HD650 and Maranatz, Fiio, or Schiit? Need Opinions
Sep 27, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
Congrats on the Paradigms. I just got a pair of the Minimonitors and love them.

Thanks but I actually didn't pick up the Paradigms (yet). I went a little crazy over the weekend and bought a Schiit Valhalla amp and Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC. I couldn't live with myself with out trying a deicated headphone setup first. Both the amp and dac are supposed to arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to test them out. If after burn in and such I can't tell a difference between the headphone combo and the headphone out of my Marantz, I'll return the headphone combo and get the Paradigms. But should it be a big difference I'll most likely have to wait a few weeks to get the Paradigms. I'm thinking about the Studio 10's now hehe.

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #18 of 20
Ditto -- saw a good deal on a Marantz amp and wondered if it might be a better (or at least comparable?) solution to a dedicated amp.  I, too, have been considering the Fiio combo or Valhalla.  If you have further thoughts on the Marantz, please let us know.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #19 of 20
Which Marantz amp? I think all the older Marantz head amps are pretty nice but for the new stuff you'd just have to see if you liked it.  I have a new Marantz AVR and though the hp amp is nice, I'd never pick it over my dedicated HP amps.

Dec 1, 2011 at 1:17 AM Post #20 of 20
A PM5004.  Originally thought it was a PM8004, and thought the deal was spectacular.  But it's a PM5004 and the deal is only decent.  Still...would be interested in your take.  I'm pretty new to all this, and am working on improving my home loudspeaker setup as well.  If the Marantz can do both (speakers quite well and phones at least as well as an inexpensive amp (read Fiio E7/E9 combo), I'd be glad to know that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back