HD600's used with Galaxy Nexus?rocoo-p?
Jun 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

InRainbows

New Head-Fier
I have a Galaxy Nexus smart phone, I understand that this phone has a TI DAC, which in the audiophile community is regarded as pretty good. I am using power amp and I mainly listen to Radiohead. I'm a huge fan and have every single song by these guys, and I read that the HD-600 were the best headphones for Radiohead overall. My first question is How would these headphones sound unamped, plugged directly into my GNex? My second question is would purchasing the Rocoo- P be a wise investment as an alternative DAP? How much better would the SQ be in contrast to my GNex?
Thanks

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 5
well the HD600 has a false reputation of being difficult to drive, actually the load it presents if pretty benign, but while they dont need super low output impedance, they dont need high current and they dont need a huge voltage swing; they do need a minimum voltage to do their thing. While you'll get sound out of your Galaxy, its very unlikely to have this minimum (about 6-7v peak) neither is the rococo likely to have this spare.

I can confirm however that they do an excellent job of Radiohead
L3000.gif

Jun 26, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #4 of 5
Radioheads recordings are generally pretty poor, compressed and distorted - no point using HD600s, I'd look at HD25s

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Radioheads recordings are generally pretty poor, compressed and distorted - no point using HD600s, I'd look at HD25s

That's what I hear as well on some of their stuff like KidA, Amnesiac, in rainbows. But in OK computer, hail to the thief, TKOL and the bends the sound quality of the recordings seem pretty top notch?
[/quote]
well the HD600 has a false reputation of being difficult to drive, actually the load it presents if pretty benign, but while they dont need super low output impedance, they dont need high current and they dont need a huge voltage swing; they do need a minimum voltage to do their thing. While you'll get sound out of your Galaxy, its very unlikely to have this minimum (about 6-7v peak) neither is the rococo likely to have this spare.

I can confirm however that they do an excellent job of Radiohead :L3000:

Oh alright that makes sense thanks qusp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back