HD595 Owners
Jun 30, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #31 of 70
pictures as promised:
0015fx.jpg

0022nh.jpg

Jun 30, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #32 of 70
how is the bass?

Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in the bass between these and the HD555?

Jul 1, 2005 at 5:12 AM Post #33 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
how is the bass?

Can anyone tell me if there is a huge difference in the bass between these and the HD555?

Depends on your definition of "huge." I find the biggest differences are bass and overall smoothness, both of which are much better in the 595 than the 555.

sb

Jul 1, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
My HD595's arrived today, I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Decent packaging, nothing too fancy. The included mountable headphone stand is a nice touch, although I have no use for it. The 1/4 to 1/8 adapter places too much strain on the mini-stereo plug though, so I wont bother using that either. The headphone itself is nicely built, although not as tough as my DT880's or my HD600/650. Its pretty light, and the pads makes them very comfortable to wear. Cable looks decent, but will swap out for a pair of Cardas soon.

Initial impressions of the sound wasn't as impressive as I thought them to be. It is more forward sounding than the HD600 and HD650, but lacks overall tonal balance. Treble sounds artificial and the bass is sloppy. Mids are decent, but sounds a bit recessed. Nothing too fantastic so far, although the soundstage is beginning to open up a bit.

Perhaps with more burn-in, these headphones will sound better. Until then, these are going into the closet for some major burn-in.

There's nothing surprising in your initial finding. Major burn in required !
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #35 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Depends on your definition of "huge." I find the biggest differences are bass and overall smoothness, both of which are much better in the 595 than the 555.

sb

so your definitions of better bass is overall smoothness and not bloaty?

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:01 PM Post #36 of 70
Recieved my New HD595's today.
1st Impressions:
1. Nice looking
2. Quality built. Comes with intuitive headset holder.
3. Really comfortable. Tight fit, stay where they're put. A little warm feeling, but not hot.
4. Nice sound. They produce what's fed into them. If the recording has little bass, that's what you get. No distortion.
5. Very responsive. As I change the equalizer settings they respond very nicely. Each recording destinctive in sound. No mush here.
6. Easy to drive. My Audio I5 mp3 player drives them fine. I had to throttle back the volume on my PC sound card. No amp necessary.
7. Sound Stage. I really wrestled with this. I'd say 2nd row, looking up.
8. Cup size. Fits over my ears OK, completely encompassing.
9. Retailer - Abe of Maine. Smooth, prompt service with UPS tracking and good price.
10 Overall opinion is, after an extensive internet search, the HD595 is a great Can. Very conforable which is a high priority for me. If it ain't comfortable, sound qualities don't matter, since, most high end Cans are good. Any problems with Treble or bass, are best left to the equalizer, IMHO. Give it to me like it was recorded. These babies are for the easy chair and the grandkids, asleep.
600smile.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #37 of 70
so would u say itd be worth it to skip the HD555's and save up for the HD595?

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:21 AM Post #38 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by South_Korean
so would u say itd be worth it to skip the HD555's and save up for the HD595?

yes.

the HD595 improves the overall balance, and has much tighter bass compared to the HD555. the treble and mids are coming along nicely on my new pair, and they seem to open up more each day.

I cant say any more than that, because extensive burn-in is still required. but for some reason, they sound very congested (a la Sennheiser veil)
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:29 AM Post #39 of 70
A comparison between my 580s and 595s is actually quite unfair because I did not have a headphone amp at the time I owned the 580s. But, in a word, the 595s + SR-71 mean brilliance to me. The sound was brighter to me, and I felt like I was close to the stage, but not right at the stage, well maybe 5 rows back. With the 580s I was not even sitting in the orchestra section

Jul 2, 2005 at 3:14 AM Post #40 of 70
Quote:

yes.

the HD595 improves the overall balance, and has much tighter bass compared to the HD555. the treble and mids are coming along nicely on my new pair, and they seem to open up more each day.

I cant say any more than that, because extensive burn-in is still required. but for some reason, they sound very congested (a la Sennheiser veil)
smily_headphones1.gif

In my opinion, the veil will still exist although mostly limited to the lower end. They kinda sound mesh upped and not well separated. This is only noticeble on music with lots of layers in the bottom end off course. You can't have everything for this price
tongue.gif

Jul 2, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #41 of 70
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

... in burn in burn in burn in ...
redface.gif
... Needs > 100 hours for the midrange to really 'break loose' ...

Jul 2, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #42 of 70
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

fr4c,

Do you have the 120 ohm or 55 ohm version?

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:46 PM Post #43 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
In my opinion, the veil will still exist although mostly limited to the lower end. They kinda sound mesh upped and not well separated. This is only noticeble on music with lots of layers in the bottom end off course. You can't have everything for this price
tongue.gif

right now its all over the frequency range. I took a brief listen this morning, and decided to use Dvorak's New World Symphony because of the varying instrumentation of the 3 pieces. after about 50 hours of burn-in, the bass is still boomy, and the mids still sounds scooped out. the treble settled down a bit, but now seems overshadowed by everything else. IMO, the response are too unbalanced for any orchestral or vocal pieces. however, the punchy bass and 2-dimensional sound would suit rap and hip-hop fine.

continuing burn-in process
plainface.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
... in burn in burn in burn in ...
redface.gif
... Needs > 100 hours for the midrange to really 'break loose' ...

at the rate these headphones are going, I wouldnt be surprised if it took >500 hours before they start to "break loose".
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
fr4c,

Do you have the 120 ohm or 55 ohm version?

I have the newer 50ohm version.

Jul 2, 2005 at 11:58 PM Post #44 of 70
My pair really started to shine and start settling down about 200 or so hours in. Up until that point, I was fiddling with the EQ almost constantly to get something I liked. You complain of scooped out mids now, but just wait until those suckers settle into what they're really capable of. Acoustic strings and female vocals especially are just fantastic to my ears.

The bass should also tighten up considerably with burn-in and a good amp. I'm sad that Norm doesn't make the Classic any more, because it's a fantastic match with the HD595 and now I just don't know what to recommend for an inexpensive home amp to pair with it.
frown.gif

My pair now has well over a thousand hours on them, and I just love them.

Jul 3, 2005 at 12:25 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

right now its all over the frequency range. I took a brief listen this morning, and decided to use Dvorak's New World Symphony because of the varying instrumentation of the 3 pieces. after about 50 hours of burn-in, the bass is still boomy, and the mids still sounds scooped out. the treble settled down a bit, but now seems overshadowed by everything else. IMO, the response are too unbalanced for any orchestral or vocal pieces. however, the punchy bass and 2-dimensional sound would suit rap and hip-hop fine.

Weird, it doesn't sound like you're describing the 595's to me. To me everything is just about right except that I'd like MORE punchy bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back