HD555 vs ATH-AD700?
Oct 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DrWebster

Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

Just starting to get into the high(er)-end headphone scene. I've been using Shure IEMs for years now (first the E2's, currently the SE210s with custom molds), but I've decided I'd like a new pair of full-size cans. I'm pretty much only going to be using them while listening to music at the computer in my home office, so I'm leaning towards open-air models. I've got a set of Sony MDR-V700s which, while they sound decent (albeit a bit bass heavy), are ridiculously uncomfortable.

For the time being, I'll be using whatever I buy unamped, connected to the output of my iMac. As time goes on and the budget allows I'll likely look into an amp/DAC. Based on reviews here and elsewhere, I think I've narrowed down my list to the Sennheiser HD555 and Audio-Technica ATH-AD700, both of which are within my price range of $100-150. What I value most in sound signature is tight but not overly emphasized bass, present and clear mids, and smooth but detailed highs (sometimes I find the highs on my SE210's to be a bit harsh, though I'm rather happy with the sound from the E2s).

So, any opinions on which of those two models would better suit me? Sadly I don't think there are any shops here in the Minneapolis metro area where I can take either for a test listen (at least not in a quieter environment -- not sure I'd want to demo open-air cans in the middle of the Guitar Center showroom), so I'm pretty much buying blind (or deaf, rather). Alternatively, any other models that I'm missing that may work even better for me?

If it helps, my music taste pretty much runs the gamut, with an emphasis on pop/rock. Some of my favorite artists include John Mayer, Sara Bareilles, James Taylor, Barenaked Ladies, Incubus, Mute Math, Lisa Loeb and Hikaru Utada.

Thanks!

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #2 of 8
I do not own, nor have heard the AD700, but I do own the HD555s. The sound quality for the 555s is IMO perfect. The highs are not too shiny or brilliant, and the lows have attack and punch without being overdrawn. No instrument bleeds into the next and everything has amazing clarity. I would have to see what others say about the AD700, but I think you would be well suited to purchase the HD555s. 

Oct 22, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #3 of 8
People who have heard both generally find the AD700 to be superior, though it will vary person to person.  DT440 could be another alternative and it sounds better than both but it isn't as comfortable as the AD700 or HD555.

Oct 23, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I guess that brings up another point, comfort. I've read lots of good things about the HD555's comfort, but the "wings" on the AD700s concern me a little. Any thoughts on that?

I found the HD555 to clamp a lot so I find the AD700 much more comfy.  Some people have fit problems with the AD700 though.  I suppose the HD555 has better balance and an overall smoother warmer sound. I just found it to be a bit dull and uninvolving.  The AD700 has more detail, clarity, separation and soundstage as well as faster tighter bass (though a bit less bass quantity).  So I guess decide what type of sound your looking for and go from there since comort will vary for person to person on both.

Oct 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I guess that brings up another point, comfort. I've read lots of good things about the HD555's comfort, but the "wings" on the AD700s concern me a little. Any thoughts on that?

The AD700s are more comfortable.  There is no pressure at all on the wings, it contours to your head and allows a more snug fit, it has almost no clamp at all whereas the Sennheisers do.   AD700s are superior to the HD555, both are too close to tell which is more clear sounding.  Both are lacking that bass.  If your budget is $150, you can buy a small portable amp and the AD700s and still have cash left over.  Your pick of any Cmoy or a Pav2, lots of that floating around the for sale area here for cheap.

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for the advice everyone. I ended up ordering a pair of the AD700's from Amazon -- can't beat $86 with free shipping. The HD555's were only $102, so even if I don't like the AT's, at what I paid for them I could just give them to my wife (who is much less picky about headphones) and pick up the Sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back