HD580/600 intermittency repairs
Jun 5, 2004 at 11:37 AM Post #46 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
Everyone that has a 580/600/650 will encounter this problem.

-Ed

Dammit.
So roughly how long will my belovered 650's last before I start having intermittency problems?

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #48 of 79
If there is a known intermittency problem then why would you want to change the cable out? I would guess you would increase the chances of this happening by pulling on cables connected to the springs. Also how common (or uncommon) is this problem with brand new Senn's?

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by ratdog
If there is a known intermittency problem then why would you want to change the cable out? I would guess you would increase the chances of this happening by pulling on cables connected to the springs. Also how common (or uncommon) is this problem with brand new Senn's?

You replace the cable because they sound better, or because your old one is broken. The cables are meant to be detatchable, but the design was flawed. New 580/600/650's will still be prone to the problem, but not out of the box. How long or if at all varies, it's a spring after all, and every one is different.

All of the other newer models are designed differently, so they don't have the problem.

Also, I can tell you from experience you don't have to pull the cable out at all for it to happen.

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:25 AM Post #50 of 79
I understand why someone would want to pull the cable out. I just questioned if it's worth it to gain a small (or big-to some people) sound quality upgrade. The reason I bring this up is I might want to do an upgrade in the future but I don't want to cause an unwanted intermittency problem.

Jun 7, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #51 of 79
As I understand from the earlier thread, Sennheiser redesigned the connecters on the 650 to avoid this problem. In short, don't count on it happening (or so Sennheiser would have us believe).

Jun 7, 2004 at 9:47 AM Post #52 of 79
If you don't have to pull it out. Don't.
wink.gif

-Ed

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #54 of 79
lol dammit i broke the thin wire, i done it! someone had to do it right?
biggrin.gif

good thing i am upgrading to hd-650 anyway... but still, kinda sux to cuz the other side still works. how much was the transducer again? $60ish?

edit : ack, its more like $80... CSR suggested me i might as well get me a new headphone
redface.gif

Oct 27, 2004 at 2:43 PM Post #55 of 79
If anyone is still battling the HD580 intermittency problem...

I had an old pair of HD580s that had sat unused for several years, as I had that problem. I tried the repairs mentioned above to the spring connector, that worked for a few days.

I also purchased the Oelbach cable from Meier-Audio. That did the trick, much better connection, and the intermittent problem is gone. And better sound to boot!

Jan 16, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #56 of 79
My goodness thank god!

Since the last three months i was kind of sad because my good ol' HD600's had exactly this problem. Somehow i was already thinking about upgrading to the 650's because of that. Then again, since the last 5 or more years i liked my 600's more and more and i don't really want to part with them.

Thanks for coming up with this repair howto and Thanks to Edwood for posting these images again in this thread!
The actual repairs took like 10 minutes and will hopefully keep my beloved cans working some more years.
600smile.gif

Jan 17, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #57 of 79
Tried it, still doesn't really work.

This isn't the first time I've had this intermittent problem. First time I replaced the cable with a Clou Red, and everything was fine. Now I tried the spring fix (maybe I don't have the spring fully stretched, but it looks right and I don't want to overwork it), but it's still intermittent signal..

Apr 5, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #58 of 79
I think I just broke it.

One of the springs tries to come up out of the hole when i twist it, does that mean i mustve broke the wire or anything else?

I tried it once earlier, and the sound cutting out problem was worse then it was before. Now i hope they just work...

EDIT: Ok i still get sound out of that phone..and right now it sounds fine, just as usual. Is there anyway i broke something and just havent noticed it yet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back