HD595 Owners
Jul 3, 2005 at 2:55 AM Post #46 of 70
The treble and mids will overtake the bass eventually
cool.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:14 PM Post #47 of 70
I'm using my HD595 (120Ohm) directly out of an Echo Indigo. The results are quite satisfying. And though many around here state that they improve significantly with a dedicated amp, this is not true when I hook the Indigo up to a Porta Corda MkII to drive them. This makes no significant improvement. Only the bass gets a bit punchier, soundsatge maybe a bit wider, but all in all with less pace. In my opinion these changes don't satisfy all the hassle with extra cables and things for the external amp on the laptop.

Jul 3, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #48 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
right now its all over the frequency range. I took a brief listen this morning, and decided to use Dvorak's New World Symphony because of the varying instrumentation of the 3 pieces. after about 50 hours of burn-in, the bass is still boomy, and the mids still sounds scooped out. the treble settled down a bit, but now seems overshadowed by everything else. IMO, the response are too unbalanced for any orchestral or vocal pieces. however, the punchy bass and 2-dimensional sound would suit rap and hip-hop fine.

fr4c, 50 hours is the typical point when the midrange doesn't sound quite right from my experience with both the 595 and the 650 ... It's not normal that the midrange should sound "scooped out" on a 595 in fact ... Please keep us posted on the improvements as soon as they come
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #49 of 70
Quote:

the treble settled down a bit, but now seems overshadowed by everything else. IMO, the response are too unbalanced for any orchestral or vocal pieces.

I too have the 50_Ohm set. Your description doesn't match mine at all.

Quote:

the response are too unbalanced for any orchestral or vocal pieces.

I'd return your set! If you really feel that way. No burn-in will ever satisfy you. You obviously don't like that set.

I have found that my set enjoys an increased volume to truely come to life. Infact, they are so sensitive, I adjust per track. If 0 is Can't hear and 10 is objectionably loud...they like a 7 or 8.

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:07 PM Post #51 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
fr4c, 50 hours is the typical point when the midrange doesn't sound quite right from my experience with both the 595 and the 650 ... It's not normal that the midrange should sound "scooped out" on a 595 in fact ... Please keep us posted on the improvements as soon as they come
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
I too have the 50_Ohm set. Your description doesn't match mine at all.

with more than 100 hours on them now, I can says things are finally improving. its weird, because I no longer hear the "unbalance" or scooped out mids like the HD590's which I owned a few years back. I can live with the treble and bass right now, although I would like more mids.

also keep in mind that I have not listened to any of my other headphones this past week, so my ears may be a little biased
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 5:17 PM Post #52 of 70
Quote:

I can live with the treble and bass right now, although I would like more mids.

First time I hear or read this kind of complaint !
biggrin.gif

It's the mids that I really liked about 595 - for everything else (especially headband !), I might prefer 580.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #53 of 70
Hi folks

I use a Rotel RA-01 amp which probably isn't the best for headphone listening. I'm going to buy Musical Fidelity XCan V3 soon. Having said that, my views briefly are:

(i) HD580 has the best clarity, imaging, instrument separation of all three, but no good with lesser quality recordings - sound becomes weak (just like the recording);

(ii) still burning in HD650 - so far only a couple of hours burning in and I'm worried - it's the worst of the three;

(iii) HD595 is good if you need the forward, more powerful sound, but be prepared to lose out on clarity, imaging, etc. Also, the bass is NOT deeper than HD580, just more emphasised. Bass not as clearly defined as HD580.

(iv) I also have a pair of HD265 Linear. I've never understood these headphones - they sound muffled on my Rotel but good on a NAD amp.

Thanks.

Regards

Pauly.

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:56 PM Post #54 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauly
(iv) I also have a pair of HD265 Linear. I've never understood these headphones - they sound muffled on my Rotel but good on a NAD amp.

These cans stayed only 1 day in my room. =) Nothing else but bass coming out of my ex-265.

I slightly disagree on bass comment on 595 vs 580. My opinion is exactly the other way around, 595 bass went deeper but less emphasised.

Jul 7, 2005 at 2:35 PM Post #55 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pauly
Hi folks

I use a Rotel RA-01 amp which probably isn't the best for headphone listening. I'm going to buy Musical Fidelity XCan V3 soon. Having said that, my views briefly are:

(i) HD580 has the best clarity, imaging, instrument separation of all three, but no good with lesser quality recordings - sound becomes weak (just like the recording);

(ii) still burning in HD650 - so far only a couple of hours burning in and I'm worried - it's the worst of the three;

(iii) HD595 is good if you need the forward, more powerful sound, but be prepared to lose out on clarity, imaging, etc. Also, the bass is NOT deeper than HD580, just more emphasised. Bass not as clearly defined as HD580.

Thanks.

Regards

Pauly.

I burned in over 100 hours, the 650 I mean. Theres a slight difference only. I don't think burn in is a big deal with this particular phone. On the other side, I already like the sound out of the box
biggrin.gif

HD 595 needs 300 hour burn in and a good source
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #56 of 70
To address the question of which Senns produce the most exciting 'Grado-like' sound... while I have never heard Grados, everything I read sounds like a description of the HD590's, though the 590's it would seem are more comfy and maybe have a higher penalty on the mids(?).

From my experience with SR-125 Grado's and Sennheiser 590's -- they are worlds apart. The Grado sound is very much "in you face" compared to the 590's. The midrange on the 590's is kind of recessed with the stock cable. Overall, I found the 590's to be not as exciting as the Grado, but easier to listen to for long periods. MY $.02, fwiw.

Have not heard 595's, but the more forward midrange comments sound like they should be more "exciting" for rock than the 590's
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 3:41 PM Post #57 of 70
You guys almost have me convinced!

I was debating between the DT880's and the 595's.

Would any of you guys say the 595's have a better bass than the 880's. I like crisp detail but I don't want to give up good solid deep bass. The 880's are flat in the bass but they almost seemed a bit recessed sometimes

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:06 PM Post #58 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver
You guys almost have me convinced!

I was debating between the DT880's and the 595's.

Would any of you guys say the 595's have a better bass than the 880's. I like crisp detail but I don't want to give up good solid deep bass. The 880's are flat in the bass but they almost seemed a bit recessed sometimes

At the Cinci meet, I thought the 880's has better bass than both the 120ohm and 55 ohm 595s.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:12 PM Post #59 of 70
Never heard 880 before ... I can only say that bass is not 595's biggest strength. Natural sounding they may be, but for bassheads they are not (!#$%^&! sticky jedi).

Did you mean that 880 have recessed bass or mids ? Check out the other thread '595 bass'. Personally I heard deep bass on 595, although not punchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back