HD580 just dropped to $125 on amazon.com
Dec 8, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #16 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm unfamiliar with 580s...how do they compare to 600s/650s?

I ordered 650s and thought the synergy was extremely poor with my equipment and returned them. Veil city. I heard both 600s and 650s at a meet and thought they sounded great--through the finest tube amps known to man.

But I really do enjoy my 595s, which are far easier to please. I do wish they had better bass though.

Where do 580s fit in Sennheiser's lineup?

The Senn. 580 - 6XX series are all very similar. My experience with the 580 & 650 coupled to the HeadFive was far to dark for my liking. Presupposed the amps signature is also bloody warm and tipped in its bass response; ergo No Synergy going on there unforunatly. I went on to couple the HeadFive with the AKG-701s for a much better match. However I wouldn't dismiss the 580s potential at all with the right (read brighter) or neutral more powerful amplification. Also, I always thought I wanted to go "warm' because i detest a too bright treble and that's why I initially went to the Senns offerings. However, the AKGs just was so much more clearer in the midrange with a limited amount of Hf nastys with the H5, I was suprised I wouldn't miss the bass and warmth as much as I thought.
But I'm almost ready to give the Senns another shot at these prices and now that I have an amplifier arsenal to match with;-}

This shouldn't disuade anyone else from the experiment tho. The Senn line will cover the hf warts of digital sources and less than stellar masters/mixed music...

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #17 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, 580s and 600s share the same drivers (the 600s used to aparently be better balanced when they were the flagship Senn). So the only difference really is carbon fiber headband and metal grills with the 600s. Metal grills would give the 580s slightly tighter bass response and more open soundstage. Very slight though...but you can always spend $16 to get 600 grills (only takes several months to wait for Sennheiser to get them in stock).

I called up SennUSA, ordered the grills, and got them about 1-2wks later. This was a month or 2 ago, so either I ordered at the exact time they had them in stock, or I'm just lucky!

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:10 AM Post #18 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Senn. 580 - 6XX series are all very similar. My experience with the 580 & 650 coupled to the HeadFive was far to dark for my liking.

Ditto--couldn't agree more. I've read that the Headfive is already considered a "warm" amp--something that added to my desire to purchase it--but I too felt that the 650 was really a bad match for it. I kept turning up the volume hoping to get "closer" to the music--but it was fruitless. Maybe that's why 595s are such a good match for it.

Anyway--back on topic, I had no idea 580s were so close to HD600--if I wind up with a tube amp or a GLite amp one day I'll come looking for them pretty quickly. What a deal.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #19 of 151
Quote:

Oops. I used the word "better bass" when I meant "MORE bass" in reference to 595s.

I read your mind!!! Also just read it as "more" bass instead of "better" bass because that's what people usually say about the 595 (even though it's drivers are the same as the 580/600....just different enclosures). I guess with the headfive amp, it wouldn't get "veiled" the way other Senns might get with a warm amp.

Quote:

Ditto--couldn't agree more. I've read that the Headfive is already considered a "warm" amp--something that added to my desire to purchase it--but I too felt that the 650 was really a bad match for it. I kept turning up the volume hoping to get "closer" to the music--but it was fruitless. Maybe that's why 595s are such a good match for it.

Anyway--back on topic, I had no idea 580s were so close to HD600--if I wind up with a tube amp or a GLite amp one day I'll come looking for them pretty quickly. What a deal.

You'd better get the 580s while they last!!!!
eggosmile.gif
As for amps that synergize, Headamps are neutral and synergize with every can....they're safe. I'm looking at amps now, and have decided on the Single Power to get some tubey fun (hear they aren't too warm for Senns, but give the 580/600/650 lots of impact). Ray Samuels and Headamp were other amps I was recommended for Sennheisers.

Dec 8, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #21 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by bperboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I called up SennUSA, ordered the grills, and got them about 1-2wks later. This was a month or 2 ago, so either I ordered at the exact time they had them in stock, or I'm just lucky!

So you must have been the one to snatch up the grills before I got them!!!
eggosmile.gif
I ordered mine over a month ago, and still waiting on them......every time I call, they're expecting them to be in stock in a couple weeks. More expensive things (like I needed to get a driver replaced) have been shipped imediately.

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #24 of 151
Quote:

Is Sennheiser discontinuing them or are you just referring to the low price?

Yep.....Sennheiser has been threatening to discontinue for years (I got mine 8 years ago when Sennheiser was saying they were being discontinued!). But what with the 650 being out, looks like Sennheiser is really phasing them out. They stopped selling them in Europe.

the 501s were like that a few months ago.....stopped being sold in Europe, then insanely low prices here....now drying up, so whatever few places still have them are jacking up the price.

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #25 of 151
It figures. I ordered my pair last night for $133 shipped
580smile.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 5:54 AM Post #26 of 151
Man, this is so tempting...
I really need to set aside some money for gifts though.

how's the detail on these? is it comparable to grados?
ive read somewhere that they sound like a refined px100.
that's my main excuse for not jumping all over this sale since im not much of a fan for the px100.

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #27 of 151
We should have a sub-forum for deals or something. Or maybe just notation for the title. Whenever there's a good deal, make a new thread with title "DEAL: Senn 595 for $999" or something.

But yeah, that's an insane deal. Why does Amazon.com rock so much?

Dec 8, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #28 of 151
Does anyone know where thes are made. I read something on another thread that suggested the most recent 580's were made in China and might not sound as well - anyone know about this?
Thanks
Mike

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #29 of 151
Quote:

Originally Posted by toadthedry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know where thes are made. I read something on another thread that suggested the most recent 580's were made in China and might not sound as well - anyone know about this?
Thanks
Mike

are you sure it was the 580's and not other models? my 650's that I bought new this week are stamped 'made in Ireland'. my 580's that are 2 years old are stamped 'made in Ireland'. however, i've heard some of the cheaper senn models aimed to general consumers are assembled in china.

it would seem unlike sennheiser to me to let the sound quality of the 580's slip, regardless of where they're manufactured. they seem like a company that takes their audiophile headphones somewhat seriously.

Dec 8, 2006 at 7:35 AM Post #30 of 151
oy...i caved

but soon i'll look like
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back