HD600 upgrade cable with XLR or 6.3mm plug?
May 26, 2011 at 10:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Jonasklam

500+ Head-Fier
Yo!

So I'm searching for an upgrade cable to my HD600 but I am not sure what kind of terminating that would suit me the best.

Should i go for a XLR cable? With 3 pin? or with 4 pins? What's the difference anyway?
Or just plain old 6.3mm termination on the upgrade cable?

... and while we are at it, what's is the advantage of going balanced?

Hope you guys can help :D

May 26, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #2 of 8
It really depend on what equipment (Amp and/or DAC-Amp). the other suggeswtion is to get several cable each with different plug consider the cable on HD650 is detachable, I have HD600 and I made cables of my own using both 6.3mm and 3.5mm. I didn't make XLR because I don't have equipment using XLR connector. so it is depend upon what connector of your signal come from.

May 27, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
 I didn't make XLR because I don't have equipment using XLR connector. so it is depend upon what connector of your signal come from.

Yea, but can't you just get and XLR incase you upgrade you amp/dac setup later, and then just use a XLR to 6.3mm adaptor?
Also, do you know what the difference between 3 and 4 pins is?

May 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 8
You can get the XLR - 6.3mm adapter, but it does add another connector in the signal chain - may not be an issue for you, but some people like the path to be as simple as possible.

I believe 3-pin XLR is balanced mono, while 4-pin is balanced stereo; hence, why you'd only have one 4-pin XLR but two 3-pin XLR connectors.  Advantages one way or the other, not really sure.  Crosstalk reduction, maybe?

Quote:
Yea, but can't you just get and XLR incase you upgrade you amp/dac setup later, and then just use a XLR to 6.3mm adaptor?

May 27, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:

What XLR usually referrs to here is a balanced connection, in which the headphones are wired L-, L+, R-, R+, as opposed to a normal L, R, and Ground connection, which is typical of almost every headphone that isn't balanced. It is typically used in studios where balanced can reduce noise. In a Hi-fi setup, you typically won't have the electronic chaos you find in a studio, and balanced gear requires you to double the circuitry, which will cause price to go up without any gain in actual sound quality. I'm not an audio engineer or expert, so if I'm wrong, please correct me. 

I also wouldn't bother upgrading the cable. Whatever cable you have is fine. If you really want to get a better cable, just get an HD650 cable. You won't find any difference in sound quality regardless of what cable you have.

May 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
You can get the XLR - 6.3mm adapter, but it does add another connector in the signal chain - may not be an issue for you, but some people like the path to be as simple as possible.

I believe 3-pin XLR is balanced mono, while 4-pin is balanced stereo; hence, why you'd only have one 4-pin XLR but two 3-pin XLR connectors.  Advantages one way or the other, not really sure.  Crosstalk reduction, maybe?

Arh cool. thanks for the explanation.
But then you would also need a 4 pin amp. I don't think i ever seen those, or at least didn't realize it was 4 pin.

As for the XLR to 6.3mm, i thought people generally agreed that converting the plug reduce SQ. Might be wrong?

May 28, 2011 at 10:36 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I also wouldn't bother upgrading the cable. Whatever cable you have is fine. If you really want to get a better cable, just get an HD650 cable. You won't find any difference in sound quality regardless of what cable you have.

I generally agree with this statement. However, I want to get a really nice cable so that I can confirm to myself once and for all, that cables do little to no difference at all.

Maybe i'll get the HD650 cable, but I think i'll get an even better be cable...

May 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 8
It depends on the amp and the cable maker, I think; there are some that hate the dual 3-pin setups, and there are some that prefer it.  I don't have any balanced gear myself, so I haven't looked too far into it.

On the SQ reduction, I can see how it could be theoretically possible, but without having tried it either way myself, I'd hesitate to comment.

Quote:
Arh cool. thanks for the explanation.
But then you would also need a 4 pin amp. I don't think i ever seen those, or at least didn't realize it was 4 pin.

As for the XLR to 6.3mm, i thought people generally agreed that converting the plug reduce SQ. Might be wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back