HD600 leakage -- acceptable in a private office?
May 10, 2011 at 2:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

benmwatson

New Head-Fier
I've seen many posts here and elsewhere about HD600 leakage, but nothing specific enough for me to make a decision yet about whether to disqualify them based on that. If I've overlooked something, I apologize.

I'm considering buying the HD600 for use in my office. It will be amped (with what I'm not sure, but that's a topic for another thread). It's a private office with a door that can be closed. The front wall and door is all glass. I have a neighbor on one side. The walls seem decently thick, but I'm not entirely sure.

How bad is the leakage?

If my door is open, will people down the hall or a neighboring office hear it?

If my door is closed, will anyone else hear it? There's a pool table about 25 ft outside my office. If I close the door, I can no longer hear it, or it's very muffled.

Is there anything you can compare it to, volume-wise?

I think I may listen to volume at moderate-to-loud levels, but I'm not sure if that will change. I currently have Bose Quietcomfort 2s which are completely closed and isolated, and I have to really turn up the soundcard volume to get much decent sound from them. So that might change with better phones.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

May 10, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 9
Hmm.  Well, I don't have the HD600, but I do have the HD595, which I would imagine is quite similar in this sense.

Anyway, the 595 leaks a ton of noise.  It's like having little speakers attached to your head.  I'd liken it to turning your computer's speakers up to a moderate, but listenable volume at a reasonable listening level.  But seeing as how you're not in a cubicle or anything, it should be alright...but I guess that, in the end, it's up to how well sound travels.  You should try turning up some speakers to a moderate volume with music and ask your neighbors if they can notice it, or just walk outside the room and see if you can hear it.  If it's not noticeable outside, you should be fine.

Anyway, if you buy them from a reputable reseller, you'd probably be able to return them if it doesn't work out.

May 10, 2011 at 4:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Speaking from my experiences with the 595, I think it should be fine.
I can't imagine anyone would hear it, save someone standing in the open doorway.

I do believe I've read somewhere that the 650s leak more than the 595, and since the 600s are so similar in design it probably applies to them as well.
I still highly doubt it would be noticable, but it is worth mentioning.

May 10, 2011 at 9:16 AM Post #5 of 9
Depends on how loud you're listening. The isolation of the HD600 gets me to my listening volume a notch or two sooner than on the SR225, and the latter at a couple of notches more than that sounds like desktop speakers at less than 1m away.

May 18, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
How bad is the leakage?

If my door is open, will people down the hall or a neighboring office hear it?
If you listen to fun levels, yes

If my door is closed, will anyone else hear it? There's a pool table about 25 ft outside my office. If I close the door, I can no longer hear it, or it's very muffled.
Probably not

Is there anything you can compare it to, volume-wise?
It's an open can and there's little but the grill between the driver and the room... open cand DO leak.

I think I may listen to volume at moderate-to-loud levels, but I'm not sure if that will change. I currently have Bose Quietcomfort 2s which are completely closed and isolated, and I have to really turn up the soundcard volume to get much decent sound from them. So that might change with better phones.

Any help you can give would be appreciated.

May 18, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 9
I worked at a office (a wooden building with several rooms upstairs on second floor) and I was using a Senn HD-600 and the boss was 2 rooms away and came in to tell me to turn it down or off. I was playing fairly loud but not anyway near danger level. And we were above a bar on the first floor and we were on Pacific Coast Highway at 15th street in Seal Beach. Very busy street and traffic noise and our building was old wood -- not reinforced windows so you would hear the bar and the traffic and still the headphone sound bothered the boss 2 rooms away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back