HD580 just dropped to $125 on amazon.com
Dec 19, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #91 of 151
Just saw this thread. I would buy it if I could afford it right now: I have wanted to hear a real Sennheiser and this is an incredible price.

Dec 19, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #92 of 151
Just sold my A-T ATH-A500, wasn't looking for anything new, but just can't pass up since it's so well regarded, particularly at this price....

What are the musical genres that show off the 580 best? Anyone tried opamp rolling with these guys? I have a Go-Vibe III and the cheap way for me to tweak amp-wise is to just try different OpAmps.

Dec 19, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #94 of 151
I'm leaning towards getting one, pretty sweet deal
just got few quick questions
I have a X-fi xtreme music sound card
Will I get decent sound, connected directly to my soundcard?
I also have a logitech 5500, will it help if I connect it through that?

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:07 AM Post #95 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtremesho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm leaning towards getting one, pretty sweet deal
just got few quick questions
I have a X-fi xtreme music sound card
Will I get decent sound, connected directly to my soundcard?
I also have a logitech 5500, will it help if I connect it through that?

Depends on your ear, I guess. I think I got a decent, no actually good, sound from the 580 unamped through motherboard soundcard. I only hear a little bit of refinement with the original master amp and emu1212m.

I think, you should try it first, then, decide if you like it unamped.

Dec 19, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #96 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by wafflesomd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How would you compare these to the MDr-V6's?

the v6's bass is pretty much only one note. Besides it's very overwhelming. The 580's quite neutral, I think. Slightly not as neutral as the 595, but definitely not on the bass heavy side as the v6.

That's about all I can remember since I don't have the 7506 anymore.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #97 of 151
I love the V6's, but honestly, there's no comparison. About the only thing better with the V6 is some ruthless detail and decent isolation. The bass is a monster in the V6. That's good in some circumstances, and I love it in many ways and will probably never get rid of it.
basshead.gif

However, the HD580 is just on another level. Bass is almost as strong, but runs much deeper, cleaner - and with detail. Compared to the V6, the highs are a little recessed, but that allows a beautiful, warm midrange to come through - something almost entirely absent in the V6.

Then there's the fact that it's an open headphone - the music will open up compared to the V6, but it won't lose impact. That's difficult to imagine until you've tried it, but it's true. At the same time, everyone in the room will hear it, so keep that in mind.

Finally, the comfort is just unparalleled for a headphone that's large enough to completely cover even the largest ears. The headband is unbelievably comfortable, too. Just superb comfort is present all the way around.

The only thing I'd disagree with somewhat is this discussion of unamped/soundcards/motherboards. While it is true that the HD580 can be played without a good source or an amp, you'll want to pursue those as soon as possible. Far from a disadvantage, you'll find that it will continue to improve in sound quality with everything you throw at it - swallowing $1000 amps and saying, "give me more." Yet, a reasonble CMoy with proper attention to voltage (2-9V batteries are best) can overcome much of the power threshold in the Senn - the rest is in detail and subtlety (lots of it to harvest, though!).

On the other hand, the V6 is adequate with the voltage from portable players: only the bass tightens up with a good amp. Unfortunately, amped V6-highs may form daggers into your skull, while the midrange voices can become shrill.

Personally, I think a headphone that can grow with your tastes like the Sennheiser HD580 is a very worthy investment. Certainly - as one of the best headphones ever made, every headphone fan should purchase one.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:08 PM Post #98 of 151
I will agree that the V6's are very heavy on bass, but that works out great for the music I listen to.

Which my main style of music happens to be Drum and Bass, littl pendulem, get some ltj bukem in there.

I do notice, sometime, the sound will echo in my ear, its very irratating. Is this a result fo the headphones, or my ears? Cuase I'm sure they could be cleaned out.

Dec 19, 2006 at 7:26 PM Post #99 of 151
Thanks for all the info on these headphones.

I'm really excited to hear them. It's gonna be tough to wait until Jan. 4 to get them (estimated arrival).
frown.gif

I think I will go ahead and try them straight outta the PC for now. I will want to use my iPod eventually, so I'm going to have to start looking into some sort of amplification. Maybe I'll try to make it multipurpose and get something I can use at work and with the iPod.

I work with Phlite (from this thread http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=202019) and he has the 555s. I tried them out and they sound pretty nice. I'm actually a little concerned now about the open design. He apparently listens to his music at a much lower volume then I do. When I tried his out, we could hear my music outside the headphone.
blink.gif
I'm guessing the 580s will be the same in this regard. Oh well.
600smile.gif
Our office environment actually has noise canceling in the ceiling, so it shouldn't carry very far. Maybe these better headphones will make it easier to listen at lower volumes hehe

Dec 19, 2006 at 8:53 PM Post #100 of 151
Just got mine about 30 mins ago
580smile.gif
They sound great so far out of my laptop but I can definately tell that they will need an amp. 300ohms my god. Gonna set up the CD player on my HT receiver and listen out of that and see how much better it sounds. Im so glad I bought these.

Dec 19, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #101 of 151
So as Hayduke said I have the HD555's ... only a month old lol! But I'm tempted to get these too! Question though is will I notice a ton of difference? Can someone possibly compare and contrast the 555 and the 580?? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 21, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #104 of 151
So the mailroom calls me this morning and says I have a UPS package. I figure it's the software I ordered last week, so I head down to get the box. When I get to my desk and open it, it's my new headphones!!!!!!!!
orphsmile.gif
k1000smile.gif
eggosmile.gif
3000smile.gif

I ordered them Monday and got them today with supersaver free shipping!

Amazon is soooo awesome!
580smile.gif
<-- me now

Dec 22, 2006 at 7:31 AM Post #105 of 151
Same here, mine arrived today. $125 for these is such an incredible value. My audio setup is just a handful of DAP's through a CMoy, and with such modest equipment, I really can't discern the 580's from the 650's at the nearby Apple Store. That's a good thing, because I can actually afford the 580's.

These are my first open cans. Totally different experience. It's not like sound being shot at your ear as it is with closed cans. It's almost like your ears are in a completely different place. I have no idea why these aren't the de facto answer to every "What's the best headphones for under [price higher than $125]?" thread out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back