HD650/HD600 Stock or After Market Cable?
Mar 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #16 of 126
I personnaly dont see how an after market cable outperforms a stock one. I could see that thicker insulation might remove inference that gets picked up. Its ludicrous to spend $200+ on an aftermarket cable when the stock HD650 cable is $13. I dont see how they justify the price.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 18, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #18 of 126
countdown to thread lockdown begins.

Mar 18, 2009 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by spunkmeyer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the way my 650s sound with the RAL cryo-silver cables. Too bad you can't get them anymore. One of the best purchases I ever made.

Here! Here! One of the best--if not THE best--after market cable(s) I've ever heard: RAL Paradise cryo-Silver for HD650, K701 and Proline 750/2500. Although I really do like the UP-OCC solid silver recable on my K501, too (I bought the cable/termination and Zach at Enigma Audio built it for me)! : )

Mar 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 126
I have a Cardas cable on my HD650 and an HD650 cable on my HD580. Truth be told, I don't think either upgrade makes a huge difference (if any).
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #23 of 126
I mainly use the Cardas cable on my HD600s, although I will switch back to the stock cable for the rare recordings on which it sounds better. The difference in sound with the cables is not subtle at all to my ears, but immediately noticeable: the stock cable really seems to emphasize the highs and lows, leaving the midrange recessed (hence the Sennheiser "veil"), whereas the Cardas cable seems to fill out the midrange (especially lower midrange) at the expense of the outer edges of the frequency spectrum. Since I also have Grados, I find that recordings that sound harsh on the Grados will often sound rich and full on HD600/Cardas (and vice-versa with recordings that sound dull on the latter). There are certain rare cases, though, of recordings that will sound overly bright and harsh even on the HD600/Cardas, and with those the HD600 stock cord will often sound best (these are usually very old CDs made in the early '80s). If one had a very midrange-heavy system, I can imagine the stock cord sounding better more often, but in mine it is too "veiled" most of the time.

Mar 18, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #24 of 126
Ill know soon enough, ordered a fellow head-fiers pair of Double Helix cable. I expect Ill like it.

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #25 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personnaly dont see how an after market cable outperforms a stock one. I could see that thicker insulation might remove inference that gets picked up. Its ludicrous to spend $200+ on an aftermarket cable when the stock HD650 cable is $13. I dont see how they justify the price.

Until you've heard one, you'll probably keep thinking that. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the problem IS the $13 cable? I'm not saying its a bad one, but its not great either.
Part of the issue is not only the sound signature of the cable, but also the overall quality of it. Most aftermarket cables are LEAGUES better in fit and appearance.

I used the stock 650 cable for a couple weeks, ordered an Enigma Oracle, you can check out my review, absolutely love it.
Its worlds better in bass and high end. Downside is its slightly stiff an slightly microphonic in some places.

I wasn't a true believer in them, as evidenced by my review, but after 2 weeks of use I can say that there IS a difference.

Mar 18, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #26 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by csommers /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unless you've heard one...you're just spouting thoughts. Did it ever occur to you that maybe the problem IS the $13 cable? I'm not saying its a bad one, but its not great either.
Part of the issue is not only the sound signature of the cable, but also the overall quality of it. Most aftermarket cables are LEAGUES better in fit and appearance.

I used the stock 650 cable for a couple weeks, ordered an Enigma Oracle, you can check out my review, absolutely love it.
Its worlds better in bass and high end. Downside is its slightly stiff an slightly microphonic in some places.

I wasn't a true believer in them, as evidenced by my review, but after 2 weeks of use I can say that there IS a difference.

I'm just skeptical from a scientific standpoint. I'm just not sure how one cable transmits a signal so much better than another, when both are made of the same components. I dont see why they are so costly, $50-$60 would seem a decent price. Does anyone know why aftermarket cables cost as much or more than the headphone itself?

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 18, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #28 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just skeptical from a scientific standpoint. I'm just not sure how one cable transmits a signal so much better than another, when both are made of the same components. I dont see why they are so costly, $50-$60 would seem a decent price. Does anyone know why aftermarket cables cost as much or more than the headphone itself?

See thats the thing though, the components are VERY different. Furutech plugs are roughly $40, add in techflex or some other material, you're looking at close to $70, not to mention the cables themselves.
The only thing similar on my upgraded cable vs the stock is the connectors that snap into the 650. Otherwise its a whole different beast.

I agree they are costly, and they shouldn't be even considered until you have everything else in place, but if you are looking for all the performance you can get, then they are a good way to go. They aren't $15 headphones > $300 headphones different, but there is a noticeable difference IMHO. Whether that improvement is worth it is up to you.

I reckon its similar to owning something like an Audi S4, which already has performance, but you have the ability to make it even better by upgrading the turbo etc. Is that performance boost worth it to you?

Most come with 15-30 day guarantees, so if you are skeptical give them a try. Or check them out at a meet/pick up a used one. By no means do you have to spend $200+, many can be had for $120 used.

Mar 18, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #30 of 126
HD 580's with stock HD 580 cable (have an HD 650 cable as well (bought it because it looked more durable), hear zero difference, prefer less weight hanging off my head (and since these don't get moved much anymore, don't worry about the cable getting torn up, hence, can use the lighter cable)

figured I could still vote though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back