HD650/HD600 Stock or After Market Cable?
Mar 19, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #61 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so as an EE your officially making guesses? I really feel sorry for you mate, as most any EE I've met would tell you you're wrong here (there is no measurable difference, except at the Mhz level, with tenths of dBs, sorry, your ears aren't that good
wink.gif
)

pabbi1:
sennheiser sees that users will spend the money on an aftermarket cable, so why not market to it? its just wise marketing

when the HD 580 or HD 565 was "new", the whole headphone hi-fi hobby was relatively non-existant, and users were more or less content with the hp's themselves, I don't think its accurate to say its a "legitimate problem" just because some manufacturers are smart enough to turn a few bucks off of it (in other words, should we all be buying name brand ingredients for cooking, purely because "its a real problem, if someone makes something higher end"??)

I don't honestly believe Senn even considered aftermarket cables in designing the HD 565 or 580, they considered easily replacable cables for professional users, just like the K702 has, or various pro-line Ultrasones, so because those are removable, they're also a legitimate problem? and a sign of manufacturer incompetence? interesting.

I have to agree, the few EE friends I got would disagree with you. In fact you are the first person with electrical engineering background I have ever heard of or read that made a statement like this.

Anyways, lets keep this to a few lines which you use and why. The debate over whether cables already being hammered in the Cable forums and well the past 30 years, so called audiophiles/golden ears vs everybody else.

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #62 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have to agree, the few EE friends I got would disagree with you. In fact you are the first person with electrical engineering background I have ever heard of or read that made a statement like this.

Anyways, lets keep this to a few lines which you use and why. The debate over whether cables already being hammered in the Cable forums and well the past 30 years, so called audiophiles/golden ears vs everybody else.

are you saying the EE's disagree with me? or disagree with the other guy?

confused.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #63 of 126
Quote:

not trying to flame, just making an observation, based on this post:

why does it seem various cable manufacturers (like various tweak manufacturers) seem to have the highest rate of consumer inconfidence, and do the shadiest business?

Part of the perceived shadyness probably comes from the nature of the beast, as "improvements" are pretty subjective, and sometimes hard to measure. So what one person thinks is a HUGE improvement, another might think is a rip-off scam.

As for the links you posted: I guess my ears are faulty because I can clearly hear a difference between stock and upgraded cables, some are better/some are worse.
I don't claim to understand all of the electro-mumbojumbo, I'm kind of on the fence regarding the issue. At first I thought there was no possible way, at least for the prices being charged, that there could be an improvement. But after listening to quite a few cables, IMHO there is a noticeable(sometimes slight, sometimes very apparent) difference in sound between cables.

Quote:

are you saying the EE's disagree with me? or disagree with the other guy?

confused.gif

I think he was agreeing with you

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #64 of 126
Quote:

. . . . so called audiophiles/golden ears vs everybody else.

Nice characterization. That's fair.
rolleyes.gif

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #65 of 126
Well as far as the EE bit. Im about to graduate (and passed the FE, YAA BABY!) and I know that it doesnt require MHz frequencies for skin effect to come into play. It comes into play even at the power transmission (US) frequencies which is 60Hz. They take the skin effect into account when it comes to the type of transmission lines they use.

Furthermore, Im currently working on my senior project that uses Eddy currents and we have to take into account the skin effect with a maximum planned frequency of 2100Hz. Both of those are square within the human hearing.

I would personally attribute the difference two two factors: skin effect and capacitance. The skin effect will involve all aspects of the material and chemical construction of the material (one of the reasons I do poooooosibly believe in the whole cryogenic cable that some companies tout as that might alter the crystalline structure of the cable material, though Im no chemist so I am uncertain). Inductance from wound cable will likely be pretty scant simply because of the nature of inductance, but capacitance is much more likely. The nature of the cable sheathing and the amount (if any) of shielding will have a pretty major impact on this.

While Im an EE, and perhaps by default a man of science, I still acknowledge the amazing ability of the human ear (let alone golden ear), especially when it comes to differentiating pitch, which is likely the realm where such differences of cable would have the most effect (as opposed to amplitude and phase). Actually, now that I think about it, phase might just be part of the reason why people are able to hear the difference in cable. Phase delay or advance would make a huge difference in the nature of the output sound. If the current lags the voltage, the total power output that actually reaches the inductance of the headphone magnet will not be properly synced with the currents max.

Youll forgive me if this doesnt make a lot of sense or anything, Ive had a decent bit of wine so I miiiiight be a little tipsy XD

Mar 19, 2009 at 4:36 AM Post #66 of 126
I think the big upgrade lies in any cable that provides properly insulated (teflon, etc) conductors and conductors of a decent gauge and purity, as the stock ones are similar on a $30 headphone as they are on a $350 headphone - having taken apart my iGrados and my DT770s and recabled those. The HD650 conductors have the signal wire insulated with a small amount of enamel or something covering the strands, then the signal wire and the return wire for each channel are twisted together without being independently insulated.

A cynic would say that Sennheiser wants people to have to spend on aftermarket cables so they make the stock one crap. Not sure what's in it for them with that argument, unless there's some sort of conspiracy.

Rewiring DT770s made them stop hurting my ears and sound pleasant and refined. So I believe in it. It doesn't make sense that recabling would have no effect.

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #67 of 126
Arguments aside, I have always preferred the aftermarket cables with my senns... but within reason. I striaght up refuse to pay more than $130 for a senn cable; so I buy them used. I still do understand this is considerably more than the cost of the parts involved but we're talking a rediculous hobby here.

The hd600 stock cable is definitely inadequate.

Mar 19, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #68 of 126
I have a strange feeling that if the stock hd580/600 cable was a little more thicker and stiffer (and not a wet noodle it is now), that folks wouldn't be so harsh on it. Just a thought.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #69 of 126
I haven't felt a need to replace the HD650 cable.

The only cables I've ever wanted to replace were the DT250 series cable, as in my old office I would have preferred a straight uncoiled cable (but its fine now) and the HD25-1 (not for sonics, the stiff steel cable was just annoying).

I haven't really tried other cables, but I experimented with (someone else's) boutique interconnects in the musical instrument world and was always unimpressed - long as the cable was well-made and had no weak connections or bad sheilding it worked fine.

I'd sooner put that money into amplification or music, imho.

Mar 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #70 of 126
You know what, when using my tube dac the hd600 stock cables are actually better sounding to me than the equinox
biggrin.gif
For my solid state el cheapo cd player, equinox is better. The mids get a little too rich with western electrics plus the equinox

Mar 19, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #71 of 126
Quote:

Even among the EEs, very few ever spent much time looking at "signal integrity" in detail. I would venture to say 90+% of the EEs doesn't really understand what "signal integrity" really means, other than paying some lip service. I don't understand it all either, but I have worked on it for about 2 years. I've been totally amazed at the number of people who design by trial-and-error, until a catastrophic failure occurs. (it served me well in college... let's leave it at that)

If you ask "most EEs" what is the speed of signal transmission in a coaxial cable and speed of a PCB trace, most wouldn't know or care. The "theory" says electrical signals travel through wire at speed of light. The practical number for coax is approximately 3/4 speed of light, PCB trace only about 1/2 speed of light. This is not the appropriate place to talk about why, just giving you some example as to "reality" vs. "theory".

Another example - In theory, them voltage regulators in your iPods etc should provide a good amount of filtering of noise from external power supply. (Same can be said about your home receiver) But I can easily hear ground-noise when listening to music with the ipod plugged into the wall. Lastly, there's that apple power supply issue I mentioned in an earlier post.

When I first graduated college, I was completely skeptical of all these wiring claims too... I STILL think speaker bi-wire is a myth. As I learned more about impedance matching, insertion loss, return loss, and all that jazz, I've realized how far reality is from theory. Today, until I've seen spectrum analyzer sweep of some setup under various noise injection and cable configuration conditions, I will remain open-minded.

dBs - thanks for the info =) I definitely don't know enough about this topic nor pretend to, just know a little more than "most EEs" =P haha... (dude, when I was interviewing people, I was totally amazed at how clueless 80% of the interviewees were...)

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #73 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by evangellydonut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well... here's my take as an electrical engineer -

Copper is known as one of the best conductors (silver and gold are better iirc), and the more pure the copper, the better the SQ will be. Imperfection results in higher resistance, which results in higher heat dissipation, which results in higher signal loss, which results in loss of audio quality. How all of this relates to individual frequency is hard to say.

Proper shielding is important too, as any output from your amplifier is analog, and analog signals are susceptible to noise. However, I'm skeptical of the twisted-pair thing, which has obvious advantages when you are using it for digital data transmission or feeding into a differential amplifier, but headphones doesn't have a diff-amp as far as i know.

I guess cable size variation helps too... So current travels down copper wire because there's a high enough potential to break an electron free from the first copper atom; the free electron gets passed to the the next copper atom, and repeat. For now, let's forget the fact that electrons are negative in charge, so electrons move from headphone to amp direction... just concentrate on current flow. So next, imagine a giant copper cable vs. a tiny one that is only 1 atom thick, when you send a signal through the giant one, there are loads more ways for the signal to get to the other end where as the tiny one, there's only 1 path. The big cable will results in longer time before signal gets to the end due to all the creative path electrons can take. At the same time, it can send more signals through.

So in short, cables definitely make a difference. However, how much difference it makes, and does it justify the $100-400 that it costs, is subjective.

Thats largely what I thought, which is why I was skeptical about aftermarket cables. Some of them seem just as thin as stock cables only they have more shielding. Which aftermarket cables have the thickest wire in them?

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Mar 19, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #74 of 126
Quote:

Step 1, Read:
Matrix-Hifi: Red Zone --> The "truth" about different speakers cables

Thanks for the link =)

a few thoughts that comes to mind -
1. These tests are done in "lab conditions", where they are talking about speaker wires that are presumed to be straight. When you have long headphone wires you don't know what to do and gets all tangled up and coiled, what happens?

2. When you inject other noise components, what happens? I have seen techniques used to filter and subsequently amplify signals that are several harmonics above and below signal of interest.

3. figure 8 clearly shows that there's a phase difference, due to delay in the cable among other things. I do not see the person doing a spectrum sweep across the entire audible spectrum comparing phase difference between 2 cables. (i suspect that it won't be any different, but i have no proof of it)

4. when doing very sensitive measurements, we were taught (and witnessed in lab) that the scope/spectrum analyzer's probe's quality makes a huge difference. There's no mention of understanding of this issue. Those 50 Ohm probes will get rid of a lot of details.

The article makes some good and valid points, but it's not something that can pass careful scrutiny. The way headroom perform their measurements, using a synthetic-ear of sort, is pretty good, since it takes a lot of unknowns out of the equation and only limited by the fidelity of the measurement equipment, which can be thought of as a "differential amplifier" when comparing 2 cables. I'm not arguing that cables make definitive differences, just that I haven't seen enough evidence either way to be convinced. I'm pretty sure there's a good reason why cable manufactures doesn't bother to publish charts while making wild claims, because it'd probably show virtually no difference. But in the end, it's the combination of the user, the placebo effect, possibly the cable, and other factors that swing people one way or another.

Mar 19, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #75 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by evangellydonut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link =)

a few thoughts that comes to mind -
1. These tests are done in "lab conditions", where they are talking about speaker wires that are presumed to be straight. When you have long headphone wires you don't know what to do and gets all tangled up and coiled, what happens?

2. When you inject other noise components, what happens? I have seen techniques used to filter and subsequently amplify signals that are several harmonics above and below signal of interest.

3. figure 8 clearly shows that there's a phase difference, due to delay in the cable among other things. I do not see the person doing a spectrum sweep across the entire audible spectrum comparing phase difference between 2 cables. (i suspect that it won't be any different, but i have no proof of it)

4. when doing very sensitive measurements, we were taught (and witnessed in lab) that the scope/spectrum analyzer's probe's quality makes a huge difference. There's no mention of understanding of this issue. Those 50 Ohm probes will get rid of a lot of details.

The article makes some good and valid points, but it's not something that can pass careful scrutiny. The way headroom perform their measurements, using a synthetic-ear of sort, is pretty good, since it takes a lot of unknowns out of the equation and only limited by the fidelity of the measurement equipment, which can be thought of as a "differential amplifier" when comparing 2 cables. I'm not arguing that cables make definitive differences, just that I haven't seen enough evidence either way to be convinced. I'm pretty sure there's a good reason why cable manufactures doesn't bother to publish charts while making wild claims, because it'd probably show virtually no difference. But in the end, it's the combination of the user, the placebo effect, possibly the cable, and other factors that swing people one way or another.

see, I've read plenty of similar arguements (like the one I linked, not yours, yours is "englightened", if you will), just none of them offered standing mesaurements

generally, there "is no difference", which means if something does exist, like you've said, its limited to our ears (in other words we don't have the right equipment to measure it, or accurate enough equipment to measure it, neither of these would surprise me (theres plenty of phenomena which we can't measure, or measure easily, with current methodology (and then you can be a real dork and let the "true sciences" people talk about Heisenberg-esque qualities of measurement
very_evil_smiley.gif
)))

BUT, with current technology, and current equipment, its inpercievable, TO the equipment (audio analyzers, oscilioscopes, spectrum analyzers, etc (honestly, I got a Q, if you're still at university, could you borrow their test equipment to run your own experiment? most universities have better test equipment than individual users, tech publications, and some private sector companies)), which means arguing it in ANY terms of "science", the naysayers will win by default (its a subjective claim of improvement against current data showing little to no difference (as in, difference may exist, but its more or less immeasurable (which goes back to subjective-ness "I can hear the difference between 0.003% THD and 0.0003% THD", even when theres papers that say thats impossible, from a scientific POV))

then, the next question has to arise:
if the machines are telling us "master, theres no difference, WE SWEARS IT MASTER" (yes, they're all Gollum)
but you're arguing "it may/has to exist", in a subjective nature, all, or at least a realistic majority of human subjects should report a difference, and it should be "the same" difference (for example if I say, all else equal, a 15" LF driver will produce more bass than a 6" LF driver, probably 99% of people I walk in front of the two and play some music for, will agree with it)

and as this thread, and probably a thousand more like it (on head-fi alone, then add in all of the other "stuff" on the internet about it, from both sides), show that it isn't "a standing majority", but that "cable believers" are a minority, or (at best) "half", and among these believers, theres MUCH disagreement over what a given cable will do or sound like (and it usually "sounds like whatever the owner wants it to sound like", reference all the "I got X cable for my hp's and it solved all of the issues, tightened up the bass, improved highs, un-veiled them, etc" threads), instead of "all 10 million of us believers feel that this APS cable sounds exactly like THIS, and does exactly THIS to the sound"

that debunks any potential of people being "genetically predispositioned audiophiles" (and I wouldn't buy into a theory that states some people are born better capable of hearing their systems
wink_face.gif
), because it isn't like color-blindness, or any other meterable predisposition (for example theres types of colorblindness, not "everyone for themselves")

inconclusive indeed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back