HD595 Owners
Jun 27, 2005 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Hmmm. I like Vivaldi, Kate Bush, Bjork, and Underworld (and very occasionally Tchaikowski)... and I like the 595s...

You should try to listen to that stuff with suitable "fist into the face" headphones and might get into one or other "Wow" moments. 595s are really not built for Underworld. Of course, they do what they are told, but...well...
To get into a car analogy: Of course, you can go fast with your E-class Mercedes, but if it's gonna be sportive, a Porsche is more suitable.

Jun 27, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #17 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nak Man
Btw the cables attached to four pin connectors inside housing, not soldered directly nor utilised mini plug (ala 590 ?).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrea
It is detachable, but only from the inside of the earcup. You have to open the earcups, inside there's some 'custom' connector.

So is there anyway you can DIY your own replacement cable? I'm thinking of adding a Cardas cable myself, rather than go through Headroom.

Jun 27, 2005 at 9:13 PM Post #18 of 70
My experience with the 50 ohm version of the HD-595's is that the 'excitement level' depends greatly on your choice of amp.

So far, I've used them :

a) unamped with my iPod Shuffle
b) powered by my Go-Vibe (AD8066 and 9.6V Maha rechargeables) from the Line Out of my Sony Discman
c) plugged into the Phones jack of my stereo receiver (a 35 year old Sansui G-5700) running off of a Technics CD Player.

Which do I prefer?

b) gives an improvement over a), but c) totally knocks the socks off both a) and b)! I have no clue the quality of what is driving my headphones from the Sansui receiver, but let me tell you it's enough to bring these suckers to life. The impact of the drums, guitars, vocals, etc. is hard hitting and fast (when it's supposed to be), and acoustic pieces sound as smooth and articulate as ever. The sound itself seems to be much more around you (rather than just in front of you), and it has much more 'reach' than with previous listening experiences.

EDIT: I have since learned much, and have totally changed my mind. The headphone jack on my receiver doesn't sound nearly as good as I thought, and the 'punchyness' that I admired was really no more than some excess distortion. My PIMETA with OPA627/637's by far sounds the best, followed by the small yet capable go-vibe.

Jun 27, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #19 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
So is there anyway you can DIY your own replacement cable? I'm thinking of adding a Cardas cable myself, rather than go through Headroom.

you can remove the stock wire from the stock connector.

then put whatever you want onto it.

alternately, find the proper connector (its not totally custom, just hard to find. i have not suceded) and build away.

Jun 28, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #20 of 70
Same here very happy with my 595s, but I use my grado's a lot more (I like to jam!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Jun 28, 2005 at 7:13 AM Post #21 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeppelin2
b) gives an improvement over a), but c) totally knocks the socks off both a) and b)! I have no clue the quality of what is driving my headphones from the Sansui receiver, but let me tell you it's enough to bring these suckers to life. The impact of the drums, guitars, vocals, etc. is hard hitting and fast (when it's supposed to be), and acoustic pieces sound as smooth and articulate as ever. The sound itself seems to be much more around you (rather than just in front of you), and it has much more 'reach' than with previous listening experiences.

Fine...! So I presume that I'm not necessarily missing an amp as much as I was 'thought' to be ... I won't marvel anymore at how I'm already happy with the sound I now get from my Pioneer, then!
eggosmile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 8:22 AM Post #22 of 70
To address the question of which Senns produce the most exciting 'Grado-like' sound... while I have never heard Grados, everything I read sounds like a description of the HD590's, though the 590's it would seem are more comfy and maybe have a higher penalty on the mids(?).

Jun 28, 2005 at 9:25 AM Post #23 of 70
I owned 595 for a couple of months and changed them to 650s. What could I say, 650 simply is a better headphone. I admit that first I had hard times to hear the differencies but after I listened whole evening 650s and then changed back to 595 I spotted all the differencies. I won't start listing them here because they can be found with search function in maybe 50 different threads.

The strongest area of 595 is definitely vocals (imho).

Jun 28, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #24 of 70
Patu --

Though I certainly agree that the HD650 is overall better, I find that the HD595 has its own "goods" over the HD650, something hard to describe but not so much to perceive, that can result in a similarly pleasant feeling when switching to it (595) after having listened to the 650 for long.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #25 of 70
With HD590's, I find the bass and treble to be decent. Not the best, but exceptable. The only reason I sold them was because of the mids, and at times, they sounded like my EX71's.

I hope that the HD595's addresses this issue, improving on the mids while still pertaining the bass and treble characteristics of the HD590, if not better.

Jun 28, 2005 at 3:56 PM Post #26 of 70
The answer is absolutely -yes it will- (if based, in terms of personal experience, only on the HD570 which I guess has basicly the same balance as the HD590). I guess there's no room for comparison. It's a different sound altogether, far more detailed, linear, natural than the HD570 could afford.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:34 PM Post #27 of 70
Waiting on my HD595's to arrive. First decent headphones. Mainly selected the 595's because of comfort & sound reviews. I also ordered the HD201's because of reviews and wanted a set of closed headphones. Hope the 201's will supplement my Koss Portapro's for my Iaudio 5 Player.

I also selected the 595's because of the replaceable parts. They don't look too bad either.
eggosmile.gif

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:42 PM Post #28 of 70
Let me pay the ritual congratulations on your fine purchase(s) then !!
tongue.gif
280smile.gif

-edit-
And I'm about to get my pair of HD201 too for my portable...
eggosmile.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 7:19 PM Post #29 of 70
My HD595's arrived today, I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Decent packaging, nothing too fancy. The included mountable headphone stand is a nice touch, although I have no use for it. The 1/4 to 1/8 adapter places too much strain on the mini-stereo plug though, so I wont bother using that either. The headphone itself is nicely built, although not as tough as my DT880's or my HD600/650. Its pretty light, and the pads makes them very comfortable to wear. Cable looks decent, but will swap out for a pair of Cardas soon.

Initial impressions of the sound wasn't as impressive as I thought them to be. It is more forward sounding than the HD600 and HD650, but lacks overall tonal balance. Treble sounds artificial and the bass is sloppy. Mids are decent, but sounds a bit recessed. Nothing too fantastic so far, although the soundstage is beginning to open up a bit.

Perhaps with more burn-in, these headphones will sound better. Until then, these are going into the closet for some major burn-in.

Jun 30, 2005 at 8:50 PM Post #30 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Initial impressions of the sound wasn't as impressive as I thought them to be. It is more forward sounding than the HD600 and HD650, but lacks overall tonal balance. Treble sounds artificial and the bass is sloppy. Mids are decent, but sounds a bit recessed. Nothing too fantastic so far, although the soundstage is beginning to open up a bit.

Perhaps with more burn-in, these headphones will sound better. Until then, these are going into the closet for some major burn-in.

Not a glowing review by a longshot. Please do update us post burn-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back