HD650 ApureSound Modification Impressions
Jun 4, 2011 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Monago

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I've been a member of head-fi for some time now, and although not a frequent poster, I've read much of the content in regards to HD650's. Much of this content seems to revolve around the pursuit of removing something people refer to as the dreaded sennheiser "veil", or in other words, the darker sound signature sometimes associated with various sennheiser headphones; most especially HD650's. My experience with the HD650 was much like everyone who has attempted to 'tame the beast', so to speak. Something in the area of love and hate. I personally tried almost everything (Except cables. I'm not a believer =P), and although the HD650 mids were consistently a point of great joy, I found there was always something not there. So I didn't sell the headphones, I worked with them. Constantly trying to improve on a beautiful sound that simply didn't have that something. After a year and a half of trial and error with sources and amps, I threw up my arms in frustration and accepted the headphones for everything I loved (and hated) about them. And with that introduction, I'll just get down to it...

A few weeks after 'throwing up my arms', I found this modification in some forums that had absolutely nothing to do with headphones; rather ironic. Simply put, I removed the foams found on the outer most part of the headphone driver magnet covering the small round hole. This modification turned my hd650's into everything I had always wanted from them. They are at this point for me, the perfect headphone. I also removed the inner (large) foam closest to the ear canal but didn't notice much, if any change in sound.

A few points about the sound difference to my ears for those interested in this modification (Please excuse my crappy sound descriptions):

What this modification DOES do: The highs, or frequencies from 10KHz and beyond are 'unleashed'. Cymbals become absolutely crystal clear, and guitar plucks resonate with a mind blowing sense of realism and 'space'. Bass is tightened A LOT and goes deeper with more impact. Mids are almost the same, but become ever-so-slightly more... lush. The overall sense of space (wide and deep) is increased, presumably because of the upper frequency changes and greater detail retrieval. Overall, the sound becomes more 'present' and has greater impact.

What this modification does NOT do: Your headphones will not become treble heavy, and remain very neutral in response. Your headphones will not become HD600's, and retain the signature 'dark' and smooth tone the 650's are known for. The beautiful HD650 mids are not tampered with, but become more 'real' with again, the greater detail retrieval this modification allows.

Here's a link to the mod:    http://apuresound.com/hdsennmod.html

I can't properly articulate how much I adore these headphones at this point. To those potentially considering this modification, I understand the hesitation in not wanting to tamper with your 500 dollar investment, and that this particular mod is essentially irreversible. I can only tell you that from personal experience, the result of this mod was a tremendously positive one and something I would do again in an instant. I enthusiastically recommend this to anyone with an HD650 who feels a 'little something' is missing. You won't be disappointed! And maybe even those who are content with their HD650's, there's a chance their beloved headphone will become something far more enjoyable.

Happy listening!

Edit: Oh right, I forgot to mention; whatever perceived "veil" or overly 'dark' tone these headphones once had is completely gone after this mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back