be more specific.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #41 of 71
Thanks for replay pp312 , i can place all the instruments in space , but that space is very small space around my head , i can her vocal on top of my nose , and guitar just on the back of my ear , and some piano just behind me , near my neck , or sometimes in the middle of my head ....etc , but sometimes i really miss placing the band 3-4 or even 15 meters from me , i really like sound signature of hd650 and i will invest in better amp and a cable if there is an amp that will make wider soundstage.
Any advice on amp or cable ?

Thank You

Sep 4, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #42 of 71
Sorry to be unhelpful, but what you're describing sounds like the typical headphone hater's objection to headphones, that they don't place an orchestra in front of them like speakers do, and no amp will change that. A different headphone, one where the driver is further from ear, might, but it would probably be less satisfactory in other ways and lack the sweetness and natural tone of the 650. Frankly, if you like the 650's sound otherwise, I would suck it up, because I think it's something you will get used to in time. As for amp choice, I don't believe in dedicated HP amps so I'd be the last one to ask about that. In your position I'd be seeking out a good used integrated stereo amp on Ebay, preferably a Rotel or Cambridge Audio as they suit the 650's sound signature.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:15 AM Post #43 of 71
No im not hater , i never hate objects except for pc sometimes - profesional deformation 
bigsmile_face.gif
, just want to get best out of 650 , probably im too used to speaker sound b/c im switching every day from speakers to headphones around 8-9 pm and only thing that was different is soundstage , so i was thinking that i have bad amp , or need to change cables or something , nevermind  
Yeah i had rotel ra-01 with q4 it has great midrange and upper midrange i liked guitars and vocals on that setup but i sold it 4 years ago and i never used its hp out so i dont know how it sounds , i can find it used now for about 200$ http://www.njuskalo.hr/hi-fi-komponente/rotel-ra-01-oglas-1621686 here in my country , can you reccomend it ? 

Sep 5, 2010 at 8:31 AM Post #44 of 71
Well, I've never heard it, but Rotel amps have a reputation for being lean and mean--exactly the kind of balance to match well with the 650. Also, both Rotel and Cambridge amps have tone controls that only affect the frequency extremes and are excellent for boosting the 650 extreme treble without interfering with other frequencies. All in all, sounds like a match made in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back