HD580 just dropped to $125 on amazon.com
Dec 29, 2006 at 7:06 PM Post #136 of 151
Thanks for the input silverrain, Davesrose. It does seem that I will probably find the 650's more enjoyable, but both of you have striked arguments that make me want the 580 as well
tongue.gif

I think I may settle on the 580's for now. Once I get a little more cashflow in, I'll jump for the 650's as well as a new amp or source.

Dec 29, 2006 at 9:25 PM Post #137 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by s0matic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input silverrain, Davesrose. It does seem that I will probably find the 650's more enjoyable, but both of you have striked arguments that make me want the 580 as well
tongue.gif

I think I may settle on the 580's for now. Once I get a little more cashflow in, I'll jump for the 650's as well as a new amp or source.

FWIW -- the 580's and 650's sound great thru my little HeadRoom Total Airhead (only $149). In fact, ALL my various phones do.
My more expensive amps just put more icing on the cake....
600smile.gif

Good luck!

Dec 29, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #138 of 151
Perhaps the best endorsement I can give for the 580s is the fact that they have definitely withstood the test of time for me. My HD580 IIs were purchased in Dec '93 (along with Headroom's Supreme amp) and are still going strong. Sure I've replaced the earcups and headband pads as well as changing the grills and cable. But the bottom line is that despite newer models that have come on the scene that I've auditioned, I've not been compelled to retire the 580s
smily_headphones1.gif
They remain my main use cans.

Dec 30, 2006 at 3:17 AM Post #140 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bubuna /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the heads up OP! Wow my first high end cans, sounds good through my m-audio revolution sound card.

I had the same setup (580's directly from the m-audio revo [7.1 in my case]) and I thought the 580's were pretty good.. until I picked up a pair of audio technica ath-ad500's. I was really, really, really impressed with the ad500's--they sound amazing coming out of the m-audio with no amplification; so much so that I thought something was wrong with my 580's. I played them through my older sony receiver with some vinyl and they sounded much better, so I was reassured that nothing too terrible was wrong. After doing a lot of reading on here and elsewhere, I'm thinking that because the AD500's are 66ohm vs. the 580's being 300ohm, I (we?) really need some sort of amp to unlock the magic of the 580's.

Until I buy an appropriate, proven amp to couple with the 580's, I'll be enjoying my AD500's
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: I should note I've had the 580's for over a year now with this setup.

Jan 3, 2007 at 4:32 AM Post #141 of 151
Just ordered them along with a home-vibe. My first real headphone setup (unamped HD280s don't really count)!

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:58 AM Post #142 of 151
Oooh it looks like these things stayed in stock past the holiday season!

Unfortunately it looks like I may be done purchasing headphones for a while (I'm quite happy with my 501/880 setup) and I'll be working on getting things like a DAC or building myself a crossfeed filter in the meantime...

Jan 3, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #143 of 151
Anybody own more than 1 pair of 580s?

Anybody taking advantage of these low prices to stock up on more than 1 pair of 580s?!

=gregg=

Jan 3, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #144 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Anybody taking advantage of these low prices to stock up on more than 1 pair of 580s?!

=gregg=

I've thought about it...at that price....must...resist...hoarding....

Jan 3, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #146 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by greggf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

=gregg=

That wasnt my intention .... but yes. I bought a couple extra pair for Christmas gifts and still have them. My daughter liked my AKG K81DJ's best for her computer and my brother got rid of his preamp that had a headphone jack.
blink.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #147 of 151
Just got mine in. They are soooo much more comfortable than my HD280's. There's a little clamping, but I actually like it...it kind of feels soothing (like your temples are being massaged). It also sounds much better than my 280's even straight from the computer (elpac power supply for the amp is coming)! Soundstage is great. In REO Speedwagon's "Keep on Lovin' You" there's a part where a butterfly is flying around your head and it almost tickles:
580smile.gif
! Can't wait to hear what this is like on an amp...

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:29 PM Post #148 of 151
My initial impressions are exactly the opposite... They are soooo uncomfortable compared to me SAs, almost jaw crushing!

Are far as sound goes, I'm running them through my Corda Head five, bass quality is comparable, bass impact is slightly better, sound stage is a whole lot smaller.

Still for $115 they seem a good buy, I'll give them a good listen and a burn in and see if they improve
580smile.gif

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #149 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My initial impressions are exactly the opposite... They are soooo uncomfortable compared to me SAs, almost jaw crushing!

Are far as sound goes, I'm running them through my Corda Head five, bass quality is comparable, bass impact is slightly better, sound stage is a whole lot smaller.

Still for $115 they seem a good buy, I'll give them a good listen and a burn in and see if they improve
580smile.gif

The clamping is supposed to get a lot "better" from what I hear (although I like it...less chance of headphone hair
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Jan 5, 2007 at 9:43 PM Post #150 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautikal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The clamping is supposed to get a lot "better" from what I hear (although I like it...less chance of headphone hair
smily_headphones1.gif
).

Well thats good to hear... no pun intended
wink.gif
I think I will leave them stretched out while I'm not wearing them for a few nights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back