HD595 Owners
Jul 7, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #61 of 70
Ive read somewhere within headfi that the hd-5xxs have its own built in crossfeed, is this true? Wonder what would make someone say that if it wasn't true though.

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:50 PM Post #62 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
Depends on what kind of bass you want.

I'm looking for a neutral bass with good depth and detail.

I have my Grado's for rockability, so I want something that just middle of the road (ok, maybe a bit more exciting to listen to than 580/600's which are so relaxed/polite in their presentation).

Jul 7, 2005 at 5:56 PM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

I have my Grado's for rockability, so I want something that just middle of the road (ok, maybe a bit more exciting to listen to than 580/600's which are so relaxed/polite in their presentation).

I believe the HD595 could be it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #64 of 70
IMO, the DT880 are much better for that, especially with the Cardas upgrade. Cant say about stock though, but Duncan has done a review comparing stock vs. Cardas. You should give that a read.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #65 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by warpdriver

Well you have to listen to them yourself, i can't guarantee that you will find what you want with hd595 but i can tell you it takes 2 months for me to fully appreciates hd595 and its bass just sound natural to me and i hope newer cans will have that kind of bass. As for dt880 , i never hear it so i can't say anything but i have a feeling that hd595 makes a pretty good all rounder.

Most importantly , its the synergy btn your ears and the headphone

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:04 PM Post #66 of 70
I seem to use the equalizer more that most folks on this forum. It's all in
how the recording was mixed when produced. Each sound engineer is different
and produces his music differently. Because of this, I use the equalizer to bring out what I prefer.

Since most of us agree the HD595 is neutral, I find the equalizer enhances
the sound for me when necessary. Some recordings need nothing, but, Most
benefit.

Which brings me to this question: If you are not pleased with the 595's
bass, why don't you just tweak it with the equalizer? I suggest this would
apply to any good Can.

I find the HD595 to be very 3 dimensional and loves a little reverb.......
280smile.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #67 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by OlManRivah
Which brings me to this question: If you are not pleased with the 595's
bass, why don't you just tweak it with the equalizer? I suggest this would
apply to any good Can.

I find the HD595 to be very 3 dimensional and loves a little reverb.......
280smile.gif

Exactly, thats what I do now for my HD280s and plan on doing with the HD595 (when they come in from ecost.com).

For the 280's I just turn up the bass boost on my Audigy 2 ZS it sounds wonderful. I can't wait to hear what the HD595s do.

Jul 8, 2005 at 2:34 AM Post #68 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
Ive read somewhere within headfi that the hd-5xxs have its own built in crossfeed, is this true?

Uhh, not as far as I can tell. If I feed a completely left-channel signal in, I get entirely left-channel response; same for right channel--nothing is crossfed.

Quote:

Wonder what would make someone say that if it wasn't true though.

No idea. I'd re-check the original post where you saw this.

Jul 8, 2005 at 5:42 AM Post #69 of 70
Which should I buy - Musical Fidelity XCan V3 or Lehmann Black Cube Linear? To be used with high impedence headphones (Senn 580, 650)? BTW, still warming up the 650s, sound has improved but bass overwhelms all clarity/soundstaging/instrument separation . . . another 100 hours to go!

Jul 8, 2005 at 8:39 PM Post #70 of 70
As I continue to learn more and more about my new HD595 Cans, I come to the realization that these Cans reproduce exactly what is supplied to them.

Since they are not bass emphasizing, they do not cover up any of the lower
mid range frequencies. If you are listening to tracks from a tape recorder,
or tracks that have been copied from tapes, you will be disappointed. Any
tape hiss will be heard through the 595's. My speaker system masks this
distortion somewhat, as do my other Cans. Vinyl is no better. The needle, as it picks up scratches and irregularities in the grove, will be conveyed
directly to the Headsets. Again, speaker systems are more tolerant as are my other headsets.

Good CD quality tracks are a must with these headphones. Anything less is
going to disappoint. Also, since they are of open design, they need a quiet
environment to appreciate. I kept reading on the reviews and discussions
about how these cans are not for bad recordings. I now understand why. It also is obvious why someone using other Cans would be in for a shock when they hear their recordings with the HD595.

I spent hours converting old tapes to ogg and MP3 for my Iaudio 5 MP3 player. My Portapros can handle them, but, not the HD595. Any distortion caused by low bitrate or noise canceling software can easily be heard with these Cans.

I don't even try anymore, these recordings are so irritating.

I now delegate the 595 to quality CD or DVD tracks where it shines. I must
emphasize the need for good clear audio tracks with the HD595. IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back