HD580/600 intermittency repairs
Apr 6, 2005 at 5:11 PM Post #61 of 79
This issue is so weird.

I finally narrowed the springs in the left head phone, the one that had the problem, and the problem was still there but it was a tad better then before.

In the past when I had this problem, I'd buy a new cable and itd work again for a few months.

Anyways, just now I simply switched the cable around, putting the R cable in the L phone, and the L cable in R phone. The problem follows the cable, but its not nearly as bad in the R phone as it was in the L phone. It doesnt even cut out at all, sometimes itll just make a very quiet fuzz sound.

So what really causes this? I don't see how it could be the springs when the problem is following the cable. Are there any other solutions?

Apr 6, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #62 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynch03
So what really causes this? I don't see how it could be the springs when the problem is following the cable. Are there any other solutions?

The cable is the cullprit.

Apr 6, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #63 of 79
Wow...just bought some electrical contact cleaner (couldnt find the exact pro gold stuff) and it made a huge difference. It still cuts out every now and then, but not nearly as much as it use to. It's very tolerable now.

Has anyone ever had any of these intermittent problems with better cables? Like cardas, equinox, oelbalch, blue dragon? Or does it only happen with the stock?

Apr 11, 2005 at 3:13 PM Post #64 of 79
Bump for previous question. Would really like to know if im better off just buying more expensive problems to avoid this problem completely.

I was just looking at the plugs to figure out how the hell the right one works fine and the left one doesnt and noticed the right one's pins or whatever you wanna call them, arent completely straight, one of them is dent slightly. This btw is the plug that works. It also seems that one of the pins is a lot thicker then the other.

With the left one, they are perfectly straight and they seem about the same size.

Apr 11, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #65 of 79
I have two pairs of 580s, 600s and 650s, and I have had intermittency problems with all of them, to varying degrees. The problem is partly the spring contacts in the headphones - which the repair described earlier in this thread does not always fix, and is rarely a permanent solution when it does - and partly the cable, since some headphones are worse than others, and some cables are worse than others. For me, after the stock cable the Equinox has been the worst (not surprising since it has the same connectors as the stock), followed by the Cardas, and the Blue Dragon (which is okay most of the time, as long as I don't move). The good news is that the Oehlbach cable fixes this problem even on my worst headphones, so if you're using the stock cable, I suggest trying the Oehlbach which, in addition to fixing the intermittency problem (at least with my headphones) is also a good upgrade on the stock cable and is inexpensive.

Apr 12, 2005 at 12:35 AM Post #66 of 79
Thanks for the info
smily_headphones1.gif
I can't find the oelbalch cables on the Meier site tho
frown.gif

Apr 12, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #68 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by lynch03
Bump

Anyone know where I can find the oelbach cable?

I sort of figured it's sold out, since it's no longer listed there. Too bad, since I wanted one as well.

/JF

Apr 12, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #69 of 79
Have you tried emailing Jan Meier? I'm pretty sure he still has them, they just might not be listed on the site anymore.

Apr 17, 2005 at 6:28 AM Post #71 of 79
I still haven't been able to find oehlbach cables
frown.gif
. Is there any out there similar? I'm probably just going to order another stock cable on monday if I can't find an oehlbach or something similar, this problem is too annoying
frown.gif

Jun 4, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #72 of 79
i just tried this and it improved my problem a bit. can i just solder the connectors to the spring? i doubt im gonna ever replace the cable on these as if i were going it i would be buying a rad cable for the 650s i will have already bought by then...

rj

Oct 9, 2005 at 10:29 AM Post #73 of 79
Up to now i tried those repairs several times but it seems that somehow the problem is slowly getting worse, i.e. repairs needed more often. I had those cans for quite some years and i'm pretty sure i got them a good deal before '99. My guess is that the little springs are really really worn out.
Did somebody ever come up with a solution that maybe stops the problem for good?
I might even try soldering the cables to the little springs, if only i could find my soldering iron.
rolleyes.gif

Has anyone ever tried something like that and would care to share what happened?

Oct 11, 2005 at 3:42 PM Post #74 of 79
Yeah I'm interested in this too. I got a pair of hd545s used and while there's no intermittency, the volume is more prominent in the right ear (irritatingly so.) At the moment I'm wondering what the best way to go about this mod would be on them (can't peel the back grill off like the one pictured [or can you? I can't find it]) If I can successfully pull this off, I'll post my results
(And if anyone finds out more about soldering the connectors, do tell)

Oct 11, 2005 at 5:52 PM Post #75 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eien
(can't peel the back grill off like the one pictured [or can you? I can't find it])

The old 5x5 series come appart same as their big brothers. Remove the cable, unsnap the headband (just apply a little pressure, they are just plastic peg snaps, meant to come off), then the grill and the driver assembly/mount come appart from the grille fairly easy. The hard part is taking out the inner driver assembly off the mount without breaking any of the plastic tabs... and then doing your mod without accidentally snapping a lead wire.

You can't remove/replace the grille with the cable in place, though you could cut the grille so you could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back