HD600 owner looking to buy some orthos
Mar 22, 2014 at 2:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

qoouep

Head-Fier
Hello HeadFiers,

It's been a while since I've posted. My last major audio purchase was a Bifrost/Asgard/HD600 (first version for the Schiit) about two years ago. I'm thinking about upgrades/sidegrades and am wondering what direction I should move in. I really like my HD600 and think I will keep it regardless of my other purchases. I don't expect to have a different headphone as my "primary" headphone any time soon and if I am to buy something right now, I will get headphones and I don't plan on upgrading other gear soon.

I listen to a lot of indie music (especially chill music with female vocals) and really like my HD600 for that, but I've been wanting to get more into electronic music. I would generally like a complement to my HD600s. 

I like the sound of the HD600s a lot: the dark quality is perfect. I don't like bright headphones at all: my Alessandro MS1s were challenging for me to listen to, and they're one of the more balanced headphones of the Grado line. The mids are good for a lot of what I listen to, but could be toned back a bit in a complementary headphone. I would like to have a headphone with more PRAT/speed for electronic music (I am not entirely clear on how speed doesn't fit with PRAT, so help there is welcome). A bit more bass/slam would be good as well.

I've been thinking that a new headphone would be the HE-400, HE-500, or LCD2 (yes, I do know that those are completely different classes of headphones). I'm reasonably sure that I want orthos (and as an aside I don't want any of the other phones in Senn's lineup, as much as I like their sound). I'm not really considering cost/value too much here. Which of those (or others), do you think would meet my needs best? I'm really looking for a complement to my HD600. The headphone doesn't have to be "better" or "worse" than the HD600.

I would like to get a headphone that meets my listed needs best and that I would not ever want to sell. That is, I would like to be informed of headphones that meet my needs best now and in the future. I don't want to upgrade my source right now, but may in the distant future (years from now). If I do upgrade my gear, it'll be to get some serious end-game stuff that I can't buy any time soon. In that sense, a new headphone MUST work well with my current setup, but it is a pretty good bonus if it scales well (as is the case with my HD600).

Comments on comfort are appreciated, but not prioritized. I have briefly auditioned all of the headphones I mentioned in this post and am fairly certain that I won't find orthos that are more comfortable than Senns. Also, I would love to know if there's knowledge of upcoming headphones that meet this profile. I'm open to suggestions, but anything too far beyond the cost of the LCD2s is a bit much.

What do you guys think?

Mar 22, 2014 at 2:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, the HifiMAN HE-400i and HE-560 are coming out soon so that's an option. Haven't tried them, but the HifiMAN HE-500 seems similar to the HD 600, albeit with an ortho presentation.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 7
That's actually some pretty good info, Garraty. It might be good for me to hold off on a purchase for a while then and see what impressions people have of those.

Mar 24, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #4 of 7
  That's actually some pretty good info, Garraty. It might be good for me to hold off on a purchase for a while then and see what impressions people have of those.

Yeah, sure no problem!

If you want more info: (note these are all taken from reviews and viewpoints, as general consensuses of these headphones)

HifiMAN HE-400: Very live presentation, engaging mids, sparkly highs and deep, extending bass- almost enough for a basshead. Upper midrange and highs seem too sharp for some.

HifiMAN HE-500: Similar to the HD 600, but has more extending bass and a bit of sparkle in the highs, with a neutral presentation. If you're coming from the HD 600, some have noted they lack some timbre and realism compared to the HD 600.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks!

After doing a bit of research, it seems that I might want to just plan on getting LCD's at some point instead of going the hifiman route. If I were to upgrade my amp/dac, I'd probably get Gungnir/Mjolnir, which is said to work much better with LCD's (where that is a pretty endgame system) than it does with hifiman.

I do almost not want to get LCD's until they make lighter/more comfortable cans. Since hifiman just made the comfort move with the 400i and 560, hopefully Audeze will respond and make some lighter headphones. So I think I'll hold off on new headphones for a bit and see where the market goes. I've tried the LCD2/3 and the he-400/500 and they're not comfortable enough that I'd wear them for extended periods of time.

I do wonder how good a Gungnir -> Mjolnir -> HD600 setup would be if I were to upgrade everything but the headphones.

I have to say though, I do almost want to pick up an HE-400 for the heck of it, since they're (comparably) cheap.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #6 of 7
  Thanks!

After doing a bit of research, it seems that I might want to just plan on getting LCD's at some point instead of going the hifiman route. If I were to upgrade my amp/dac, I'd probably get Gungnir/Mjolnir, which is said to work much better with LCD's (where that is a pretty endgame system) than it does with hifiman.

I do almost not want to get LCD's until they make lighter/more comfortable cans. Since hifiman just made the comfort move with the 400i and 560, hopefully Audeze will respond and make some lighter headphones. So I think I'll hold off on new headphones for a bit and see where the market goes. I've tried the LCD2/3 and the he-400/500 and they're not comfortable enough that I'd wear them for extended periods of time.

I do wonder how good a Gungnir -> Mjolnir -> HD600 setup would be if I were to upgrade everything but the headphones.

I have to say though, I do almost want to pick up an HE-400 for the heck of it, since they're (comparably) cheap.

I wish I had as much free money as you do!

Good luck on your headphone quest. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back