HD598 v DT880
May 7, 2011 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

hth715

New Head-Fier
So I am debating between the HD598 and the DT880 (600ohm). I listen to a lot of pop-punk, punk, elctronica, indie, and some dubstep. Not looking for bass that shakes my face but I want to feel each bass kick and the full range of the drums. Thought? Thanks guys. 

May 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 13
Both are great, but the Beyers are far more aggressive. That would probably suit your music tastes best.

DT990 has more bass and soundstage than the DT880, yet has brighter highs. Consider that if you're looking toward Beyer.

May 7, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 13
Yeah the DT-880 and HD-598 are not comparable at all. It all depends on preferences. I loved the DT-880 for awhile when I had it but needed to get rid of it due to comfort.

I found it to actually be very neutral and completely uncolored when properly unamped. It didn't try to make any of my music better than it really is. Want a headphone to make your collection sound like garbage? Get the DT-880! Don't take that the wrong way because its just that it's very revealing and detailed.

I found the mids to not be too recessed, but they are perhaps very, very slightly. It was such a non-issue for me. It took me awhile to notice this and I didnt until I tried them with games and everything was so distant compared to other neutral headphones.

The DT-880 is kind of boring and lifeless with some music and then really fun with others. It was quite confusing. I loved mine for electronic music. In the end I decided to switch to the K702. To my ears, the K702 has far more treble.

The HD-598 has better mids than the DT-880 and they're far more forward, but the DT-880 is less forgiving of source files and is much more clear and revealing. The soundstage of the 598 is massive compared to the DT-880.

I've owned all 3 DT-880's and I won't go into the differences. I prefer the 32 ohm version.

The HD-598 to me is definitely more fun to listen to, but it depends on what you listen to. It does make music a bit more fun to listen to and colors it a tad, but who cares? I don't!

Not sure if you plan on playing games or watch movies with them, but if you do, get the 598. I found the DT-880 terrible for movies and I never liked it for gaming. It's decent for competitive gaming though.

May 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #6 of 13

Haha, sorry, I guess I meant to say that they're just so different in how they sound. Not totally opposites, but close enough.
I think total opposites for me would be like the DT-880 and HD-650!
Quote:
Of course they are comparable. Obviously they won't have exact signature, but nonetheless, why not compare them? That's the only way to tell which one suits user preference.

May 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM Post #8 of 13
Wow this is a lot to think about. Thought I finally had it nailed between the two. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Yeah the DT-880 and HD-598 are not comparable at all. It all depends on preferences. I loved the DT-880 for awhile when I had it but needed to get rid of it due to comfort.

I found it to actually be very neutral and completely uncolored when properly unamped. It didn't try to make any of my music better than it really is. Want a headphone to make your collection sound like garbage? Get the DT-880! Don't take that the wrong way because its just that it's very revealing and detailed.

I found the mids to not be too recessed, but they are perhaps very, very slightly. It was such a non-issue for me. It took me awhile to notice this and I didnt until I tried them with games and everything was so distant compared to other neutral headphones.

The DT-880 is kind of boring and lifeless with some music and then really fun with others. It was quite confusing. I loved mine for electronic music. In the end I decided to switch to the K702. To my ears, the K702 has far more treble.

The HD-598 has better mids than the DT-880 and they're far more forward, but the DT-880 is less forgiving of source files and is much more clear and revealing. The soundstage of the 598 is massive compared to the DT-880.

I've owned all 3 DT-880's and I won't go into the differences. I prefer the 32 ohm version.

The HD-598 to me is definitely more fun to listen to, but it depends on what you listen to. It does make music a bit more fun to listen to and colors it a tad, but who cares? I don't!

Not sure if you plan on playing games or watch movies with them, but if you do, get the 598. I found the DT-880 terrible for movies and I never liked it for gaming. It's decent for competitive gaming though.

I usually listen to music while I play games but when something like Battlefield 3 comes out, I'll probably play with game sounds. However, games take a secondary role to music for me, I'd much rather have a more enjoyable listening experience as to music. From what I've read, it seems the DT880 has better bass then the 598? Or is the 598 just more accurate sounding? I've looked at AKG briefly but have heard that most of its headphones produce an airy sound which might not sound good with the bass demanding genres I listen to. Do I have that right?

Quote:
Both are great, but the Beyers are far more aggressive. That would probably suit your music tastes best.

DT990 has more bass and soundstage than the DT880, yet has brighter highs. Consider that if you're looking toward Beyer.

I have contemplated the 990, but is the bass on the 990 going to be overpowering or over-exaggerate what I'm listening to?

Thanks again for the input, its very helpful.

May 8, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
I have contemplated the 990, but is the bass on the 990 going to be overpowering or over-exaggerate what I'm listening to?

Going by the 990 Pro that I have I'd say yes but I would also say that these being headphones if the bass wasn't exaggerated that you would probably think them to be bass light or deficient in that respect. For me the thing with the 990 Pro (but more so with 990 premium from what I've read!) is not so much the bass or the mids but the treble tip...often times the midrange frequencies can sound a little took on helium when compared to others.

May 8, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #10 of 13
I personally don't find the 990's bass overpowered at all, it does what's supposed to be done.  It gives drums impact, and low extended reverberations body.  If a song doesn't have much bass in it, it won't give you much bass out of it.

The treble is the deal breaker for the 990, people either love or hate it.

May 8, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
I personally don't find the 990's bass overpowered at all, it does what's supposed to be done.  It gives drums impact, and low extended reverberations body.  If a song doesn't have much bass in it, it won't give you much bass out of it.

The treble is the deal breaker for the 990, people either love or hate it.

What can I expect from the treble in the 990? Also, is the treble problem the same from the 250ohm to the 600ohm versions? Is there a big difference between the two?

May 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 13
I can only speak from experience of the 600Ω with a warm tube amp and neutral dac.  The treble made it so a lot of cymbals in music were more pronounced and crisp.  Perhaps a little of a coloration to achieve the illusion of more detail, but something I personally like for the better.  As for the highs being too piercing or voices being sibilant, I'd say that'd be a quality of the recording and mastering of the song moreso than the headhpones itself.  For almost all songs it wasn't too bad at all, but for some songs (especially if you listen at higher levels) you'd wonder just what the hell you were doing to your ears.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back